Question about Folder Vs. Fixed

This is a discussion on Question about Folder Vs. Fixed within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I understand that in some places it isn't legal or safe to carry a fixed-blade knife, so a folder is what you carry. Fine. But ...

Thread: Question about Folder Vs. Fixed

I understand that in some places it isn't legal or safe to carry a fixed-blade knife, so a folder is what you carry. Fine.

But I've noticed that even in places where it's perfectly legal and uncontroversial to carry a fixed-blade knife, a lot of people still carry folders. That's even among people near me, 'way back in the boonies.

Now, a knife, like a towel, is just about the most massively useful thing a cedar rat can have. Day to day it's more useful than a pistol and a lot less trouble - though I also carry the pistol. Since going to a fixed blade I've never considered going back. The mechanism doesn't get dirty and sticky, because there is none, and it's right there on your belt, handy.

Yet, as I said, most neighbors still carry folders. Is there some advantage there that I'm just not seeing? Or is it just habit?

While in the service, I carried a fixed blade during military exercises and in combat. Now, as a civilian, it is more practical to carry a folder. I would probably strap on my old fixed blade again if I go hiking or camping.

I must confess that I prefer to carry a fixed blade, but also recognize that there are practical purposes for both.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Only reason why I carry a folder is because my Buck 119 fixed blade knife is illegal to carry because of its blade length. In VA, maximum blade length is 4.5". Anything more is illegal. And it is also classified as a Bowie knife, which is illegal for urban carry. However, I can carry it in my own yard and in the home.

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    I carry a fixed-blade knife just about everywhere. I practice drawing my folder fairly regularly and still am not even close to as fast or reliable with it as I am with my Street Beat.

Ease of carry and convenience. Bravado enters into the what do you carry question. Just like many internet gunslingers will tell you how they "would" carry a 1911 but actually slip a snubbie or small auto into their pocket for EDC, many who go on and on about fixed in a fight also EDC a folder.

Depending on what you do for a living and where you live you may be pretty much limited to a folder during the work hours. On your own time you may carry a fixed blade. IMHO you are better off carrying the same thing as much as possible in the same location.

For Inverted Edge Tactics courses we always start off with a folder because just about everyone can and is willing to carry one.

I just don't believe in the mindset that your survival depends on your tools. I usually carry at least one knife and a pistol. Sometimes just the knife, sometimes depending on the environment I can only carry a pen. Just means I need to be more aware and decisive when dealing with threats.- George

Convience. Plain and simple. It is easy to clip a knife on your pocket. No need to have a belt sheath. We all know that a fixed blade is the best knife for most chores, it is just not as convienent as a folder with a clip. IMHO

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    I only carry a fixed blade while hunting, otherwise I have a folded knife. Mainly due to the fact a folded knife is all I can legally carry.

You know... a gun is no problem, just no fixed blades

As many have already said I carry a folder for convience mainly but also for apperance reasons. I use my knife a lot at work and I think whipping out a fixed blade on a college campus would be frowned upon though no one even gives a second look to a folder when I whip that out.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

As stated the folder which I always carry for convenience is just that, convenient. But a good fixed blade cannot be matched for its strength and durability. A folder while handy can't take the abuses likely encountered in the boon docks like survival, where I find myself sometimes. In those times I always have a strong fixed blade on my belt. Just my opinion.. Good question you ask..
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

Fixed for the camp and around the house, Folder for everywhere else.

I don't like to "freak out" the locals when I go around town, and a huge knife has proven to draw more stares than a crossdraw carried 1911 (I experiment with human psychology quite a bit...).

But out in the Boonies, a big knife is considered sensible by some ("Big chores, Big Knife"), excessive by others ("Minimalist Survivalism"), and just plain useful by me.

If I can, I prefer to have the Fixed, but situations and locations dictate what I carry.

That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Don’t mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    There are plenty of smaller fixed blades that you can easily conceal along your waistline, in the watch pocket of jeans in a kydex sheath, or in one of the main pockets. I really like the Benchmade Activator 211 for it's great steel, nice ergonomics, razor sharpness out of the box, and handy size for most EDC tasks. I carried a Spyderco Swick horizontal cross-draw on my belt in a kydex rig for quite a while, and it was very rarely commented upon.

Links