Knife deployment problem.

This is a discussion on Knife deployment problem. within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As some of you probably already know I have been carrying the cold steel recon 1 for the past few days and enjoying it quite ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

As some of you probably already know I have been carrying the cold steel recon 1 for the past few days and enjoying it quite a bit. Today however I found a fairly big problem. Up until today I hadn't really practiced with deploying the knife from my pocket quickly. I would gingerly pull it out and open it. I wanted to do some fast deployment practice in case I ever (heaven forbid) have to use it for defense. Well, I'm not sure if it's that I have small hands but deploying this thing quickly for me is impossible. The problem is that when I draw the knife the grip I have on it puts my thumb nowhere near the thumb stud. I have to redeposition my hand a good deal of a ways up to be able to reach it. This feels extremely sloppy and slow.

On the other hand when I pull m skyline out my index finger is naturally over the flipper so I can open it extremely fast. So my question is this. When drawing a large folder from your pocket how do you keep from having to reposition your hand after the draw to open the blade quickly? I have included some pictures to hopefully illustrate what I mean.

Thanks!
    Attached Images
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Many times how the knife is positioned in your pocket (depending on clip if it has one) and how you grab it, finger tips or full grip.
    There is another method, that once you obtain a good grip, known as the "Brownie Pop". A sudden upward snap of the wrist will cause the blade to unfold into locking position, with no intervention by the thumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Many times how the knife is positioned in your pocket (depending on clip if it has one) and how you grab it, finger tips or full grip.
    There is another method, that once you obtain a good grip, known as the "Brownie Pop". A sudden upward snap of the wrist will cause the blade to unfold into locking position, with no intervention by the thumb.
    I can deploy this blade without the thumb stud (Via flicking the wrist like you stated) but there are 2 issues with that. The first issue is that It's hard. It requires quite a bit of force to deploy the blade. I have been working the action on the knife a lot (going back and fourth) but it doesn't seem to be getting much better.

The second issue is that I still have to reposition my hand on the knife to get a more secure grasp on it as when I tried this with half the blade sticking out of my hand I almost lost control of the knife and dropped it.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

If that model has a screw through the base of the blade to secure it, you may be able to slightly loosen the screw to lighten the tension, thereby lessening the force required to open it.

I have found, at least for me, that in time hand repositioning becomes automatic

Is your recon an older model with the axis style lock or the new triad style? I have big hands but when I draw mine I reach my thumb down in my pocket as far as I can and try to get on the axis style lock. As I draw, I hold the lock down and snap my wrist (almost a rolling motion)palm down to palm up. When the blade is out I release the lock. Try that. Hope it helps.

Jaosn
    "Put on the whole armor of God..."

A sane mind will never let you practice drawing at combat speed with a live knife.

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    Lock-back knifes tend to have a stiffer detent than other lock types so that is a contributing factor in the opening of your Recon. I recently started playing with my Spyderco trainers again and they're much harder to open than my Griptilian trainer.

How I position the knife after withdrawal during deployment is to get the knife into a thumb-on-top Hammer grip. This gets my thumb right where it needs to be and gives me a chance to get a feel for what's going on with it on top of the obvious ability to bonk if I have to.

I've found a partial work around for my issue. Prepare yourselves as this is going to be a pretty horrible description. When I draw the knife I can kind of "bang it" against my right butt cheek to drive it deeper into my hand to the point where I have enough of a grip where I can just flick it out. The downside to this is it's a extra step. The upside is that it only take about 1/2 a second.

mercop teaches a hip bump which would probably work better as it keeps the knife to the front and towards your assailant on top of not opening yourself up to an arm hook as easily as reaching behind you does.

Quote Originally Posted by psychophipps View Post
    mercop teaches a hip bump which would probably work better as it keeps the knife to the front and towards your assailant on top of not opening yourself up to an arm hook as easily as reaching behind you does.
    Good info. I need no reason I can;t adjust the bump forward a bit.

Can you open your knife by dead dropping it? It' some what like flicking it open, thumb on clip, and sweep down with your wrest making a C like movement.

Quote Originally Posted by mercop View Post
    A sane mind will never let you practice drawing at combat speed with a live knife.
    Making it all the more important that if the company that manufacturers the knife doesn't make a trainer version (or you can't find something pretty close) that you're willing to spend the extra to buy two of the carry knife to fashion your own trainer.

I would also warn against changing the tension on the pivot screw. If it works it's way loose after you've loosened it to make it easier to open you could end up with the blade to come out of the handle while the knife is in your pocket, and an unpleasant surprise when you draw the knife.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    I've found a partial work around for my issue. Prepare yourselves as this is going to be a pretty horrible description. When I draw the knife I can kind of "bang it" against my right butt cheek to drive it deeper into my hand to the point where I have enough of a grip where I can just flick it out. The downside to this is it's a extra step. The upside is that it only take about 1/2 a second.
    I use a similar method when I'm drawing a knife that is carried tip down. After the initial draw I index the knife against my thigh to get a better grip on it before I attempt to open it. It's not quite as fast for me (versus drawing a knife carried tip up) but it is consistent.
    Martial Blade Concepts, Jiu-Jitsu & Eskrima NRA, GOA, NYSRPA, LIF, Old Bethpage Rifle & Pistol Club

Some important info is missing. What position are you drawing from? How fast are you drawing it? What speed are you trying to attain and from what position? For the most part, situations that require deploying a folding knife for defensive purposes do not require extreme speed. Being able to consistently and safely deploy your folding knife from many positions (including many different kinds of compromised positions from the ground) is far more important.
    A traffic ticket is formal recognition of a lapse in situational awareness.

Quote Originally Posted by Bm7b5 View Post
    Some important info is missing. What position are you drawing from? How fast are you drawing it? What speed are you trying to attain and from what position? For the most part, situations that require deploying a folding knife for defensive purposes do not require extreme speed. Being able to consistently and safely deploy your folding knife from many positions (including many different kinds of compromised positions from the ground) is far more important.
    Good point...and you never sacrifice control for speed. Speed will come with repetition. Slow, consistent practice utilizing proper mechanics will ultimately result in increased speed.
    Martial Blade Concepts, Jiu-Jitsu & Eskrima NRA, GOA, NYSRPA, LIF, Old Bethpage Rifle & Pistol Club

Also keep in mind that most knives are not designed with deployment in mind. They do all sorts of wiggling on the blade shape and handle ergos, but the worry of deployment when you're on your back and some guy is pounding the paste out of your tomato more often than not never even crosses their minds.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links