Considering a new knife, need suggestions

This is a discussion on Considering a new knife, need suggestions within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Rollo just curious did you decide yet?...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Considering a new knife, need suggestions

Rollo just curious did you decide yet?

2. Remove Ads

Any of the COLD STEEL knives are great for carring etc.

How about a CRKT My-Tighe...CRKT 1091 My Tighe Spring Assist Knife (Satin SER) - Blade HQ

I have a mini my tighe....
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by jbum View Post
    Rollo just curious did you decide yet?
    Probably either going to go with a Cold Steel Recon 1 Tanto 4" Plain Blade, G10 Handles - Knifecenter.com or a Cold Steel Large Voyager VG-1 4" Tanto Blade Plain Edge Metal Clip - Knifecenter.com. Haven't quite decided yet. I would really like the recon but I don't really want to wait for it to become available.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Kershaw Tanto Blur, can be had at wally World for $57.00. SpeedSafe assisted opening, Kershaw warranty, Ken Onion design.

If Assisted Openers are legal in your state, I recommend either the Kershaw "Blur" or the Sog "Aegis."
    "God hears all prayers, even when the answer is No."

VIP Member
    After swearing I would never switch from my Ken Onion Kershaw, I did.

I was at the Benchmade booth at the NRA convention and the guy showed me a 580SBK, and I had to have one.

Absolutely the slickest assisted opening knife I have ever tried.

It's a little over your budget but, you deserve the best.

Mine cost me about $150CDN delivered.

Here are some of links for you.......................

Benchmade 580SBK Barrage Spring Assist Axis Lock (Black / SER) - Blade HQ

Benchmade 580SBK Barrage Spring Assist Axis Lock (Black / SER) - Blade HQ

Benchmade 580SBK Barrage

Benchmade® 585 Mini-Barrage® Osborne Design Folding Knives – #585/585S & 585SBK - Sportco Warehouse Sporting Goods
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Can't go wrong with Benchmade. I usually carry a 710 Axis Lock or Microtech Manual Socom Elite, even though they're not assisted openers, and as I stated before, I also like the Kershaw Blur or the Sog Aegis too. They're all great knives.
    Last edited by SCALPHUNTER; June 11th, 2010 at 09:12 PM.
    "God hears all prayers, even when the answer is No."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MilitaryPower View Post
    Another problem for me is most use liner locks. For a combat knife? No thanks.
    I am not a knife guy. I carry either a 2 3/4" lockback Buck for work or a 3 3/4" Kershaw assisted opener liner lock for casual. I caught your comment above and would ne interested in learning more about why you feel the liner locks are a bad idea. I am not challenging you but would like to learn more about knives and I suspect you have a food reason for your comment. I am nor that enamored with the Kershaw as it opens too easily - sometimes on it's own.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

I love all my knives, Gave a s&w homeland security to my goof ladyfriend in florida for her to keep that was a good knife after I locktighted the thumbstud. Current edc blade is an ontario R.A.T. model 1 black on black. And augmented with a leatherman wave that has a couple of blades on it though it is not exactly fast deploy. But love the ontario knife lightning fast deploy,good blade steel (aus8) semi aggressive jimping(sp?) and finger trap in-case of a thrust cut. razor sharp even after a few months of use and accidental thumb slices (yeah I'm a klutz sometimes) but overall great blade. Not so scary that you will weird out people if you have to use it in a store or out in public.

my 2 shiny pennies or dull ones maybe

Coz
    Spyderco Endura Wave. The problem with assisted openers is you have to hit that little tiny stub to open it up and rarely get to practice actually manually opening it. In other words, you don't get everything right, you are screwed. My Endura is faster than any assisted opener. And I can and do practice both opening from the pocket and in the hand.

Another problem for me is most use liner locks. For a combat knife? No thanks.
    Why would you want a slide or button on a combat knife? A liner lock is much less likely to get moved during a fight IMHO.

Yes a fixed blade is optimum and one of my carry knives is a fixed blade push knife that is legal to carry in Texas, a Cold Steel Safe Maker III.

I would much rather carry a liner lock knife than any knife with a slide lock.

I guess I don't understand your hate of liner locks
    "He who hesitates is lost"

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    I am not a knife guy. I carry either a 2 3/4" lockback Buck for work or a 3 3/4" Kershaw assisted opener liner lock for casual. I caught your comment above and would ne interested in learning more about why you feel the liner locks are a bad idea. I am not challenging you but would like to learn more about knives and I suspect you have a food reason for your comment. I am nor that enamored with the Kershaw as it opens too easily - sometimes on it's own.
    It is too easy for a liner lock to unlock and allow the blade to close, when your fingers are gripping the knife tightly and they move (such as when the knife is cutting). So basically while cutting, slashing, or stabbing, your fingers can depress the lock and have the blade come down on them.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

I really like the Triad lock on the ColdSteel Spartan (and apparently on some other models but I don't own those.)

The only complaint I ever had about that lock is that it is a bit difficult (at first) to UNLOCK when you mean to do so.

--
    HerbM

Coz
    It is too easy for a liner lock to unlock and allow the blade to close, when your fingers are gripping the knife tightly and they move (such as when the knife is cutting). So basically while cutting, slashing, or stabbing, your fingers can depress the lock and have the blade come down on them.

My defensive knives with liner locks take two hands to close, and a hard edge such as a tip of a finger or nail to provide pressure sufficient to unlock the mechanism. I wonder if you have only been exposed to inexpensive liner locks. CRKT knives have a secondary lock on the blade, the newer of which automatically engage the secondary lock so they become virtually a fixed blade.
    "He who hesitates is lost"

Here's mine ZT-0301

"Someday someone may kill you with your own gun but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty."

"Leave the gun, take the cannoli."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links