Which pepper spray to carry?

This is a discussion on Which pepper spray to carry? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; There are plenty of good OC sprays and I'm not going to make a recommendation. I would caution against thinking that "hotter is better." I ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which pepper spray to carry?

There are plenty of good OC sprays and I'm not going to make a recommendation. I would caution against thinking that "hotter is better." I haven't seen any evidence that hotter equates to more effective for defensive purposes. Some sprays may make decontamination take longer (which can actually be a negative), but there is a certain threshold in which pain receptors are firing as much as they are going to fire and making things hotter isn't going to make the pain greater. Stick your hand in a medium fire and a bigger fire. Which makes your hand hurt more?
    A traffic ticket is formal recognition of a lapse in situational awareness.

2. Remove Ads

I like Spitfire for EDC. Small, looks like it belongs on a keychain and doesn't draw attention. It can be quickly deployed or detached from the keychain which is a huge advantage when something approaches your car window while you're seated with the keys in the ignition.

Also, I like the way it is deployed. With traditional canisters you must hold the canister in such a way that when your wrist is grabbed and pushed down, the spray will only deploy downward. With the spitfire you can "can't" your wrist and still deploy the spray even if in a wrist lock.

However, as previously stated, it's spray is not adequate in windy conditions.

For duty use I prefer Punch Labs. I don't have a link for it but I like the Punch II.

oc 17

OC 17 its harder to find but very very good .
    Guns dont kill people. people kill people
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by Tysonc View Post
    I like Spitfire for EDC.
    This is nice because it looks like a remote.

I carry this along with my 2oz Fox Spray.

When I am walking to my car, I carry in my hand. It just looks like I am carrying my keys.

Cold Steel Inferno is the best. I conducted a lot of research and the selling point for me is that it is a foam that sticks to the face and then immediately melts. The big issue for me was blow back in my face. The liquids and mists all blow back if there is any sort of breeze. Can the foam blow back? Yes it can, but it takes a prety strong breeze. Go on You Tube and watch the Inferno videos. Seeing it in action is what sold me.

I carry the pen, the key ring and 1.3. I also have the 2.5 for the home.

Here are some videos to watch>>>

Here is the 30 minute review of Cold Steel Inferno >>>>

Cold Steel Inferno is the best out there.

Ray
    Texas
    Last edited by Prophezine; June 29th, 2010 at 07:16 PM. Reason: added another link
    Check out my websites....

http://www.prophezine.com

http://survival4christians.blogspot.com/

Μολὼν λαβέ

Seems like a good website

Sabre Red Pepper Spray

Has lots of good choices, and the prices seem good.
    Andy
    You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas - David Crockett
    When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Carried this on duty before, and had good results on several occasions

http://www.gtdist.com/ProductDetail....Number=DT-5069

It is a liquid but it is hot....
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Pepper Spray

I always had the best luck with Aerko Freeze Plus P. It worked well on two and four legged creatures. The Cold Steel Inferno haven't used personally but it looks promising.

I have only use FOX and have always been happy with it.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Still looking for documented stories of OC and Tasers by citizens.....- George

it's not about the brand so much as both the "propellant" used and the scoville heating units. The newer stuff we use in L.E. actually sucks to the stuff we had in the early to mid ninties because of the invention of the taser. Any old stuff or older companies that you can find that use alcohol based propellant rather than water based is going to be the most effective. Check out Guardian brand. I'll try and find the link and post it in here of the hottest stuff I think you can get. Also important other than the heat alone is the combination OC like the one's with CS or CN gas those are even more effective because they take away the ability to breath more effectively. Sometimes even the %10 OC doesn't start kicking in for our use until we already have them in cuffs.
    If you can read this thank a teacher. If it is written in English thank a Marine.

/www.copsplus.com/prodnum4437.php
    Sorry, this was it, the Guardian Brand "HI POWer" is nasty but i see it's been discontinued. I should have got some when i could have. At %15 or 3 million scoville heating units that one would be awesome. They do have a couple more though and I agree Sabre and Fox are probably the best since you can't get that one anymore.
    If you can read this thank a teacher. If it is written in English thank a Marine.

www.copsplus.com/prodnum4437.php hope it loads this time.

ASP makes a spray dispenser that looks like a kuboton and you carry your keys on it. I have been using there "Street Defender" model for over four years and it has never leaked and always test well.
    That's what I carry. Spring for the quick-detach clip for the key-chain and you'll always have it with you, ready to go, but easy to remove if you need to get through a security checkpoint or secure area.

The OC falls in the mid-range of potency, at 2-million SHUs, but the canister is itself a weapon giving you two-in-one. It's a solid, strong tool.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Thanks for the suggestions.

I've carried several types recently:

MACE brand Muzzle dog spray. Excellent design safety and not too big, but it's not a keychain unit and I have no idea how effective it is. Interestingly one of my dogs (RIP) chewed up a can once and suffered no ill effects apart from a little extra licking. We always joked that he asked for extra chili powder on his food after that.

Kimber Pepperblaster Mark 1. A little bulky and the two shot limit worries me. It does clip nicely into a laptop bag or IWB if needed. The new Pepperblaster Mark II model is a complete miss in my opinion as it is even bulkier, looks like a water pistol and they removed the clip! Talk about a step backwards in product design.

I just got two of the Fox keychain units. I'm sorry, but these things are WAY TOO LARGE for a keychain unless you carry a purse or you only wear BDU's. In jeans, it's like carrying half a kielbasa in your pocket. As far as I can see, the Fox, Sabre and DPS keychain units use the same oversized plastic exterior.

Also, the Fox 'safety' on both of the keychain units I just received is easily disengaged and is the worst I've seen. I keep thinking I'm going to get a blast of 5.3 to the groin. I was expecting Fox to be LEO quality product based on the price, and I was underwhelmed. Their larger units are fine but the keychain doesn't work for me.

My wife carries the ASP style keychain spray (although marketed by a different company that targets women's self defence). It feels slow and clumsy to deploy to me.

I sat through the entire Cold Steel Inferno video and may try them or some of the others mentioned.

I'd really like to see a slim titanium 'tactical' PepperBlaster with a 3 or 4 shot reloadable cartridge. And a laser/light. I'd pay good money for that.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links