MCS Combat Pen basics featuring Alpha Innovations Stylus

This is a discussion on MCS Combat Pen basics featuring Alpha Innovations Stylus within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; YouTube - Combat Pen Basics featuring Alpha Innovations Stylus...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: MCS Combat Pen basics featuring Alpha Innovations Stylus

MCS Combat Pen basics featuring Alpha Innovations Stylus

2. Remove Ads

Good information. Use what you have!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    My only beef with using a tactical pen with a thumb lock is that thumb locks are hard to practice safely under stress. You got nothing and then their thumb is ready to all but break off so it's hard to get that "happy medium" when you train at anything much more than a casual pace.

Great stuff like always, George!

Thumbs are best attacked on pavement with a heel stomp:)

Especially since that tends to mean that their face is right there for a kick or knee with the other leg?

Look, I'm all for using whatever tool you have available to you at the time, but if you think lobster claw grabbing, poking or japping that pen into someones arm, neck or back is going to inflict a serious injury on an asocial attacker when your life is on the line, I think that's a foolish wager.

Now, on the other hand. If this video showed Joe Public how to plunge that tool into a persons skull via the eye socket with everything you have, then I would agree that this would be a useful application of that tool, and likely to get us the injury we need. Think about it...
    Violence is rarely the answer, but when it is the answer, it's the ONLY answer...

Plan for the unthinkable like it's the inevitable.

Thanks for you insight, it is called a measured response based on the totality of the circumstances.

Can you please tell us a little about yourself so that we might have a better understanding where you are coming from?- George

Still waiting for your response while I "think about" why you would not want to have any thing less than deadly force in your personal protection plan. You would use deadly force to deal with a an open hand grab?- George

I was thinking of getting my daughter on of these "tactical" pens so she could carry it where she wouldnt be allowed to carry OC (school ect). Two questions. At what age would it be appropriate? (my daughter will be 13 next month) And aside from high speed you tube videos where can one get training on such things?
    Please take my posts with a grain of salt. I am frequently sleep deprived and always just on this side of "Krazy".

When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle. Edmund Burke

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ViperPowered View Post
    Look, I'm all for using whatever tool you have available to you at the time, but if you think lobster claw grabbing, poking or japping that pen into someones arm, neck or back is going to inflict a serious injury on an asocial attacker when your life is on the line, I think that's a foolish wager.

Now, on the other hand. If this video showed Joe Public how to plunge that tool into a persons skull via the eye socket with everything you have, then I would agree that this would be a useful application of that tool, and likely to get us the injury we need. Think about it...
    Sounds like someone who may have studied some TFT.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Distinguished Member Array shockwave's Avatar
    The ASP Street Defender is a kuboton that's also a pepper spray canister. The Guardfather OTF Spike is a kuboton with some additional options. A larger folding blade has kuboton capability. Since the use of a kuboton (yawara stick, tactical pen, etc.) requires a fairly high degree of skill to use effectively, I recommend carrying something that can be used as a weapon of that type, but that also has another purpose with greater defensive potential.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

I think that tools such as these can be very effective within their place in a use of force continuum. You don't go for your tactical pen against a shotgun wielder across the room for what hopefully strikes everyone reading this as obvious reasons. That said, immediately disregarding these tools as being nonviable simply because they're only lethal or gravely injurious in fairly specific circumstances is a pretty non-optimal way to look at things because, when it comes right down to it, your CCW probably isn't going to kill anyone is a SD situation either, even if you end up shooting someone.

Let's keep it real here, folks...

Quote Originally Posted by ViperPowered View Post

Hello?

Quote Originally Posted by mercop View Post
    Still waiting for your response while I "think about" why you would not want to have any thing less than deadly force in your personal protection plan. You would use deadly force to deal with a an open hand grab?- George
    Hey George,

I don't think I need to list my resume in order to validate for anyone here what my opinion is on this subject. I'll simply tell you that I'm well trained in the subject and feel my level of knowledge and application are at what I would consider a very high level.

This is fairly simple in my opinion. My response to your video had nothing to do with what I would recommend regarding response to a "open hand grab". It was however, what I believe should be the proper intent and use of such a tool should it become necessary to use in an asocial situation. I can tell you this, I would not recommend using an open hand grab on anyone, ever. That's antisocial male chest puffing behavior in my opinion, and it's best to deal with it before it escalates into someone trying to put their hands on you.

Please don't take this the wrong way. I think its great that people like yourself are trying to help others learn how to protect themselves when the need arises. But I view that pen exactly the same way as I view a fist, rock, knife, gun, or bazooka. It's simply the available tool at the time, each equally capable of inflicting an injury on the person I need to shut off. If you don't want to have to injure, maim or kill someone then I would never pull out a tool and attempt to use it in some type of controlling manner without first inflicting an injury on that person. Otherwise you're more that likely going to have a very pissed off person as a result who now views your actions as lethal, and must deal with it accordingly. I would think you being a former Police Officer would understand this better than most. In the real world (we) should not be attempting to train Joe Public to try and use a lethal tool to control someone. Are we going to handcuff them next, put them in a control hold or sit on their chest until he "Taps" or the Police arrive??? That, in most cases only escalates the situation to much higher levels than anyone involved ever wanted to visit! Not to mention the unknown question of what tools or skills your new friend is prepared to use once you've attempted the "lobster claw grab" on his throat. I certainly know what my response would be to it...

Please understand, my comments are not meant to belittle your training or experience in anyway, but intended to provoke thought and a better understanding between us on how we can all be safer and survive. As I said before, think about it...
    Violence is rarely the answer, but when it is the answer, it's the ONLY answer...

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    Sounds like someone who may have studied some TFT.
    Sounds nasty...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links