Plain edge or Partially serrated

This is a discussion on Plain edge or Partially serrated within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by joffe If its a general purpose utility knife then sure, partially serrated. Great for cutting stuff. If it's a dedicated SD knife ...

View Poll Results: Plain Edge or Partially Serrated? Blade shape not an issue.

Voters
146. You may not vote on this poll
  • Plain Edge

83 56.85%
  • Partially Serrated

64 43.84%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Plain edge or Partially serrated

Quote Originally Posted by joffe View Post
    If its a general purpose utility knife then sure, partially serrated. Great for cutting stuff.

If it's a dedicated SD knife then the plain edge is better. Great for cutting goblins.

Oh yeah, point. Prefer a normal point to the tanto. Tanto sure looks cool but.. not much else.
    I feel the need to defend the tanto blade. The tanto was not designed to open boxes, strip wire, whittle wood, do your camp chores, or cut ingredients for your dinner. They were designed to penetrate. Penetrate thick clothing, soft armor, rib cages, breast bones, and skulls. They are designed to get past the things that cover and protect vital organs. It is a fighting blade plain and simple. That is why a high percentage of special operations personnel such as Rangers, Special Forces, Seals, and SWAT team members carry them. They don't really make a good everyday cutter, but weren't meant to. For a defensive (or offensive for that matter) knife they blow the other blade designs away. I carry a RAT Izula for daily cutting needs and a tanto for the same reason we carry pistols, that God forbid we every need to take a life to protect our own or that of our families.
    Last edited by huntemup; May 17th, 2010 at 11:02 PM. Reason: More added.
    When seconds count, the Police are minutes away!

2. Remove Ads

I carry a knife as a tool not a weapon, my lock blade is a combo, my multi-tool has a plain knife and full serrated. The serrations will get me out of a seatbelt much faster and if seconds count, I want those seconds, otherwise it's a convenience to have them as an option.

Glock Certified Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by canav844 View Post
    I carry a knife as a tool not a weapon, my lock blade is a combo, my multi-tool has a plain knife and full serrated. The serrations will get me out of a seatbelt much faster and if seconds count, I want those seconds, otherwise it's a convenience to have them as an option.
    I also carry a knife as a tool. I was simply disputing the post that stated tantos look cool but not much else.
    When seconds count, the Police are minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by huntemup View Post
    I also carry a knife as a tool. I was simply disputing the post that stated tantos look cool but not much else.
    Oh I was just answering the OP's why I choose the way I do. If I was looking to carry a knife for SD, then I would most certainly be seeking out one specifically designed for the task at hand. I've read the SAS fight and survival handbooks (light casual reading, I'm more of a manuals and less of a stories person), and they point out some of the very distinct differences in knives for combat vs knifes for survival tools; and if I was seeking one for combat that smooth edge is critical for getting the clean deep penetration. What you define the purpose of the knife for is a large part of why you choose the features that you do (I don't know many CCing a bolt action .22lr rifle); and so I felt including that in my description was important.

Glock Certified Armorer

I carry a SOG X-ray Vision which is partially serrated.
    The best preventative medicine is superior fire power.

It varies by length. I like my short knives to have a combo edge (serrations work great for sharpening pencils), and the long knives have a plain edge.

My knives are half and half. I have a few that are plain edge and a few that are partially serrated. Just depends what I feel like taking that day.
    BETTER TO BE TRIED BY 12 THAN CARRIED BY 6
    Hesitation kills faster than a bullet.
    If your head is up your *$$ you are unaware of danger. You are in the perfect position to kiss it goodbye.
    Open Carry LAW for Pennsylvania
    http://www.thecrimsonpirate.com/rtkb...pdate_2009.pdf

if it is a self defense only knife, then go ahead and go with straight.
    if it is multi use, partially serrated to cut things like rope.

plan on it being only for self defense and not have another utility knife on you?
    At some point in time, you will wish you hadn't.
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Well I will say it. I cant sharpen a knife for the life of me. I carry a combo. I get buddies to sharpen my knife every once in a while, but I like the serration for when it gets dull. I am probably in the minority in this crowd, but that may be something to think about. Who are you selling to? Will they be as adamant about knife sharpening as others? I have carried both drop and tanto and I would have to say I like the drop best.

Ha 50-50 as of my vote! Guess this poll doesnt help much huh?
    Last edited by Bkrazy; May 18th, 2010 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Voting results

I like them all plain edge.

Only serrated blade I ever kept for more than a few months.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

I don't carry a knife specifically for tactical reasons. I carry them for work and utility reasons. I have one plain edge knife that I really like, but overall, I prefer the combo edges. I have a small Winchester combo for work, and it's been with me for four years doing the toughest jobs I require of it (you could only imagine). Haven't sharpened it yet since brand new. On the go, I like my Gerber Paraframe with the plain edge....each tool has it's purpose I reckon.

my "tactical " knives are all plain edge if i can help it, easier to sharpen

if i need serrated, i'd go with my multi tool.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    I carry a stainless Kershaw Leek serrated every day.
    It's not carried for SD but could be used in a pinch.
    ( FYI - I do have several SD knives )
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Plain edge for me. Always. I HATE semi-serrated blades. There really is not much you can't do with a PROPERLY sharpened plain edge that you can do with a serrated edge.

A serrated knife is NOT a saw. A saw has cutting edges that are as wide or wider than the blade body to cut a kerf (path) for the blade to follow; like plowing a path in snow in front of you so you can walk behind. This way the body of the blade does not bind on whatever you are cutting when you get any deeper than the cutting edge. A serrated knife is NOT wide at the cutting edge; it is tapered to a point like a "Real" knife.

In my opinion, all serrations do on a semi-serrated knife is take up valuable real estate that could be dedicated to a nice, sharp, properly beveled plain edge so you can have a longer slicing stroke.

Emrah

Thumbs up ...

Quote Originally Posted by usmc3169 View Post
    For a dedicated SD blade why do you need to have a knife that is easy to sharpen? how often are you using it to defend yourself, and how does it keep getting dull?
    exactly

that's why i have a Spyderco Delica with a completely serrated blade. only thing its cut since i got it was my finger the first time i closed it. i had to get used to the lock on the Delica...

Glock 19 in a Crossbreed supertuck EDC

Ruger LCP W/ CT "the go anywhere gun" EDC

"ALWAYS carry!NEVERtell!" Thumper

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links