Carrying a big knife!

Carrying a big knife!

This is a discussion on Carrying a big knife! within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have never been much of a knife guy. I've always carried one but it was always for opening boxes and other light duty tasks. ...

Carrying a big knife!

I have never been much of a knife guy. I've always carried one but it was always for opening boxes and other light duty tasks. On a whim I decided to order a Cold Steel Recon 1 Tanto and have been carrying it for the past couple days. I have to admit that as big as it is it doesn't carry heavy in the pocket at and I don't even notice it. The interesting thing is that I have used it for several things so far in the past 24 hours that if I would have ad a SMALLER knife I would have had to go and get a different tool.

1. We got some severe weather last night. Heavy rain and HIGH winds. I was worried about my green beans in my garden so I went out side with some string and Bamboo stakes to tie them up. The stakes were very long and I only had 2 but three green bean plants. I pulled out the recon one and with a quick wrist roll sliced them cleanly in half. Could I have done it with a smaller knife? Yes, but it would not have been nearly as easy or quick.

2. I go out this morning to check the status of previously mentioned green beans. I have this plastic rubber maid container thing that about 3 feet tall that holds small gardening tools and fertilizer and such. The wind had been so fierce that it had blown it half way across my yard and disassembled it (It's easy to put back together). When I picked up the doors there was a good amount of water in them (They are hollow) but I couldn't see how it had gotten in. I whipped out my recon 1 and stuck it in the bottom and gave it a firm twist to create a hole to let the water drain out. The plastic isn't SUPER thick but it's definitely thick enough that I wouldn't have tried it with a less tough knife.

All in all I think I am actually going to like this thing. When I first got it I was a bit on the fence but now I'm starting to see how a larger / tougher blade can be quite useful. I would never carry it as my only blade though as whipping this bad boy out tends to draw a bit of attention. For light duty work I use the blade from my Gerber crucial tool.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

good

sounds like a keeper . you will not know how you made it this long with out it.
    Guns dont kill people. people kill people
    Μολὼν λαβέ

You should know better Rollo, we can't read thaat long of a post without a picture.
    NRA Endowment Member
    USCCA Member
    Certified Glock Armorer
    Patriot Guard Rider

Quote Originally Posted by Joeface View Post
    You should know better Rollo, we can't read thaat long of a post without a picture.
    Sorry Joe :) Picks can be found in this thread http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...recon-1-a.html

On a side note - If you have uploaded pics to a thread is there a way to post them in another thread without re-uploading them?

yep <~~~

-It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    On a side note - If you have uploaded pics to a thread is there a way to post them in another thread without re-uploading them?
    Set up an account with photobucket. It's free. Once you upload your pics to your account, you can just copy/paste a link to them. They don't show up as thumbnails, either.

Quote Originally Posted by unloved View Post
    Set up an account with photobucket. It's free. Once you upload your pics to your account, you can just copy/paste a link to them. They don't show up as thumbnails, either.
    I actually have a photo bucket account but tend not to use it because I find the interface about as intuitive as Microsoft access.

Try flickr then.
    Adam

"For me, it is far better to grasp the universe as it is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." Carl Sagan - The Demon-Haunted World

Links