My new blade -Recon 1

My new blade -Recon 1

This is a discussion on My new blade -Recon 1 within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been doing some research and shopping around for a new blade. My Kershaw skyline is a great knife. Light, holds a good edge, ...

Thread: My new blade -Recon 1

My new blade -Recon 1

I have been doing some research and shopping around for a new blade. My Kershaw skyline is a great knife. Light, holds a good edge, does pretty much everything I want it to. There are a couple of reasons I was looking for something else. For one, I wanted something a bit more geared towards defensive use for when I am at work since I can't carry my pistol but no body cares in the least about knives. Secondly a big honkin tanto will go through kevlar without a second thought. Thugs around here seem to be wearing the stuff as commonly as they do underwear.

Thirdly it's a bit more suited to emergency survival use then my skyline because of the overall size and strength. A fireman actually used it to pry a elevator door open yesterday when we had a power outage and the fire department was called to get someone out of the elevator but they forgot the pry bar in the truck. I whipped this bad boy out and handed it to one of them and they promptly wedged it between the door and poped it open. The thing is freaking STRONG.

Downsides - It's big. Not huge but big. Honestly it's not uncomfortable in the least bit to carry but it's still a big knife. Weight isn't bad at right around 5 ounces. The major down side for me (And I know this is kinda dumb but....) I feel kinda like a mall ninja carrying it. I don't really have to use it in public as I also carry a Gerber crucial tool which has a blade that I can use for every day tasks but still. It's a big honking tanto thats more or less designed to be a fighting knife and I can't shake that mall ninja feeling when I'm wearing it. There's just something about carrying to weapons that makes me feel like everyone is looking at me thinking I'm some kind of internet commando (Even thought they dont KNOW im carrying two weapons) I'm going to carry it for another week to see if I can shake the feeling.

Anyway, Enjoy the pics!

PS - This is the second generation recon 1 by the way.
    Attached Images
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    Nice knife. Is it assisted open? Can you reverst the clip?
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

Quote Originally Posted by CCWFlaRuger View Post
    Nice knife. Is it assisted open? Can you reverst the clip?
    It is not assisted open. Not sure exactly what you mean by reverse the clip. The clip can be put on either side (For right or left handed users) however it cant be placed for tip up carry. Only tip down.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    Secondly a big honkin tanto will go through kevlar without a second thought. Thugs around here seem to be wearing the stuff as commonly as they do underwear.
    Whoa there now, Hoss! You need to be aware that this is largely an internet/urban myth and that tactical protection has improved dramatically since this claim may or may not have actually been true in the first place. The chances of any tanto from any manufacturer, made from any steel, with any blade shape, or any grind just "going through kevlar without a second thought", if it's a quality product, is between "not gonna happen, homie" and "maybe if it was strapped to a big rig bumper first with a long run-up to impact".

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    I have the 1st generation model with the clip blade. It is a workhorse.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

Nice looking kinfe. If you do not mind me asking. How much did you pay for it and where did your make the purchase?

Quote Originally Posted by WhoWeBePart1 View Post
    Nice looking kinfe. If you do not mind me asking. How much did you pay for it and where did your make the purchase?
    I paid 65.00 with shipping and I got it from https://www.dealerease.net/catalog/p...5035&pid=71361 This is the second gen model and they were the only people with them in stock.

Quote Originally Posted by psychophipps View Post
    Whoa there now, Hoss! You need to be aware that this is largely an internet/urban myth and that tactical protection has improved dramatically since this claim may or may not have actually been true in the first place. The chances of any tanto from any manufacturer, made from any steel, with any blade shape, or any grind just "going through kevlar without a second thought", if it's a quality product, is between "not gonna happen, homie" and "maybe if it was strapped to a big rig bumper first with a long run-up to impact".
    The Tanto by nature is pretty much the best penetrating blade shape. Unfortunately it is not as good at other tasks as a lot of other blades. When it comes to Kevlar the thugs around here are not wearing "the good stuff" They are wearing crappy 60 dollar knock offs they bought off the internet because they want to be like 50 cent. Don't get me wrong, this was not the primary reason I went with this blade as I think the chances of me REALLY having to puncture kevlar are EXTREMELY slim but it's a option. And my motto recently has been - Options, the more the better!

I have a 1st gen. half serrated Tanto that has been my EDC for the past 5 years. Starting to pickup some scratches and just enough wear to give it character. I am very pleased with it contrary to a lot of negative comments I read about Cold Steel and it's materials. The only weakness I have noticed is the black coating on the blade is a little soft.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

When power is up for grabs; personal liberty is usually one of the first casualties…

NICE!!

Sponsored Links