Spyderco Rescue Knives for SD

This is a discussion on Spyderco Rescue Knives for SD within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Even though trained knife fighters and internet ninjas will tell you about how you need a fixed blade in a fight and that stabbing is ...

Thread: Spyderco Rescue Knives for SD

Spyderco Rescue Knives for SD

Even though trained knife fighters and internet ninjas will tell you about how you need a fixed blade in a fight and that stabbing is better than cutting, the truth is that most people carry a folder and slash under stress.

When I first started teaching commercially I had several students turn up for classes who were "certified" under other instructors for edged weapons. What we found out during the Folder into the Fight drill was that they along with the novices responded the same way when forced back and cornered. Their arms came out to the side delivering ineffectual slashes.

Then I was having a conversation with a buddy is at the time was working for a federal law enforcement agency and the only knife they were allowed to carry was their issued Spyderco Rescue Jr. These two things led to Inverted Edge Tactics. I found that by holding the knife blade up I was able to exploit the weaknesses of the human body and only allow one cyclic pulling/ripping/tearing motion.

It is never a good idea to carry an illegal weapon as a law abiding citizen. A good person will hesitate to use it when they need it. If you are looking for a good, solid SD knife check out the Spyderco Rescue models. They come in several colors and because of their intended use fly below the radar and are hidden in plain site. Imagine using the below pictured knife using the video below. Who knows, you may even cut a seat belt with it too - George

MODERN COMBATIVE SYSTEMS - Inverted Edge Tactics Teaser Video

2. Remove Ads

interesting. i was reading over some stuff that Michael Janich had said, and he mentioned that during his testing, he found that the serrated blades were not as effective as a plain edge during a SD situation. He found the serration would get caught on clothing and end up not doing any damage to an attacker.

Since these knives are made to cut through clothes I don't think that will be an issue. Definitely not against the palm, groin, and arm pit.- George

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    The serrations and cutting effectiveness issue is typically for heavy and/or loose clothing, actually. Loose jackets and heavier materials will sometimes tend to get caught on the serrations "traction" and can slide the material across the skin instead of cutting through as efficiently as a plain edge blade can. This doesn't mean that the blade won't cut, it just removes a bit of it's "bite" as part of the stroke is moving material around until the blade overcomes this traction and starts cutting.
    This situation doesn't come up much in a rescue setting as you will naturally tend to pull the material taught before you start cutting in the case of clothing for a safer cut anyway. You will see pretty similar situations with automobiles where the "toothiness" of the serrated blade can really cut well into the multi-weave construction of seatbelts and the like.
    Last edited by psychophipps; May 12th, 2010 at 08:44 AM. Reason: correction

i just bought the SALT sypderco....with the serrated edge and yellow handle....i love it!!

Quote Originally Posted by pelco44 View Post
    i just bought the SALT sypderco....with the serrated edge and yellow handle....i love it!!
    which salt model? there are several with the spyder edge and yellow handle

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckles View Post
    which salt model? there are several with the spyder edge and yellow handle
    He's probably talking about the Atlantic Salt (4 5/8" handle with 3 5/8" blade) or the Saver Salt (Delica size at 4" with a 3" blade).

I personally have a yellow handled PE Atlantic Salt. Works great & the H1 steel's as rust proof as you can get.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Quote Originally Posted by cockedlocked01 View Post
    He's probably talking about the Atlantic Salt (4 5/8" handle with 3 5/8" blade) or the Saver Salt (Delica size at 4" with a 3" blade).

I personally have a yellow handled PE Atlantic Salt. Works great & the H1 steel's as rust proof as you can get.
    i have a fully spyder edge atlantic salt. it used to have yellow scales but i dyed them blue. i also stripped the coating off the titanium clip and anodized it.

Sponsor
    I have a twenty+ year old version of that knife that Spyderco originally called the Mariner. It is a very effective blade and the knife lends it's self nicely to an edge forward P'Kal grip which looks to tie in well with mercop's IET style.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Links