Why have an assisted opener

This is a discussion on Why have an assisted opener within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I can open my bench made knives with my thumb just as fast as you can a switch blade,and its legal too.Maybe years ago they ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why have an assisted opener

Why have an assisted opener

I can open my bench made knives with my thumb just as fast as you can a switch blade,and its legal too.Maybe years ago they helped but not anymore and even then they were poor metal,that wouldn't hold an edge. sj

2. Remove Ads

I have had both and I prefer the assisted open knives. I currently carry a Kershaw Leek, and I find the assisted open feature very useful.
    My GLOCK goes BANG every time!

Quote Originally Posted by sjones View Post
    I can open my bench made knives with my thumb just as fast as you can a switch blade,and its legal too.Maybe years ago they helped but not anymore and even then they were poor metal,that wouldn't hold an edge. sj
    I'm with you Jones. I've found that those who prefer assisted openers have either never had a knife with thumb studs or had one but never learned to use the stud properly.

Have a co-worker who's carried a Buck every day for 17 years (constantly bragging about it). He lost that Buck recently while kayaking and was looking at getting an assisted opener as a replacement to improve the deployment speed. Showed him my BM 950 (Rift) and showed him how to use the thumb studs and he was blown away. Went out and bought a Mini-Griptilian a day or two later.

While shopping for my Rift, I also took a look at the auto-Presidio ... I could get the Rift open quicker with the thumb stud than I could get the Presidio open.
    Billy
    Fusion Tact-5 in a Pure Kustom Black-Ops Pro
    Glock 23 in a Barber Leatherworks IWB

I still prefer a waved emerson or spyderco, fastest deployers ive seen, without any extra moving parts to break. my second choice is something with good thumbstuds.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Administrator
    It's a personal preference thing. Whatever floats your individual boat. Lots of various assorted knives out there to choose from. Folks should find out what works best for them and then carry that one.

to answer your question?

I have a AOK because may times I have one hand holding something and I need my knife to remove it and I don't want to let go of it, so a AOK is the ideal tool. A blade that I can open with one hand is very..........Handy

I have no use for a "switch blade" or one of the "butterfly" type blades. They are cheap and weak and way to much screwing around to get it open.
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

After a box of bandaids, I can open and close my assisted opener with one hand...very handy.

Whatever works for ya'...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac00 View Post
    to answer your question?

I have a AOK because may times I have one hand holding something and I need my knife to remove it and I don't want to let go of it, so a AOK is the ideal tool. A blade that I can open with one hand is very..........Handy

I have no use for a "switch blade" or one of the "butterfly" type blades. They are cheap and weak and way to much screwing around to get it open.
    Never used a knife with a thumb stud, have you?
    Billy

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Ng View Post
    Never used a knife with a thumb stud, have you?
    every single day. I have a Kershaw Blur and a Timberline both have thumb studs to assist opening
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

VIP Member
    Billy Ng prefers manual opening knives while Jmac00 prefers assisted opening knives; both can open their knives with 1 hand. Its simply a matter of preference.

I have used both and prefer a knife that can be opened by either hand. This can be with a hole, stud or kicker. On some knives, clips get in the way of the hole or stud for the side the clip is on. Kickers work great regardless of where the clip is. My current carry is a Kershaw Leek - has both studs and a kicker. I amost never use the studs.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

I will say this about assisted openers; don't try to follow through the motion like you do with your regular thumbstud knives. The blade will outpace your thumb enough that you wind up pushing the edge. The sharp, sharp edge. So other than learning to just let it go once it's in motion I didn't see much of a difference. I wound up giving my assisted opener to my cousin, but more because he was crazy over it than because I didn't like it. I liked it just fine, I just didn't feel that it was something I could live without.

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    Also watch that blade length as you swap from one knife to another. I was messing around with stressed deployments one day with my friend's assisted-opening Benchmade Barrage and I didn't track that his blade was about 1/4" longer than my Griptilian blade. Gave myself a nice little slice on my off-hand thumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac00 View Post
    every single day. I have a Kershaw Blur and a Timberline both have thumb studs to assist opening
    So why do you feel you need a knife that has an open-assist? One-handed operation is painfully simple with thumb studs.
    Billy

I don't think you should have to justify having an opening assisted knife anymore than you should have to justify having, say, high capacity magazines or pistols without external safeties.

Why have an assisted opener?
    Chicks dig it

Just personal preference, never had one till I got my Sog, I really like it and will probably continue to use one. I like how it takes less motion. JMHO
    Being shot in the process of committing a crime provides potent Pavlovian conditioning to the perpetrator.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links