Kershaw Blur S30V thoughts?

This is a discussion on Kershaw Blur S30V thoughts? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking for a good defensive carry knife. I am only looking at spring assisted opening knives, I want it to be very fast comfortable ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kershaw Blur S30V thoughts?

Kershaw Blur S30V thoughts?

I'm looking for a good defensive carry knife. I am only looking at spring assisted opening knives, I want it to be very fast comfortable and easy to open with 1 hand. I want the knife to retain its edge extremely well and also be corrosion resistant (I don't plan on ever sharpening it). It's also important to me that the blade by held very firmly in the open position (no wiggle) and not have any chance of accidentally closing itself during use and cutting my fingers off. It must have a pocket clip. I would prefer it to be black.

So far based on this I'm thinking that the Kershaw Blur S30V might be my best choice. However it sounds like the Kershaw Blur S60V has an even better quality blade, although it's hard to find, I don't like the green color and I'm not sure how I feel about the blems. Are there any other good brands with assisted openers in high quality steel like S60V?
    "In a world of compromise, some don't." -HK

2. Remove Ads

I have the standard Blur (1670BLK)and I can't imaging not ever wanting to sharpen it. Nothing stays sharp forever.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    I have the standard Blur (1670BLK)and I can't imaging not ever wanting to sharpen it. Nothing stays sharp forever.
    The reason I was looking at 30SV steel is because it retains it reputedly holds its edge much better than 440A that is in the older Blur(1670) models. I think the newer 1670's use Sandvik 14C28N which is better but still not as hard as 30SV, and 60SV is harder still. I don't know where to draw the line but surely if something is hard enough, it will dull slower, and may never get significantly dull enough to require sharpening if its not being heavily used. I realize that if I use it a lot, I may still need to sharpen it, but I don't use my knives all that much.

With that said, I just saw a good deal on a lightly used Blur S30V for $55 so I jumped on it. I wouldn't be surprised if I need to sharpen that one off the bat, but the price was too good to pass up!

I have the Blur in s30v I have no issues sharpening in when it needs it I use a Lansky
    RAT RC-3 Don't leave home with out one!

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    S30V, properly hardened, is significantly harder than 440A, even if someone does a decent heat-treat on it, which, if they're stooping to using 440A, they probably didn't.

I find S30V difficult to sharpen, but not impossible. It keeps a slightly toothy edge for a very long time. S60V is even harder to sharpen. It's the carbides in both of the blades- they aid edge retention, which also therefore makes them hard to sharpen comparatively.

I personally would not use an AO knife for self-defense carry, but whatever floats your boat. The Blur is a fine knife.
    Hakkaa päälle!

Cool, thanks for the tip Crockus. I've heard DMT works really well on S30V also. It seems like the folks having sharpening issues with S30V simply aren't using good stones. What angle is best to sharpen S30V?

After reading around a bit I've learned that S60V is more brittle than S30V, lots of people having micro chips which doesn't appeal to me so I'm thinking I would be most happy with the S30V steel anyway.

I do mine at 20 degrees per side. In fact I do all my knives at that angle.
    RAT RC-3 Don't leave home with out one!

Quote Originally Posted by sentioch View Post
    With that said, I just saw a good deal on a lightly used Blur S30V for $55 so I jumped on it. I wouldn't be surprised if I need to sharpen that one off the bat, but the price was too good to pass up!
    Congratulations on the deal!
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    Congratulations on the deal!
    Thanks! I'm totally psyched for it to arrive!

the blur is a good choice. but not sharpening it ever, kinda dumb. IMO if you dont use your knife enough to ever have to sharpen it, you dont need a knife.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckles View Post
    the blur is a good choice. but not sharpening it ever, kinda dumb. IMO if you dont use your knife enough to ever have to sharpen it, you dont need a knife.
    We'll see, it may be my hopes were too high. My current knife got dull in a hurry but it uses 440A steel. I do know how to sharpen and it's not a big issue.

My knife just came in! It's in pretty darn good shape. There's a small knick on the aluminum frame where someone probably dropped it on concrete but it's very minor. The blade on the other hand is duller than a doorknob! I can run my fingers along the edge without it slicing me, instead I feel all the little burs on its edge...I can even see the dull patches with my unassisted eyes. Tried the paper cutting test and it just folds the paper without cutting it, haha. Seller said it was razor sharp which is pretty funny. Guess I'll need to pick up those DMT hones sooner than I thought! Still very happy with the deal since I got it for less than 50% cost.

My knife just came in! It's in pretty darn good shape. There's a small knick on the aluminum frame where someone probably dropped it on concrete but it's very minor. The blade on the other hand is duller than a doorknob! I can run my fingers along the edge without it slicing me, instead I feel all the little burs on its edge...I can even see the dull patches with my unassisted eyes. Tried the paper cutting test and it just folds the paper without cutting it, haha. Seller said it was razor sharp which is pretty funny. Guess I'll need to pick up those DMT hones sooner than I thought! Still very happy with the deal since I got it for less than 50% cost.
    you are going to need diamond rods to sharpen it. i would recommend either the Spyderco Sharpmaker with the dvd, or a Lansky system.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckles View Post
    you are going to need diamond rods to sharpen it. i would recommend either the Spyderco Sharpmaker with the dvd, or a Lansky system.
    The recurve isn't that strong...do you really think it shouldn't be sharpened using DMT hones? I had my eye set on DMT Diafold diamond whetstones (with Magna-Guide for initial practice, which would be eventually phased out once I got good enough). I looked at the Sharpmaker and Lansky and didn't like the look of them as much.

The recurve isn't that strong...do you really think it shouldn't be sharpened using DMT hones? I had my eye set on DMT Diafold diamond whetstones (with Magna-Guide for initial practice, which would be eventually phased out once I got good enough). I looked at the Sharpmaker and Lansky and didn't like the look of them as much.
    S30V is a pretty hard steel. the diamond rods will make sharpening much easier. the sharpmaker is very easy to use, and the instructional dvd is really helpful.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links