Knife Sharpeners?

Knife Sharpeners?

This is a discussion on Knife Sharpeners? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Am considering a knife sharpener, both for my EDC SD blade as well as (ideally) for kitchen knives / cutlery. Opinions? Stone? Electric? Any specific ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knife Sharpeners?

Knife Sharpeners?

Am considering a knife sharpener, both for my EDC SD blade as well as (ideally) for kitchen knives / cutlery.

Opinions? Stone? Electric? Any specific brands?

Peace.

- Savage

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    I was wondering what a "Kinfe" was....

I don't have any good information for you, but there is a great knife sharpening guide in the How To forum.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ing-guide.html
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

Check out Edge Pro Apex Model Sharpening System. They are expensive, but they get great reviews. This is definitely the next sharpening system I will buy.
    With guns, we are 'citizens'.
    Without them, we are 'subjects'.

Quote Originally Posted by jlmdlm View Post
    Check out Edge Pro Apex Model Sharpening System. They are expensive, but they get great reviews. This is definitely the next sharpening system I will buy.

Nice looking kits, but they seem way over-priced for what's included.

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Knife sharpener

I get good results from my deluxe Lansky kit with a diamond extra fine home.

I've been using two-sided medium and hard Arkansas stone for as long as I can remember and have never seen a need to buy anything else. An old barber's razor strop puts the finishing touch on the edge.

My wife bought me a Lansky kit for Christmas; I used it one and went back to my stone.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

I hate to say this but the small sharpener at wal mart that has two carbide sticks crossed and two ceramics sticks crossed gets you 97% of the way there, and that's good enough for me.

if you have steady hands get a stone (i prefer Arkansas over diamond myself) just make sure you get different grits. but if you dont have steady hands then go for a Lansky type kit. always remember a professional job will be a lot nicer and it will just glide through anything, but...that will cost you some serious money if your talk-en about your whole collection.

Anyway i say a medium and fine Arkansas stone But most important of all STROP YOUR KNIFES doesn't need to be with a razor strop can be done with any bit of REAL leather (unless you intend to shave with your knife then get a razor one). you dont need to be exact with the leather so even if you dont have steady hands you can do it. I guarantee you if you do it right there will be one hell of a difference.

Spyderco Sharpmaker

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    If you need something for a trip or in the field, I suggest the Lansky crocs (I think that's what they're called). They're triangle shaped ceramic rods, about 3" long with colored plastic caps at each end. I prefer the ones with different radius corners for serrations. I also have a Smith portable sharpener, but Lansky, Gerber, & others make one. It's those little, about 3" long, usually plastic bodies with a pair of carbide rods & a pair of ceramic rods in it.

For at home, the Spyderco Sharpmaker's not bad & relatively inexpensive, but I find that they're too fine to set an edge & not big enough for kitchen knives (Or larger FBs). A good set of Arkansas stones work great. Honestly, a coarse stone & a med-fine stone & a decent leather strope & you have all you need & for just about any size blade.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

Quote Originally Posted by cockedlocked01 View Post
    If you need something for a trip or in the field, I suggest the Lansky crocs (I think that's what they're called). They're triangle shaped ceramic rods, about 3" long with colored plastic caps at each end. I prefer the ones with different radius corners for serrations. I also have a Smith portable sharpener, but Lansky, Gerber, & others make one. It's those little, about 3" long, usually plastic bodies with a pair of carbide rods & a pair of ceramic rods in it.

For at home, the Spyderco Sharpmaker's not bad & relatively inexpensive, but I find that they're too fine to set an edge & not big enough for kitchen knives (Or larger FBs). A good set of Arkansas stones work great. Honestly, a coarse stone & a med-fine stone & a decent leather strope & you have all you need & for just about any size blade.
    an arkansas stone is great, but when it comes to tougher steels it just wont cut it. literally. try sharpening s30v on an arkansas. wont happen.

Quote Originally Posted by morintp View Post
    I was wondering what a "Kinfe" was....
    It's like a knife, but duller

to be honest, I've tried the all of them

Lansky............nice but the stones are kinda thin (width)

Gatco.............same as lansky, but wider stones, but it does put a nice edge on a blade

Arkansas stones........I ain't steady enough.

My sharpener of choice..............

Diamond Hone Electric Sharpeners

This electric sharpener does an outstanding job of putting a surgical sharp edge on a blade without heating the blade and it does it in a timely fashion.

I use to spend HOURS sharpening all the knives in my house. Now I can do a great job in less than 15 minutes
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac00 View Post

My sharpener of choice..............

Diamond Hone Electric Sharpeners

This electric sharpener does an outstanding job of putting a surgical sharp edge on a blade without heating the blade and it does it in a timely fashion.

I use to spend HOURS sharpening all the knives in my house. Now I can do a great job in less than 15 minutes

I've been looking at one of those Chef's Choice sharpeners for along time. Does your sharpener remove a lot of metal from the blade?

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy-SS View Post
    I've been looking at one of those Chef's Choice sharpeners for along time. Does your sharpener remove a lot of metal from the blade?

-
    initially it can if you drag the knife through at a slow pace. If you start with a dull/raw blade (never had an edge), the #1 position this will establish the edge angle. If the knife had an edge, start in The #2 position, which refines the first grind and give the edge a slight burr. The #2 position makes the edge fairly sharp. the #3 position puts a micro-fine, razor edge on the blade.

Once the knife has an established edge, I just use the #3 position to maintain the edge. ALL our kitchen knives are surgical sharp, and they would stay that way if my wife would stop cutting rope, tape, cardboard, cloth, hack bones, instead of cutting up FOOD!!!.........you give a very sharp knife to a women and they will just abuse them no end

The only knife I still sharpen by hand (using a Gatco) is my Bushmaster Survival knife. I spend a good deal of time keeping that blade razor sharp.
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links