West Virginia CCW Knives and other Weapons

This is a discussion on West Virginia CCW Knives and other Weapons within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi all, I tried to search everywhere for answers but never could find anything definite. I'm hoping some of you can help a bit. Soon ...

Thread: West Virginia CCW Knives and other Weapons

West Virginia CCW Knives and other Weapons

Hi all, I tried to search everywhere for answers but never could find anything definite. I'm hoping some of you can help a bit.

Soon I will be getting my West Virginia CCW permit and I understand that blackjacks and switchblades will be covered under this permit.

I have a job that sometimes requires me to walk around behind doctors offices at night and carrying a firearm on the job is a firing offense. No exceptions. Certain people tend to think I'm delivering pharmaceuticals when in reality I'm just picking up less desirable items.

My dearest uncle made a very nice leather blackjack with his best interests at heart, but I prefer to do things by the law. So is my blackjack legal carry with a WV CCW?

Also I understand switchblades are legal in WV, but to carry them at all you need to have a CCW. Is this true? (just curious I do not own a switchblade)

Mainly out of curiosity what is the longest legal blade length of a folding knife in WV? My regular carry is my Spyderco Tenacious (3 3/8") I also own a Cold Steel Spartan (4") which I would like to carry from time to time, and a Cold Steel Rajah I (6") which is just fun to show people, but a little too big to keep in your pocket 24/7. You could probably beat someone to death with the Rajah while it was still closed. lol

Thanks for the help!

Oh, BTW Cold Steel has ceased production of the Rajah I and they are selling them for $99 until they run out.

2. Remove Ads

The old permit in W.V. was for " concealed weapon and/or weapons", and indeed it covered everything from a shotgun to a machete concealed.

The current permit is, "Concealed pistol/revolver license". It only covers PISTOL AND/OR REVOLVER.

Regarding your question on automatic knives, only knives with a blade lenght of 3 1/2" are permited concealed. Including automatics.

Sound slike maybe you need to look in to OC and an ASP baton. Just remember, any strike above the shoulders is deadly force.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

OK. Thanks guys. Looks like I'll just have to stick with my 3.5" pocket knife. Anything OC wouldn't be appropriate in my work, so pocket knife would be my only option if I wanted to stay within the bounds of the law and my job.

How about pepper/OC spray?
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Ha! Good point varob! I just bought some for my wife and for some reason it never crossed my mind that would work out for me too.

Automatic knives are specifically illegal in WV. Gravity knives are illegal as well.

The reason I was asking about the auto knives is because when I was reading up about knife laws I came across this link:

Switchblade - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

West Virginia is listed as one of the legal states, but I also read the state code which is a little confusing to me. I'm just wondering why someone would come to the conclusion that it is legal if it was not.

Now before anyone gets all preachy as some people tend to do in forums let me add the following two facts about myself:

1. I do not own an automatic knife nor do I intend to purchase one. I am mainly curious about the laws regarding them since it came up. I am a grown man with a family and do not wish to have a criminal record just so I can impress people by acting like I came out of some gang movie from the 50's.

2. I am fully aware that "Wikipedia" is often incorrect as is a very large percentage of things found on the World Wide Web.

It's legal to buy, sell or own a switchblade in WV. There was for the longest time in the Meadowbrook Mall in Clarksburg a store that sold them. I bought two or three over the course of a few years. You aren't allowed to carry them. Assisted openers are legal, balisongs are like switchblades when it comes to legality. WV State code is available online, just search that document for "weapons" or "knife" and you'll run across the particulars.
    Last edited by WvHiker; June 12th, 2010 at 03:16 PM. Reason: typo

Links