Defensive Carry banner

Sharpening tips sought for Delica on new stone

5K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Stubborn 
#1 ·
I recently bought a new sharpening stone. I have used it gently on a few knives and it has really helped.

Here's the stone:

This stone has two sides - 600 grit and 1200 grit

Now how do I get this -

As sharp as this?

I am following the directions, as shown here. This is pretty standard stuff, but I am wondering if anyone has any tips to get a razor edge on the Delica? Is a 1200 grit fine enough?

thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
After you are done with the stone, you need a leather strop to get the razor edge. That does the final polish on the blade's edge.

#3 ·
Its a compromise depending on what you want. The smaller the angle of the blade when sharpening the sharper the edge. But, the finer the edge, the faster it will dull and require touchups. The thicker the blade, the more work to get a finer edge. If you touchup your blade weekly or more frequently you can go with a finer edge, if not go with a broader edge.

#5 · (Edited)
You'll have to re-profile the edge. The edge angle* on Spydercos is typically around 40 degrees. Razors are typically less than 15 degrees.

Unless you want to shave with your Delica, a razor edge probably isn't suitable. A razor edge is too fragile, and easily dulled, for knife edge tasks.

*I originally posted "edge bevel". That was incorrect. The bevel is half of the angle. If you bevel each side of your edge at 20 degrees, you'll achieve an edge angle of 40 degrees.

#7 ·
Well, thanks for all tips. I have been tenderly sharpening and I have the edge pretty sharp. It will shave hair off my arm, so that's a good start. But I am not at the right angle. I think I will build a jig, to hold the knife and stone at correct angles. I just don't see how it's possible to get it perfect by hand. I mean, you can certainly obtain an acceptable sharpness by hand (which I've done). But each stroke is probably at a slightly different angle if performing by hand.

Here's what I am seeing so far:
(EDIT - is there any way to utilize a 'thumbnail' image here?)

-

#8 ·
Don't worry, after forty or fifty years you will get a feel for it. :wink:

There is another way you might try. Tilt the stone to the angle you want, say 20*. A two inch wide roll of tape (underneath one end)is about right for a 6=8" stone. Then you do not have to hold the blade at a particular angel, just level. That is easier for some people than trying to hold an angle.

#12 ·
Hi chevy! I would like to add that regular sharpening steels do function as well. I get razor sharp edges just by maintaining the required angles. Try it here.
Yep...thats what I use all the time. I can't seem to get knives sharp enough on a stone. I use a "butchers steel" and can shave with them in a matter of minutes. The edge just doesn't hold as long, it needs to be "touched-up" more often. Usually like one touch-up while skinning a deer, but 2 or 3 when working on a hog.

#10 ·
As mentioned by the gentleman in the video, blade injuries or imperfections can be difficult to see with the naked eye. I use a 30x jewelers loupe for inspecting blades. They can be had for under $10 on the net.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.