Why have an assisted opener - Page 4

Why have an assisted opener

This is a discussion on Why have an assisted opener within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It depends on the thumb stud (or other opener type as I prefer the SpyderHole) location on the blade, the blade to pivot position, your ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Why have an assisted opener

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    It depends on the thumb stud (or other opener type as I prefer the SpyderHole) location on the blade, the blade to pivot position, your own thumb length and strength, and a series of other factors including familiarity with the tool in your hand.
    An assisted-opener doesn't help me much because I deploy my folding blades with a four-step process. This sequence is done with a tip-up blade as most Benchmade knives tend to be of this clip orientation: 1) attain a thumb-behind the knife body and bottom-three finger grip on the pocket clip and handle (I place my middle finger inside the bottom groove of the clip for extra purchase and grip location orientation), 2) withdraw the knife from the pocket, 3) roll the knife up into a hammer fist with my thumb on top (I use this to steady the knife in the hand instead of the hip bump that mercop prefers), 4) deploy the blade with my thumb if necessary and I have time and space to do so.
    As you can see, my particular sequence doesn't give me a way to effectively deploy a flipper of any type, AO or not, and with everything already lined up an AO will open the blade no better than my thumb is already doing so. Now add that my knife is a Benchmade with and Axis Lock and the ease of blade deployment makes it largely a non-issue where the extra gee-whiz of an assist really doesn't do me any good.
    Last edited by psychophipps; June 18th, 2010 at 04:40 PM. Reason: clarification

Quote Originally Posted by bassoneer View Post
    I must be missing something...why is a thumb stud better than an assited opening knive? I have lots of both, and I have my own thoughts, but I'm wondering for those so big on thumb studs...am I doing it wrong? Is there something that is counter-intuitive and I'm just missing it? Seems pretty straight-forward to me...they both work, but the assisted opening knives are much faster (for me)...what am I missing? Thanks, B
    I know for me, an assisted opener offers zero speed improvement in deployment. A small flick of my thumb and my blade is open with the thumb stud - snapped open hard.

The assisted openers only provide me with increased costs and questionable legality ... so two negatives and zero positives = "no thanks" for me.
    Billy
    Fusion Tact-5 in a Pure Kustom Black-Ops Pro
    Glock 23 in a Barber Leatherworks IWB

I found out I have a very handy assisted opener, we were out fishing and I got a reel all tangled up, so I had our friends 12 year old pull my knife out of the little sheath and open it for me?

and then for some reason I thought of this thread and I just started laughing. I pretty sure the lad thinks I'm nuts

Oh well
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

I love my SOG Flash II. Clips onto my strong side pocket, opens faster than the bad guy can blink, and the blade is the perfect size (plain edge). I always leave that little "safety" off too, unless friends are trying to play with it :-)

And the Flash II has a thumb stud AND is assisted in opening, making the move to open the blade natural and yet enhanced with speed. Perfect.
    Last edited by Gamecocks1; June 20th, 2010 at 10:20 PM. Reason: forgetfulness

Without having a trainer and training for your knife it is all ******** and fairy dust.- George

Quote Originally Posted by mercop View Post
    Without having a trainer and training for your knife it is all ******** and fairy dust.- George
    I hate it when you waffle around like that, George. Just come right out a say it already!

Why have an assisted opener

Quote Originally Posted by Gamecocks1 View Post
    I love my SOG Flash II. Clips onto my strong side pocket, opens faster than the bad guy can blink, and the blade is the perfect size (plain edge). I always leave that little "safety" off too, unless friends are trying to play with it :-)

And the Flash II has a thumb stud AND is assisted in opening, making the move to open the blade natural and yet enhanced with speed. Perfect.
    I just received my SOG Trident Tanto. It also has a safety. I don't plan to use a safety, though.

I am a Gamecock, also, 1993.
    NRA, Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    Give me a fixed blade, or a folder with a zip tie on the blade. Much faster than any automatic knife on the draw, let alone an assisted knife.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    What does the zip tie do?

Does it give you an extra grip?

I was just wondering because I am thinking about buying this knife.

The zip-tie is often referred to as a "ghetto wave" as it allows the zip-tie to hook on the pocket rim to open the blade when the knife is carried tip-up.

Lead Moderator
    Due to small hands and a old injury I prefer a assisted opener. The zip tie method may or may not work every time depending on pants fit .
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Due to small hands and a old injury I prefer a assisted opener. The zip tie method may or may not work every time depending on pants fit .
    It also works better with jeans than slacks or other dress pants.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Ng View Post
    I'm with you Jones. I've found that those who prefer assisted openers have either never had a knife with thumb studs or had one but never learned to use the stud properly.

Have a co-worker who's carried a Buck every day for 17 years (constantly bragging about it). He lost that Buck recently while kayaking and was looking at getting an assisted opener as a replacement to improve the deployment speed. Showed him my BM 950 (Rift) and showed him how to use the thumb studs and he was blown away. Went out and bought a Mini-Griptilian a day or two later.

While shopping for my Rift, I also took a look at the auto-Presidio ... I could get the Rift open quicker with the thumb stud than I could get the Presidio open.
    And people who drive cars never learned to set a horse properly .

Some people who use spring assist are very handy with a thumb bolt, but we have learned to use new technology to our advantage.

Beside, the little "wooshy" sound is cool.....
    Andy
    You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas - David Crockett
    When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by WvHiker View Post
    I will say this about assisted openers; don't try to follow through the motion like you do with your regular thumbstud knives. The blade will outpace your thumb enough that you wind up pushing the edge. The sharp, sharp edge. So other than learning to just let it go once it's in motion I didn't see much of a difference. I wound up giving my assisted opener to my cousin, but more because he was crazy over it than because I didn't like it. I liked it just fine, I just didn't feel that it was something I could live without.
    Well thats just great....NOW I WANT PANCAKES!!!!

**EDIT- See WvHikers avatar**
    Andy
    When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by can2boy View Post
    yep i agree..... no assisted opener here:

Going to the adoption center next week and bringing one of these puppies home myself

Not to hijack the thread, but which do you prefer to EDC, the small or large TDI?
    Andy

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Sponsored Links