CKRT M16-13SF - worth the price?

This is a discussion on CKRT M16-13SF - worth the price? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I picked up this blade for 60 bucks, it's got a 30 day return period so I got time to try it out. First impressions, ...

Thread: CKRT M16-13SF - worth the price?

I picked up this blade for 60 bucks, it's got a 30 day return period so I got time to try it out. First impressions, compared to my previously retired standard CKRT M16, that is is lighter, smaller, and the new auto locking feature instills confidence. The dual 'nubs' (for lack of a better word) can present possible snagging issues when carrying in my jean pocket, but the confidence when doing a forward stab, if ever done, reduces slipping my hand on the blade.

As far as the type of steel, AUS 8, has mixed opinions in another knife forum. When it comes down to laying out what my PRIMARY role my EDC knife will be, I intend to use it to open boxes and plastics and the serrated part can be used for various other tasks. SD is secondary but by a very close margin.

Finding the best knife for the price range of the 13SF is extensive and personable at best. Spyderco has been heavily recommended but there were many votes for Kershaw and Benchmade and Buck. CKRT seems to have a low reputation but it's not blacklisted, just better quality for the same price range as said by a few people on the knife forums.

Let me know if it's worth swapping brands.

Edit: Yeah I misspelled CRKT :)

I carry a CRKT in each pocket. An M16 and M21. Both with the dual tangs (nubs as you call them). I have several folders and none give me the confidence as you said of not slicing my own hand should I ever have to use it in self defence.

As for hanging up, if you practice catching the tang on the back end of the blade on the bottom opening of your pocket as your taking it out you will have a very fast presentation.

CRKT has a good rep. I say carry it for a while and see how you like it. If you decide you don't you could send it back or if you finances allow, toss it in the drawer and get something that you like better. I have some knives that I don't care for and I have them in a fall back drawer. Look at SOG too, you can get a flash 2 for around the same price, same steel, no nubs, assisted open(if legal where you are) locking blade, deep carry pocket clip and many blade and handle configurations, single stage unlock to close. Very nice blade. Good luck.

Jason
    "Put on the whole armor of God..."

Administrator
    Ehh... 60 seems steep for a department store knife. Spyderco does seem to offer the best bang for the buck. I picked one up on a whim, and I actually prefer it over my Benchmades most of the time.
    I do have a CRKT M16, although it is not the 13sf. It resides in my desk drawer and does well opening boxes.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Sponsor
    I like my CRKT M16 a lot and have no snagging problems with the autolawks system but I would not have paid $60 for it. Yours may be a higher quality steel? Ditto on the Flash 2. Great knife that is worth the $60 price tag.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

VIP Member
    I've been carrying a CRKT M-16/14T for the better part of 5 years, two of those years in the various sandboxes. It's not a "tier one" blade, but it's certainly functional and has never failed at any task I've asked of it. I got it at a pretty good discount, so if it is ever lost, the damage will be mostly sentimental instead of financial...

I say that if you like it, carry it and be happy that you have a decent knife.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Im with Sixto...I love my Benchmades. Go everywhere with me. But Spyderco has some great deals out there. I personally am looking at the Tenacious.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    I have the M21. I paid $40 new I believe a sale or clearance. BEWARE OF KNOCKOFFS!!!!!

http://www.crkt.com/knifecounterfeits

I abuse my knives...a lot. This one has seen countless cardboard carving sessions, screw driving, prying, use it as a hammer, tree and bush pruning, sharpening and fishing trips. If I use it and can't fold it I flip it to the ground blade sees dirt quite often. The finish looks like hell but the blade holds an edge and the knife hasn't broken. I managed to get a small chip on the blade edge once but since then sharpening has taken it back to a normal edge.

For the price I don't think I could get a better blade.

link
    http://www.crkt.com/cgi-bin/crkt.pl?...arch_id=274581
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

go to thebladeshop.com $34.00.

Links