Anyone carry a Spyderco Civilian? - Page 2

Anyone carry a Spyderco Civilian?

This is a discussion on Anyone carry a Spyderco Civilian? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Buckles for those people that have blade length restrictions, there is always the Matriarch. Its smalller, and a littler harder to come ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckles View Post
    for those people that have blade length restrictions, there is always the Matriarch. Its smalller, and a littler harder to come by, but still very cool. Spyderco is actually supposed to do a sprint run of them later this year.
    Buckles,

Appreciated your post. Anything more on the possible Matriarch sprint run?

As an aside for those afflicted by local laws, Spyderco models with hawkbill blades under 3" include the Tasman and Harpy. In the larger size there is also the Spyderhawk :)
    --Bob

DW CCO (2), CBOB + RZ45, Colt MKIV, CD EFS, P45C/T, BHP MKIII, FM M90, PT99AF, M681-1, 689, P238, MK678II

Quote Originally Posted by Bald1 View Post
    Buckles,

Appreciated your post. Anything more on the possible Matriarch sprint run?

As an aside for those afflicted by local laws, Spyderco models with hawkbill blades under 3" include the Tasman and Harpy. In the larger size there is also the Spyderhawk :)
    last i heard is they are going to release them later this year. i think it will he limited to 500 pieces. They are going to be just vg-10 steel with brown FRN scales.

I would not consider a blade like this for self defense because you can't stab somebody with it. Now, while you may personally feel that "slashing" (or should I saw "clawing?" is a superior tactic, it seems pretty silly to select a knife that can ONLY slash when you could just as easily get one that can slash AND stab.

When shooting a gun, being able to hit the target is more important than the ammo you hit them with. Same thing goes for a knife. If you can't hit your target because you are fighting and can't get a slashing motion in but you can get a stabbing motion in, but your knife can't stab, well that's a problem with your knife.

Furthermore, the hook-like shape of it might present a problem in the slashing department. If they are wearing clothing (most BG's do wear clothing), then I think the hook shape might make it difficult to follow through. What if your knife hooks onto their clothing and slows down your second slash attempt?

Sharpening that would be a major PITA, but if you never ever use it except when saving your life, I suppose that doesn't matter much -- you can buy a new one after you dull it on someone's rib cage.
    "In a world of compromise, some don't." -HK

Seems to me that if you want a knife with this general characteristic, you'd be a lot better off getting a kerambit. Either as a folder or as a fixed blade, the kerambit design still allows for stabbing, along with the kind of raking-slashing ability emphasized by the Civilian.

Blade thickness, shape, handle design... This is like the Platypus of knives.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    Seems to me that if you want a knife with this general characteristic, you'd be a lot better off getting a kerambit. Either as a folder or as a fixed blade, the kerambit design still allows for stabbing, along with the kind of raking-slashing ability emphasized by the Civilian.

Blade thickness, shape, handle design... This is like the Platypus of knives.
    - I'm also a fan of the Karambit design. The finger hole is excellent for retention.

Used to carry one, but when I had lock issues it went back home and Spyderco was nice enough to give me a Yojimbo for it.

Ruthless knife. Loved it...

Quote Originally Posted by psychophipps View Post
    I recently had a chance to fiddle with one at a local store and I must say that I was pretty unimpressed. It's overly large and the blade shape is so overspecialized as to be all but useless for most other tasks when compared a standard pocket knife. Now add that there is a complete lack of a trainer for it despite its supposed tactical use and I really don't see the point of it at all.

The DEA wasted a bunch of money on a lame-o, oversized, and very distinctive knife that their "undercover" agents can't train to use effectively...yay.
    I own two of these, one of which I carry every day. Make no mistake about it, this knife is designed specifically for slashing, and the blade is extremely sharp (typical Spyderco)! Tactically speaking, if I needed to deploy this knife for a defensive purpose, it would be as a last resort. I think timing is crucial when it comes to its deployment because it's not a fixed blade. You need to practice opening that blade, and it may not be as easy when in a high stress situation, depending on who you are and how you react. In the event you slash someone with this knife, the damage and blood loss most likely will be severe, depending of course, on where your attacker is "hit." To be effective with the Civilian I think you have to understand the specific design of the blade and how to use it properly for defense. Again, it's not a stabber; it's a slasher. Sweeping, almost circular strikes would be the way to employ. For training purposes, I use a karambit trainer that has a similar shape as the Civilian. This is just my opinion, but it works for me.

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    I stay away from this blade type and there are blades out there of great quality for multi uses and they serve me better but its like so many things guns, cars, holsters and its all in how it works for you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links