Knife deployment problem. - Page 2

Knife deployment problem.

This is a discussion on Knife deployment problem. within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Bm7b5 Some important info is missing. What position are you drawing from? How fast are you drawing it? What speed are you ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Knife deployment problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Bm7b5 View Post
    Some important info is missing. What position are you drawing from? How fast are you drawing it? What speed are you trying to attain and from what position? For the most part, situations that require deploying a folding knife for defensive purposes do not require extreme speed. Being able to consistently and safely deploy your folding knife from many positions (including many different kinds of compromised positions from the ground) is far more important.
    When you refer to position do you mean standing up, sitting down, etc? Standing up. Trying to draw as fast as possible while still maintaining control of the knife.

To be honest I have gone back to carrying my Kershaw skyline. I can deploy it wicked fast without having to adjust my hand at all. I like the recon 1 as it's big heavy blade is more suited to heavy duty tasks but my skyline is so much easier to deploy. The recon has been relegated to my maxpedition bag. Overall I think I really just like the flipper design that the skyline has. I would prefer something more suited for defense but I'm not willing to give up ease of deployment for it.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    When you refer to position do you mean standing up, sitting down, etc? Standing up. Trying to draw as fast as possible while still maintaining control of the knife.

To be honest I have gone back to carrying my Kershaw skyline. I can deploy it wicked fast without having to adjust my hand at all. I like the recon 1 as it's big heavy blade is more suited to heavy duty tasks but my skyline is so much easier to deploy. The recon has been relegated to my maxpedition bag. Overall I think I really just like the flipper design that the skyline has. I would prefer something more suited for defense but I'm not willing to give up ease of deployment for it.
    That's the question I was asking you. You seem to assume that you are going to be on your feet when you draw your pocket knife for self defense. I would suggest that there is a greater likelihood that you will need to draw when you are on the ground getting the crap kicked out of you, being choked, or being held down so that a 2nd person can kick the crap out of you.
    A traffic ticket is formal recognition of a lapse in situational awareness.

The problem is that when I draw the knife the grip I have on it puts my thumb nowhere near the thumb stud.
    This won't be very helpful to you (sorry), but the problem you've described is exactly why I only use tip-down carry for defensive folders. With tip-up, you have to "walk" your hand up the knife to get it into a good position for opening. It gets worse with larger knives, too.

Tip-down puts your thumb right in position at the stud/hole, and the knife only needs to be rotated slightly to bring it into position for opening.

Quote Originally Posted by unloved View Post
    This won't be very helpful to you (sorry), but the problem you've described is exactly why I only use tip-down carry for defensive folders. With tip-up, you have to "walk" your hand up the knife to get it into a good position for opening. It gets worse with larger knives, too.

Tip-down puts your thumb right in position at the stud/hole, and the knife only needs to be rotated slightly to bring it into position for opening.
    I never understood wanting to carry a knife tip down until I tried a large folder. Now it makes perfect sense. For small folders tip down is great but for big ones what you said makes perfect sense. Unfortunately the recon doesn't have the option to go tip down :(
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Bm7b5 View Post
    That's the question I was asking you. You seem to assume that you are going to be on your feet when you draw your pocket knife for self defense. I would suggest that there is a greater likelihood that you will need to draw when you are on the ground getting the crap kicked out of you, being choked, or being held down so that a 2nd person can kick the crap out of you.
    Well, this is another point against the recon for me then as I can't deploy the thing well standing up under no stress.

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    Well, this is another point against the recon for me then as I can't deploy the thing well standing up under no stress.
    At least this lesson wasn't too expensive. Now you know why I try to tell anyone that starts a "looking for a knife" thread to go to a store and really fondle the thing, deploy it a few times from the pocket, etc. before they make a decision on a defensive folder. Just because it works for Joe doesn't mean it'll be all that great for Jake, after all.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links