Defensive Carry banner

Anyone carry a Spyderco Civilian?

38K views 40 replies 25 participants last post by  RicT 
#1 ·
A "last ditch" defense weapon Sal Glesser (Spyderco CEO) designed for DEA agents, it is a wicked tool.

See less See more
#2 ·
I recently had a chance to fiddle with one at a local store and I must say that I was pretty unimpressed. It's overly large and the blade shape is so overspecialized as to be all but useless for most other tasks when compared a standard pocket knife. Now add that there is a complete lack of a trainer for it despite its supposed tactical use and I really don't see the point of it at all.

The DEA wasted a bunch of money on a lame-o, oversized, and very distinctive knife that their "undercover" agents can't train to use effectively...yay. :rolleyes:

#22 ·
I own two of these, one of which I carry every day. Make no mistake about it, this knife is designed specifically for slashing, and the blade is extremely sharp (typical Spyderco)! Tactically speaking, if I needed to deploy this knife for a defensive purpose, it would be as a last resort. I think timing is crucial when it comes to its deployment because it's not a fixed blade. You need to practice opening that blade, and it may not be as easy when in a high stress situation, depending on who you are and how you react. In the event you slash someone with this knife, the damage and blood loss most likely will be severe, depending of course, on where your attacker is "hit." To be effective with the Civilian I think you have to understand the specific design of the blade and how to use it properly for defense. Again, it's not a stabber; it's a slasher. Sweeping, almost circular strikes would be the way to employ. For training purposes, I use a karambit trainer that has a similar shape as the Civilian. This is just my opinion, but it works for me.

#3 ·
It is not designed for use for anything other than defense period. Spyderco has always made that very clear.

From the Spydie web site: "In the 1990s Spyderco was approached by a specialized branch of U.S. law enforcement about making a knife for their undercover agents. These plain-clothes LEOs found themselves in situations where they often could not carry a firearm but carrying a knife was not a problem. Most had no formal training in self-defense tactics or MBC but as a last resort could use a blade to protect or extricate themselves from a life-threatening situation. This was how the Civilian model came to be."

As for a trainer, James Keating has several variations as well as a video.

Any other objections?

#6 ·
Other than the fact that for the cost of a Civilian and about forty bucks I can buy a Delica/Endura (depending on your local jurisdiction), a Delica/Endura trainer, and mercop's IET video and end up with some decent basic training, the tool I need for this training, and a knife that I can and will EDC because it's actually useful as a daily-use tool?

Not a one... :image035:

#4 ·
I still have a niche for the Spyderco Civilian, mostly because it is so slim and easy to carry in a particular place. I have mostly trained to use conventional blades and karambits, and in fact my EDC is a Tarani Masters Model Karambit folder, and I also carry a small fixed blade most of the time.

The Civilian is neither fish nor fowl; it is not used like a straight blade, nor like most other hooked blades.

Seeing James Keating's Civilian training DVD is VERY educational, whether or not one wants to carry a Civilian.

#5 ·
I still have a niche for the Spyderco Civilian, mostly because it is so slim and easy to carry ...... and I also carry a small fixed blade most of the time.
I too usually carry a small fixed blade (Camillus Talon in either Talonite or 154CM) in a pocket slip sheath. Otherwise either my Simonich Talonite Carnivore folder or a Sebenza BG-42 folder.

The Civilian doesn't see much carry but when I do it's because it is the best choice for the venue involved. BTW mine is the original #C12 serrated ATS-55, aluminum-kraton handle job.

#9 · (Edited)
You must be both retired and on a crusade here. :bier: Instead of using a skewed statistic why don't you cite just how much of the US has such draconian laws. Around here the only thing that's a foul are ballistic knifes. Crocodile Dundee would be welcome carrying his big blade :wave:

Bottom line is enjoy your Endura. It's a fine folder and makes for a great EDC. (I'm partial to the Native myself.) Those of us who feel comfortable with specialized pieces such as the Civilian enjoy our freedom of choice.

There are specialized tools shown here as well:

Original Bladeforum dot com General Forum Moderator. Talonite Pioneer.

#16 ·
Buckles,

Appreciated your post. Anything more on the possible Matriarch sprint run?

As an aside for those afflicted by local laws, Spyderco models with hawkbill blades under 3" include the Tasman and Harpy. In the larger size there is also the Spyderhawk :)

#11 ·
Civilian carry

I do have a civilian but mine is an all metal grip in high polish. Very cool knife. I do not carry it often but love to have it in my collection. My favorite carry blades are my Blade tech MELK, my Boker subcom, and my Zero tolerance ZT 350.

#14 ·
I really like the Spyderco stuff but I can't afford it. I carry a Gerber Easy-out at work and a Kershaw assisted opener in my jeans. I'm not really picky about the brand of knife that I would carry as long as it's made of good steel and will hold an edge.

#41 ·
Same legal limit in the Seattle city limits (3.5" max), but I got one anyway, after watching the James Keating video. I can't carry it around with me on a daily basis, and I'd want to train with it before I did, but...yes, it's a very cool desk knife/toy. I've got a friend who knows a little about SD knives, and his eyes just about bugged out of his head when he saw mine.

#18 ·
I would not consider a blade like this for self defense because you can't stab somebody with it. Now, while you may personally feel that "slashing" (or should I saw "clawing?" is a superior tactic, it seems pretty silly to select a knife that can ONLY slash when you could just as easily get one that can slash AND stab.

When shooting a gun, being able to hit the target is more important than the ammo you hit them with. Same thing goes for a knife. If you can't hit your target because you are fighting and can't get a slashing motion in but you can get a stabbing motion in, but your knife can't stab, well that's a problem with your knife.

Furthermore, the hook-like shape of it might present a problem in the slashing department. If they are wearing clothing (most BG's do wear clothing), then I think the hook shape might make it difficult to follow through. What if your knife hooks onto their clothing and slows down your second slash attempt?

Sharpening that would be a major PITA, but if you never ever use it except when saving your life, I suppose that doesn't matter much -- you can buy a new one after you dull it on someone's rib cage.

#36 ·
Trust me, it's not going the "snag" on anyone's clothing. It's also better to slash than to stab as you have to get close to someone to stab than. The purpose of carrying a knife of defensive purposes is not to get in a knife fight, but to slash and arm a face, a neck whatever and get the hell out of there. There are no winners in a knife fight. Only survivors. Sometimes.
If you can stab, you can slash. Silly analogy.

Just about every defensive knife expert will tell you to slash and get the hell out of there. That's what Spyderco designed this knife for.

You are posting hypotheticals about "snagging on clothes" and such and how you would rather stab. Both those statements are incorrect.
BTW, Lansky makes a sharpener just for that type of serrations, so it's easy to sharpen.

#19 ·
Seems to me that if you want a knife with this general characteristic, you'd be a lot better off getting a kerambit. Either as a folder or as a fixed blade, the kerambit design still allows for stabbing, along with the kind of raking-slashing ability emphasized by the Civilian.

Blade thickness, shape, handle design... This is like the Platypus of knives.

#24 ·
As noted by others, it's a specialized blade design, not a utility knife. I "waved" mine with a Dremel, and it's a lightning-fast folder that slashes more effectively than anything short of a much larger blade. No, it's not a good stabbing weapon, but it offers good defensive capability for someone not well-trained in knife work.

I actually prefer my Benchmade CUDA Maxx 5.5 or my Benchmade Ruckus, but they are both significantly longer and (especially the Ruckus) heavier/bulkier than the Civilian. The Civilian serves nicely as a backup to a concealed handgun.

#26 ·
What people should realize is that it's a specialty tool, not an edc meant primarily for civilians, nor was it designed as such. I've got one myself, and knowing how to use it [ trained with Keating for 9 years in lots of things ], it's strengths and weaknesses, one makes the choice to carry it or not based on mission statement/s.

Put it in the hands of someone who knows it's strengths and weaknesses, it's going to be effective. It's a last ditch tool, not a primary edc tool, nor was it designed to be.

#31 ·
Either the one in the OP's picture is very old, or it's a copy. I'm not sure which.
No counterfeit or copy, mine is a very early model (#C12) with kraton inserts in an aluminum handle. Blade is ATS-55. There may have been a GIN-1 or G-2 bladed version that preceded mine, not sure.

#28 ·
Its a simple slashing weapon .. a 9 inch smooth stick could be used as a trainer if a person simply has to develop some sort of prowess. Most people are not masters in the use of their holdout weapon. When you get to the point that you are looking for sticks and bricks to use as weapons.. a large karambit in your pocket would certainly be welcome.

#30 ·
I have the civilian and the matriarch both. I don't carry either one. They are not real practical as an EDC. I would be required in Colorado to not conceal it and the shape of the blade and intended use would raise a few eyebrows. I bought them as a fun to own collection. My favorite Spydercos are Military, para military, police, Endura, and ultize. I would carry the Ultize all the time if it wasn't above the size limit in Colorado. I can't conceal it either. The perfect EDCs are Benchmade Osborne 940, Centafonte, or para military.

I had someone tell me they had a DPD officer arrest them for carrying a civilian. The DPD officer said it was an illegal blade shape. He said nothing about the length. DA refused to prosecute. They kept the knife. I have no way of verifying the story.

#32 · (Edited)
This thread being nearly five years old reminded me how long I have been owning several of my favorite knives, though I have been carrying Civilians much longer, well before 2004, as that is about when my Tarani Masters Model Karambit became my left front pocket EDC, displacing my by-then well-worn Civi to a deeper carry position. I recently misplaced my Karambit, so my Civi came out of hiding.

Again, I will emphasize that my Civi is neither a utility knife, nor an all-around cut-and-thrust "fighting" blade. I have other knives for that.

#33 ·
The Civi is a huge disappointment

Way overpriced, ($170+) no thumb jimping, bad ergonomics, no provision for the clip for left-handers, a liner on just one side, bird's eye opening.

Positives. Nice blade design and serration design.

This is strictly and SD, not an EDC. It's designed to slash and to extract yourself from the situation.

I live in California and cannot carry a firearm, this is the next best thing, but I was utterly disappointed with it.

Selling it and I currently have a Cold Steel Black Talon II on order. ($100)

Better steel - CTS-XHP vs VG10
Same weight, better ergonomics, thumb jimping, thumb plate opener, provision for moving the clip for left handers, and nearly half the price. Plus it has the superior Tri-Ad lock.
A superior knife in every way.
Blade design is the same used with the permission of Sal Glesser at Spyderco, but has CS style serrations. If it had Spyderco serrations, it would be the perfect SD folder.

Here are the two knives:

Knife Blade Cutting tool Utility knife Hunting knife

Knife Blade Hunting knife Utility knife Tool

#35 ·
So if a thug catches some one with one of those and another smarter thug says hey those were made for uncover feds. You could be in deep do do. I will carry a more common run of mill knife. My self I carry a Cold Steel X2 Voyager 6" blade I can slash and stab easy . Opens with flick of wrist . Its kept sharp and not used for any other chores . I carry a smaller folder for general cutting chores .

Knives are like guns every one has their #1 choice and brand .

#37 ·
I have a CS Vaquero Grandé (6") in VG-1
Problem with both of the knives is lack of a finger groove - if you stab someone and that blade stops suddenly on a rib, your finger will keep going, right on to the edge of the blade.
Another reason why it better to slash than stab.

The Civi is legal in most states and jurisdictions, even if it was designed for the DEA, it was sold to the public and 4" blade is legal in most of the US

http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf

#39 ·
Not my preference of a blade style. If you want a single purpose blade with that profile and function then go to the hardware store and buy a carpet knife. It will be lots less expensive.
:biggrin2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.