Kershaw Scallion - Remove the torsion bar?

This is a discussion on Kershaw Scallion - Remove the torsion bar? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First off, I live in Michigan. I recently purchased a new pocket knife. I went with the Kershaw Ken Onion Scallion with "Speed Safe". They ...

Thread: Kershaw Scallion - Remove the torsion bar?

First off, I live in Michigan. I recently purchased a new pocket knife. I went with the Kershaw Ken Onion Scallion with "Speed Safe". They had tons of them and said "No way could it be considered a switch blade." I liked the feature but purchased it for for the size and feel. The more I read about the assisted opening feature the more I worry. So I looked online at a few internal pictures of the knife, and I see I can remove the torsion bar which would remove the assisted opening.

Should I remove the torsion bar?
    Will it affect the knife any other way?
    Should I just not worry about it in Michigan because technically its a legal knife?

I am just worried the one day I get stopped is the one day I have a cop that wants to push the limits. Really could care less who is right or wrong on that topic, just would like not to be hassled.

I have the same nice, one of my main EDC's, I just tighten the screw down so it stays in the "unlocked" position.
    "Don't start none, won't be none!"

Quote Originally Posted by shooterX View Post
    I have the same nice, one of my main EDC's, I just tighten the screw down so it stays in the "unlocked" position.
    Tighten which screw? The one safety screw that prevents it from opening all together?

VIP Member
    You can remove the torsion spring, but it is easier to tighten the pivot screw until the torsion bar no longer functions.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    Should I just not worry about it in Michigan because technically its a legal knife?
    This one.
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

I will think about lightning the screw over removing the bar, or just forget about it. I also emailed the professionals at Kershaw to see what they have to say, I will let you know when I here from them.

I did tighten the locking screw...tightened in the unlocked position. You wouldn't want the knife to accidently be locked when you need it.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by claimed4all View Post
    Tighten which screw? The one safety screw that prevents it from opening all together?
    Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    You can remove the torsion spring, but it is easier to tighten the pivot screw until the torsion bar no longer functions.
    Exactly what I meant, and did on mine.
    "Don't start none, won't be none!"

I heard back from Kershaw and all they said was "Removing the torsion bar will not void your warranty." I think I like the tightening of the screw much better though. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by claimed4all View Post
    Another vote for the above choice. I carry assisted opening knives regularly and don't give it a second thought. There was a (Nazi) female DA up in the Panhandle who tried to get switchblade convictions on some defendants a few years back, based upon their carrying assisted opening knives. She got spanked by the courts, so she's backed off. A prominent wholesaler quit selling them in TX for awhile because of her misguided efforts. In TX, under Federal law, and I suspect (but don't know) also in MI, since you have to touch a part of the blade to open it, it is not a switchblade.

My whole thought is I don't want to be hassled about it because the cop doesn't know the law. For now I will leave it alone. I know a few cops from a few areas around MI. Next time I see each of them I will whip it out and ask about it. If they misconstrued it as a switch blade, I may just disable that feature.

Assisted opening knives are not switchblades. There was recently an amendment to the Federal Switchblade Act to exempt assisted openers and one-hand openers.

Knife Rights - Knife Rights News Slice - WE DID IT!

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    Assisted opening knives are not switchblades. There was recently an amendment to the Federal Switchblade Act to exempt assisted openers and one-hand openers.

Knife Rights - Knife Rights News Slice - WE DID IT!
    I Like it. I think my Speedsafe is here to stay!

[QUOTE=tokerblue;1646181]Assisted opening knives are not switchblades. There was recently an amendment to the Federal Switchblade Act to exempt assisted openers and one-hand openers.

This is absolutely true, the federal government declared "Assisted Openers" are not switchblades in 2009, thus the federal government doesn't have a problem with them. The problem you run into, is the same problem we have here where I live. It's the "State" laws that are the problem. Switchblades are obviously illegal here, but where I live, the law regarding "Assisted Openers"has been left in a "gray" area with no specifics, and are left to interpretation by the local Officers, as our law says any knife where any centrifugal force or mechanical device causes the knife to open. Their arguement is if it has a "spring" or "torsion bar," it is mechanical, thus illegal. To me, this is not the case, as just like the finding of the federal government, the knife blade is started manually, so it is by definition, not a switchblade, so it should be legal. According to our Prosecutors Office, technically we can be arrested and charged if an Officer finds you carrying an Assisted Opener, or any other knife with a blade over 4 inches long, even with a CCW permit, unless you are fishing, camping, or hunting and carrying a straight blade for these purposes.
    "God hears all prayers, even when the answer is No."

Sponsored Links