Razel SS7 Review (Big Pictures)

This is a discussion on Razel SS7 Review (Big Pictures) within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After recently reading about these knives here on DC and other forums, I was intrigued enough to do something absolutely amazing... I spent money. Yep, ...

Thread: Razel SS7 Review (Big Pictures)

Thumbs up Razel SS7 Review (Big Pictures)

After recently reading about these knives here on DC and other forums, I was intrigued enough to do something absolutely amazing...

I spent money.

Yep, I bought 'em. And now, after putting them through some "paces", I have prepared a review of my own on these knives.

The items shown here are from CRKT Knives - Columbia River Knife and Tool. They are production versions of the Graham Brothers' original Razels found here: http://www.grahamknives.com

This is the Razel SS7. This large knife is decidedly not for EDC, but for camping, gardening, crafting, and survival:

The serrations you see there are "Veff Serrations", presumably after the individual that developed them. They are ridiculously effective on branches, rope, and anything you need through in a hurry. Unlike most serration configurations, these give a remarkably smooth cut without the usual jaggedness left behind.

The blade has the same grinds on it as the Ringed Razel, but the extra serrated side has a hollow grind to it, seen on the other side here:

The butt of the knife has a bottle opener and is capped with a small tungsten carbide glass breaker:

This has been pointed out as everything from a menace to one's ribs when holstered, to a useful addition that can be used for a whole list of things (scribing, cracking, drill starting, etc...). It works for me, but I guess I could do without it.

The sheath is a large friction-hold Kydex job, and it suits the blade remarkably well.

For a knife this sharp in so many places, it really is the best option in my opinion. In a pinch, the whole holster can be dropped down into a deep pocket for a quick carry option, or lashed to anything for a more permanent placement. Every Kydex sheath has its own "idiom" and this one is no different. It takes a while to get used to how the blade fits inside, but once you get the hang of it, it becomes second nature.

This knife is amazing! I have lopped off branches with no effort, carved points and trip-notches in sticks with ease, and chiseled shavings from logs with great control and definition.

I even made dinner.

A stuffed Pork loin will all the fixin's was prepared by moi with this same implement. I was a gourmet cook for years before the USMC and I need to work on adapting it to batonette and julienne cuts, but it can be done!

As a drawback, this is not very good as a machete, which is ironically what immediately comes to mind when you first see the knife. Simply put, it's too heavy. A machete's strength is its low weight and high speed, which is absent here. This is great at chopping and cutting, but the swinging chop has to be against something rather solid to be effective. The balance is forward by some bit, which adds to the bite.

In slicing, this beast has no equal. It is essentially a giant straight razor, after all. The chisel is brutal in push-cuts. A stack of newspapers was pierced by the chisel end when I placed it flat against the surface and simply pressed. I got a good half-inch with minimal effort. Again, I can't stress enough how much I like the serrations. I don't usually like serrations, but I love these. Thank you Mr./Mrs. Veff...

The steel used is 9Cr18MoV. This is a High Carbon/High Chromium alloy that is very tough and hard to blemish. For the uses this knife will see, I have faith that it will last a long time.

A word of warning:

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD YOU DROP THIS KNIFE OR ATTEMPT TO CATCH IT IF YOU DO!!!!!

It really is that sharp EVERYWHERE. Please be careful and attentive to what you are doing.

So that's it! Sorry about the BIG pictures, but I like showing the detail so...

That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Donít mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

2. Remove Ads

i want one of these who much did it run?
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

Ex Member
    It looks like a vice grip of knives. It CAN do a lot of things but there are better tools for all of them.

carrying one tool>5 of them???
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

Sorry!

I meant to post the price and Amazon link...

Amazon.com: Columbia River Knife and Tool's 2013 Razel SS7 Chisel with Bellied Razor and Veff Serrated Blade: Home Improvement

$105, or there abouts...

The price fluctuates, but that's about the average.

That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Donít mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

Administrator
    The one problem that I see with it is that the long fully serrated area along the top would make it difficult/problematic to baton it through wood.

There is really no place to whack it that would not quickly chew up the batoning wood so (for me) that would negate it for survival apps since I baton quite a bit.
    Though it would be interesting with a smaller serrated area....like about half that length.

Links