Why have an assisted opener

This is a discussion on Why have an assisted opener within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Billy Ng So why do you feel you need a knife that has an open-assist? One-handed operation is painfully simple with thumb ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why have an assisted opener

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Ng View Post
    So why do you feel you need a knife that has an open-assist? One-handed operation is painfully simple with thumb studs.
    are we talking about the same thing???? Both my knives (EDC) have a thumb stud on both sides of the blade and when I push it the knife opens on it's own, thats what I consider an assisted opening knife (AOK)

Is that what you are talking about or are you referring to a spring loaded auto-opening knife?

seriously confused?
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

2. Remove Ads

Why have a assisted opener
    yep i agree..... no assisted opener here:

got to texas as fast as i could...Fuhgeddaboudit!

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac00 View Post
    are we talking about the same thing???? Both my knives (EDC) have a thumb stud on both sides of the blade and when I push it the knife opens on it's own, thats what I consider an assisted opening knife (AOK)

Is that what you are talking about or are you referring to a spring loaded auto-opening knife?

seriously confused?
    Is there a spring that helps open the blade in any way? I have many thumb studded knives, but the flick of my thumb is what opens them, there is nothing within the knife that assists that operation (as automatic and spring-assisted knives do)

If you only need to push your blade part of the way out and then a spring takes care of the rest ... then yes, that's an AOK. If your thumb is the sole means of force enacted on the blade, then no, that is not considered an AOK.
    Billy
    Fusion Tact-5 in a Pure Kustom Black-Ops Pro
    Glock 23 in a Barber Leatherworks IWB

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    judging by the op i know its impossible to imagine but there may be a circumstance where you are unble to fully open the blade in a bad situation due to hand placement or space considerations....a blade that deploys itself might be handy in these situations...i know if i can slide my hand up the spine of the knife i can activate it...and that is possible in the event i cant get to the thumb stud....

i open my knives both ways depending on my mood and to be honest the assisted opening feature is like lightning and requires no hand movement at all so its preferred if i need the knife deployed in a hurry...but either way its quick...

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Ng View Post
    Is there a spring that helps open the blade in any way? I have many thumb studded knives, but the flick of my thumb is what opens them, there is nothing within the knife that assists that operation (as automatic and spring-assisted knives do)

If you only need to push your blade part of the way out and then a spring takes care of the rest ... then yes, that's an AOK. If your thumb is the sole means of force enacted on the blade, then no, that is not considered an AOK.
    My Bad, I guess I'm confused as to what a AOK is. Mine are NOT spring loaded.

I just move the thumb stud and the blade opens
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    That's pretty much it, Jmac00.

Some people like the extra boost of an assisted-open but I have noted no real difference in deployability or speed of access. One thing I have noticed is that an assisted-opening system that has failed, as my aforementioned friend's Benchmade Barrage did in depressingly short order and he has since traded it in to Benchmade for a standard Rant, has pretty good chance of making the knife all but inoperable. Not likely with a quality manufacturer like Benchmade or Kershaw, certainly, but it's also pretty unlikely that you'll have to defend yourself with a knife so you've already beat the odds once.

What's one more porkchop amongst friends?

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by can2boy View Post
    yep i agree..... no assisted opener here:
    I find myself in 100% agreement with this post.

Assisted open type for me thank you. I've had them all and I can deploy this type better and faster. It's a personal thing.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Man this thread is about as bad as the old standard .45 vs 9 or open vs concealed or two hands vs one or ...my pickle is longer than yours...
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

I like both. I own about a hundred knives and i found that there is one for everybody. I like the thumbstuds and that is what i carry.
    A good friend will come bail you out of jail...But a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "Damn we screwed up".

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmac00 View Post
    My Bad, I guess I'm confused as to what a AOK is. Mine are NOT spring loaded.

I just move the thumb stud and the blade opens
    AOK - Assisted Opening Knife. Usually has a torsion bar or spring helping the blade to open and is activated by putting pressure on a thumb stud or kicker on the blade. Generally, you start the opening action and the knife does the rest. This is not a switchblade. Switchblades open by pressing a button on the handle of the knife, not the blade. The OP may have confused some with the title of the thread and his OP comments.

Non AOK - in the sense of this thread, a manually opening knife that has a hole in, or stud on the blade to facilitate the opening and locking of the blade with the thumb of the hand holding the knife. From fully closed to fully open is all manually powered. Knives with a thumb nick would also fall in this category, but generally take 2 hands to open and are not the subject of this thread.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

I have a Kershaw Leek and a Benchmade Aphid. They both have extremely fast and easy assisted opening, but I don't usually carry them as an EDC. I carry either a Benchmade Kulgera that I usually flick open with my wrist or an Emerson CQC-10 which I use the Wave opening.

Administrator

Thumbs up

Tell the truth folks. Tell it like it is.
    There IS a certain degree of Coolness Factor to the Assisted Opener knives. They are neat knives.
    The mechanism is SIMPLE ~ it's not complex.
    So the AO feature is not really complicating the knife much at all.
    Just find one of good quality that is not junk.

What? Are we now going to make "neatness & coolness" taboo in America?

We are Americans.
    We actually LIKE and appreciate some degree of doggone coolness.

Are we now going to apologize for liking a cool perfectly functioning Assisted Opener?

We're hopefully still in the land of the free and the home of the brave...for a little while longer anyway.

You want an AOK because you just happen to LIKE the way it flicks open & you have the hard earned (gradually depreciating) American Dollars to pay for one.

You go buy one if for no other reason than it's just because you want one and you can afford to own one...or two...or three of them. & God Bless America.

Own & carry the knife you like. It's a great American tradition.
    Our forefathers were never without a blade and if they were ever without one there sure were times when they wished they had one.

I've hurt my thumb and couldn't open my knife (Paraframe) with the thumbstud. I can open a BM Griptilian by simply flicking my wrist.

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    I prefer the Spyderco hole and/or the Emerson wave to the thumb stud, myself. AO knives are fine, but I would like a backup means of opening it completely manually. For example, while the Leek has a thumb stud, it's practically unusable. Fortunately, the flipper mechanism can be used manually.
    Hakkaa päälle!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links