A Layman looks at the KA-BAR TDI - Page 2

A Layman looks at the KA-BAR TDI

This is a discussion on A Layman looks at the KA-BAR TDI within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by basher052 Does it give you any trouble when sitting, poking into the old cookie depository? It doesn't poke me, but as I ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Layman looks at the KA-BAR TDI

Quote Originally Posted by basher052 View Post
    Does it give you any trouble when sitting, poking into the old cookie depository?
    It doesn't poke me, but as I look at it now, the blade itself is about 10 o'clock, and the handle points generally toward 1 or 2. I think with this approximation, most could wear it even if they weren't as slim as they'd like to be.

It does contact my skin throughout the day, but it does not bother me nor irritate my skin at all.

If it did poke you in the stomach, I think that could be alleviated by sliding it toward 9 or 3 o'clock, depending on which side you were it. Not necessarily going all the way to 9 or 3, just far enough to where it would ride alongside your stomach rather than poking it.

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    I use the molle straps to attatch the sheath to my belt. It works great, and it's easy tp change the position of the knife.

I personally favor horizontal carry just to the left of my belt buckle for a right hand draw. It's actually How I prefer to grasp a knife in a weapon retention situation, with my left hand.

Try the molle straps available from Ka-Bar. They work great, IMNSHO.

Biker
    Do you mean the "Cordura" straps?

Quote Originally Posted by Gibber View Post
    Do you mean the "Cordura" straps?
    Nylon and Velcro.

Biker

I too (grudgingly) went aftermarket for a sheath to fit the smaller TDI knife. Got a couple of good kydex benders around here, one of them fixed me up. Bonus with his design is that you can use it as a pocket carry as well as on the belt.

The sheaths that come with the bigger TDI models are pretty decent in my opinion. Only trouble with the large knife is printing, so (again, less grudgingly) I went with a different local sheath/holster guy and he made a belt rig with just a bit of handle-forward cant.

The large knife goes along anytime I'm in places the predators come bigger than people. If the Glock 20 don't stop 'em maybe the knife will...hope I don't have to find out.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    Yes.

Sorry I wasn't more clear about that. I find that grasping the knife that way, while doing weapon retention is fast and sets the knife and me up for a move that is natural for me.

I don't have that problem, as I carry the knife in a horizontal position. I do tend to get poked in the cookie repository when the handle of the knife is carried in a vertical position.

Biker
    Biker, you don't HAVE a "cookie repository."
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian D. View Post
    I too (grudgingly) went aftermarket for a sheath to fit the smaller TDI knife. Got a couple of good kydex benders around here, one of them fixed me up. Bonus with his design is that you can use it as a pocket carry as well as on the belt.

The sheaths that come with the bigger TDI models are pretty decent in my opinion. Only trouble with the large knife is printing, so (again, less grudgingly) I went with a different local sheath/holster guy and he made a belt rig with just a bit of handle-forward cant.

The large knife goes along anytime I'm in places the predators come bigger than people. If the Glock 20 don't stop 'em maybe the knife will...hope I don't have to find out.
    Brian & Biker,
    Do you have pics/designs? Both sound like they are worth a try. Tx!
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

Thumbs up lernin

good stuff folks learned some some interesting things with this thread, thanks I'll be back!!
    Last edited by jweiss; July 7th, 2010 at 12:14 AM. Reason: Addition
    "Just because your paranoid doesn't mean their not out to get you !!!" Henry Kissenger as a wise man said to me strive to own one of every type and caliber

Quote Originally Posted by aznav View Post
    Studying the DC forums, I came to realize the tactical importance of having a weak-side knife. If your right arm is injured, incapacitated, or jammed against a wall or car door, your firearm becomes useless.
    Learn to draw and fire your carry gun using only your left hand. It's not fast, but it is a useful tool to have.

I agree it is very important to have a blade that can be deployed quickly to aid in weapon retention. Anyone that grabs my gun in such a way I can't shoot it is gonna get the good news from my knife.

Have you tried the ankle holsters for the TDI? Thats what I've been leaning to buy. Just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KralBlbec View Post
    Have you tried the ankle holsters for the TDI? Thats what I've been leaning to buy. Just haven't gotten around to it yet.
    The problem is that we can wear shorts year round in Tucson. I rarely wear long pants except when I travel. Even work lets us wear shorts.

Quote Originally Posted by aznav View Post
    Brian & Biker,
    Do you have pics/designs? Both sound like they are worth a try. Tx!
    No, sorry, never thought to snap pics of these rigs. But any experienced holster/sheath makers can fix you up with anything you can think of.

SGT
    I also carry the small (original) TDI as my weak side knife. I've found what works best for me is the belt clip reversed and I carry "backward" around 7:30. Although I am a little heavy I can sit for long periods, drive for hours, walk, run, work around the house with little to no problem of it digging into my body.

The straight blade without having to "deploy" a folder is a big advantage should the need arise or if my strong side is damaged.

~SGT

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links