Conceal Carry lightsaber (High powered portable laser... whoah)

This is a discussion on Conceal Carry lightsaber (High powered portable laser... whoah) within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Funkdenomtro And no, its not a real light saber. Light sabers are accelerated photon repeaters. By bouncing the laser back and forth ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Conceal Carry lightsaber (High powered portable laser... whoah)

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkdenomtro View Post
    And no, its not a real light saber. Light sabers are accelerated photon repeaters. By bouncing the laser back and forth between its point reflector and the hilt the wavelengths are compressed giving it that classic jedi cut through anything power. The trick in engineering is to find a way to float the reflector point at 3 or 4ft from the hilt. Super cooled gas is the most obvious solution, and lasers can direct liquid nitrogen, but not in that accuracy currently. That still doesn't solve the reflector problem, and in failure the amount of radiation generated by an unstable photon dwarfs all nuclear, atomic, and meteoroid destructive power that this planet has seen in its 4 billion years. (Yes the planet is 4 billion years old get over it) It should however be able to operate with a relatively anemic power source, you know, like....Asia. But depending on the reflector, you might be able to get it started with a 9volt. And if that were the case and it took 900 years to become a true light saber, isn't that so much more jedi?
    Ancient weapons and hokey religions are no match for a good blaster at your side.

(Man, I can't believe nobody's posted that yet! )
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

2. Remove Ads

sign me up. but does it come in a sub-compact frame?
    got to texas as fast as i could...Fuhgeddaboudit!

Happy Fathers Day, Lord Vader!

Quote Originally Posted by mchasal View Post
    Well, one thing high power laser pointers are used for is astronomy. The green ones are often used during star parties and demonstrations to point out features in the night sky. Projecting a long line is much more useful than just pointing with a finger. I'm not sure this one would be better than the greenies because of the different wavelength, but that's a possible application.
    Even those aren't anywhere near 1W! Actually, they're usually the same 5mW as a normal red laser pointer, but you see the beam because the human eye is much more sensitive to green. There are some that are in the neighborhood of 15mW, but we're talking 1000mW here. That's 200x more powerful than a normal laser pointer.

I'm not sure the posts I've seen here really show a good understanding as to just how dangerous a 1W laser can be.

Pointing this 1W laser at a MATTE surface (say, a wall or carpet) and just seeing the point will PERMANENTLY BLIND YOU in less than a second. If it should actually hit something that is even remotely glossy, it will permanently blind you well before you even have time to blink!

Not that closing your eyes would do much good against a direct to the eye shot. (Or off a mirror, glass, or other glossy surface) The amount of light passing through your eyelid would still do significant, permanent damage to your retina.

And a final thing to think about... You don't necessarily have to be looking directly at the laser for the beam to be going into your eye. If the beam/reflection is in your field of vision and entering your eye, you're screwed.

You'd be crazy to use something like this outside a sealed room with no windows, all doors closed, no person/pet/etc in the room without eye protection, etc.

Because of the great ability to do harm, and the very common misconception about how dangerous these things really are, I'm FAR more concerned about these things being "in the wild" than I am guns. People know to handle guns responsibly. (well, more or less) They're at least aware of what they are capable of. Laser pointers... not so much.

Here is some food for thought, kind of in keeping with the forum. If you saw someone pointing one of these devices at you, keeping in mind that they can blind you virtually instantly with the press of a button, EVEN IF YOUR EYES ARE CLOSED... Would you consider yourself justified to draw on them? (Setting aside the difficultly of out-drawing a button press. I'm really just asking you to ponder how serious you consider the situation to be.)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links