More IET observations

More IET observations

This is a discussion on More IET observations within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Next we tried the same drill with them having an open blade in the traditional grip. What we found was that they felt the need ...

Thread: More IET observations

More IET observations

Next we tried the same drill with them having an open blade in the traditional grip. What we found was that they felt the need to try to concentrate on using the knife and became fixated on my torso, which kept them right in front of me. This led to some cuts across my midsection and some powerful stabs to my gut (and I have the bruises to prove it). They seemed to forget all about moving off the X and getting to the outside. When they did move it was straight back and two ended up falling with me over them with the stun gun. The got stunned everywhere. At best it probably would have ended up with a mutual slaying. The panic response was to slash violently as they moved straight back; this moving their strong hand way outside their silhouette left their center fully exposed.

We plan on doing more with this drill.

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    I would chalk it up to inexperience and lack of aggression, honestly. Footwork is a tough one to really drill into people (I still do the dumb straight in and out myself from time to time) and most folks won't crawl up on you like they're supposed to in training because it's, well...just not very polite.

One of my favorite drills is to block, eye poke/face mash and drive forward while arm overhooking and stabbing between their legs and retracting with a pull cut. Basic hammer grip for the thrust so it's at an upward angle and you work your way up a bit with each pop. It usually ends up being a one-two-three at under the groin pulling up across the twins, just under and to the right of the belly button and ripping out to open them up, and under the ribs into the liver with a pull cut to open that one up as well.

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    Here's the rest of the article as it seems mercop accidentally copied only half of it...

We had a class yesterday and did a little drill. We have started to use stun guns in training a lot to provoke a realistic startle response. It was an inverted edge tactics class and we started the students with a closed trainer in their pocket. I stood 7 yards away and walked towards them with a stun gun. The goal was to deploy the blade into the inverted grip and cut me while not getting stunned. I pressed the attack upon contact and so did they. What I found was that I took serious pulling scissor cuts under my arms and between my legs. In doing so they were able to move offline to the outside and avoid being stunned. When they did get stunned it was out on the outside of their weapon hand. They were able to land cuts because of the inverted blade and just cyclic cutting because of the panic of trying not to get stunned.

Quote Originally Posted by mercop View Post
    Next we tried the same drill with them having an open blade in the traditional grip. What we found was that they felt the need to try to concentrate on using the knife and became fixated on my torso, which kept them right in front of me. This led to some cuts across my midsection and some powerful stabs to my gut (and I have the bruises to prove it). They seemed to forget all about moving off the X and getting to the outside. When they did move it was straight back and two ended up falling with me over them with the stun gun. The got stunned everywhere. At best it probably would have ended up with a mutual slaying. The panic response was to slash violently as they moved straight back; this moving their strong hand way outside their silhouette left their center fully exposed.

We plan on doing more with this drill.

Sponsored Links