Safety of emerson/spyderco wave

This is a discussion on Safety of emerson/spyderco wave within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It seems that these Wave design knives offer the fastest possible draw, but there are two issues I can't really tell from watching the videos. ...

Thread: Safety of emerson/spyderco wave

It seems that these Wave design knives offer the fastest possible draw, but there are two issues I can't really tell from watching the videos. First, I wonder about reliability. Is it reliable and easy enough that you are guaranteed to get the blade out on your first attempt in a high stress scenario? And if you didn't, how fast is it to open manually after that point?

And secondly, or perhaps more importantly, is there any chance of slicing yourself while drawing?
    "In a world of compromise, some don't." -HK

I have a waved delica and an endure. The wave feature is the fasted style of deployed a folding blade knife I have found. That being said, they do require practice to do correctly. For your first question, both of my knives have the nice big spyderco thumbhole, and I losen the blade up a touch usually so I can flick my wrist and open them if I have to. But it is my preferred method for opening a knife. As far as under stress, a fixed blade is preferred, but with a wave the opens when you pull the knife from your pocket, which you have to do with any kind of folder anyways. So if ou think you can get your other folding knife out of your pocket under stress, its the same.

You will have to practice drawing the knife, you may cut yourself a few times building the muscle memory for it. But once you get that muscle memory down, it shouldn't be an issue. Hope that helped.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Try waving the knife with your back up against a wall or laying on the floor. Yes, people have cut themselves, that is why there are trainers available. During the draw you are left with an unstable "pinch grip". Somehow under combat stress you need to wiggle it into a usable grip. When your heart rate is climbing above 180 BPM and the blood is leaving your extremities you will not be able to feel your fingertips. Just like being cold.

When you try to deploy the knife and blade in one move the chance of failing at one or both sky rockets. YMMV- George

i never tried the emerson wave, but i heard the hook is too small so it doesnt catch as well as the spyderco one.

i have the delica wave, and under high stress, i dobut it can get it right, u gotta deploy them fast and at the correct angle. as mercop mentioned back agaisnt the wall i imagen it can be a bad situation.

also...doing it the way the wave was intended to be used isnt 100% for me. i do it in a diffrent direction, and its always 100% ( when not stressed out)
    ---------
    i cant find the video that someone made, but i'll try to explain, i put the clip on the knife for a lefy, and cliped to my right pocket , instead of the right side, its on the far left, and u pinch with ur thumb and index,and pull up and towards the left, and then its out and open, and grasp the rest of the handle, and its in the icepick grip...that works 100% for me...under nomral conditions.

i'd say go fix blade....tethered.

Quote Originally Posted by sentioch View Post
    It seems that these Wave design knives offer the fastest possible draw, but there are two issues I can't really tell from watching the videos. First, I wonder about reliability. Is it reliable and easy enough that you are guaranteed to get the blade out on your first attempt in a high stress scenario? And if you didn't, how fast is it to open manually after that point?
    - As others have mentioned, you definitely should practice your draw. Not every pair of pants has the same pocket and will not catch the wave in the same exact way. I always clip my Wave knives against the back of the pocket. When I draw the knife, I always make sure to pull at a 45 degree angle. If for some reason the knife doesn't fully deploy, you can simply flick your wrist and it will completely open.

And secondly, or perhaps more importantly, is there any chance of slicing yourself while drawing?
    - I wear my CQC-10 against the back of my front pocket. I've opened it hundreds of times and never had a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Pepsi View Post
    i never tried the emerson wave, but i heard the hook is too small so it doesnt catch as well as the spyderco one.
    - I have an Emerson CQC-10, Emerson Combat Karambit and a Spyderco Endura Wave. I haven't noticed a big difference in deployment between them. I do have an easier time drawing the Emerson knives simply because they have G10 scales and are thicker than the Spyderco.

I have Emerson and Spyderco wave knives. With practice you can increase the reliability of the opening but I would never use the word "guaranteed" about any opening especially under stress.

As others have mentioned there are situations where it would be difficult to activate the wave opening but that's true about any means of carry and deployment. You need to train under stress while having a partner attempt to foul the opening and learn to transition to other options.
    Martial Blade Concepts, Jiu-Jitsu & Eskrima NRA, GOA, NYSRPA, LIF, Old Bethpage Rifle & Pistol Club

Quote Originally Posted by mercop View Post
    Try waving the knife with your back up against a wall or laying on the floor. Yes, people have cut themselves, that is why there are trainers available. During the draw you are left with an unstable "pinch grip". Somehow under combat stress you need to wiggle it into a usable grip. When your heart rate is climbing above 180 BPM and the blood is leaving your extremities you will not be able to feel your fingertips. Just like being cold.

When you try to deploy the knife and blade in one move the chance of failing at one or both sky rockets. YMMV- George
    Good stuff for thought as always George. I honestly hadn't thought of trying to deploy while lying down or with my back to a wall, its still do able, but I'm not sure it would be under stress. Thankfully the nice big spyderco thumbhole is pretty easy to use too in such situations. The fact remains that with most tactical folders, you have to get it out of your pocket anyway, so if you can deploy it with the draw, great. If not, its roughly equivalent of using a non-assisted thumbhole/stud style knife. (at least that is how I see it)

I'm still going to stick with if you have to have a knife in a knife fight, then a fixed blade is really the way to go if it is legal to do so in your area. None of these deployment issues to worry about.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

There are actually quite a few issues to work about when deploying a fixed blade. The main one is that the handle is usually above the belt line. So like drawing a pistol you need to move your concealment garment. The higher your elbow goes the more your head comes forward. The other is that depending on the sheath you may need to pop a button or oven a snap or whatever. The Tactical Tether and a mercharness were conceived out of necessity to limit exposure to these fixed blade issue.

In an unknown situation I will take a closed folder in the hand over a fixed blade in a sheath any day of the week. As a matter of fact I would take a stick in my hand over a fixed blade in a sheath. IMHO opinion impact weapons (closed folder/stick) are better for not only dealing with multiple attackers but also allow you to test the dedication of your attackers after a good smash to the back of the hands, collar bone, or face.- George

There are actually quite a few issues to work about when deploying a fixed blade. The main one is that the handle is usually above the belt line. So like drawing a pistol you need to move your concealment garment. The higher your elbow goes the more your head comes forward. The other is that depending on the sheath you may need to pop a button or oven a snap or whatever. The Tactical Tether and a mercharness were conceived out of necessity to limit exposure to these fixed blade issue.

In an unknown situation I will take a closed folder in the hand over a fixed blade in a sheath any day of the week. As a matter of fact I would take a stick in my hand over a fixed blade in a sheath. IMHO opinion impact weapons (closed folder/stick) are better for not only dealing with multiple attackers but also allow you to test the dedication of your attackers after a good smash to the back of the hands, collar bone, or face.- George
    And that is why you make the big bucks training George. My state outlaws concealed fixed blades, so I've only had folders in the civilian world. In the course of my duties I've carried fixed blades, but they didn't need concealing, thus making an easier deployment.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

There you have it.

Great info George. I had a good friend who was a door gunner in Vietnam. He trained for years in the Philippines with stick fighting. He was deadly scary with a pencil.

George, im having trouble getting to your site...is it down?
    Andy
    You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas - David Crockett
    When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Yes it is and I don't know why. You will just have to watch my youtube channel:)

Many an altercation can be stopped with a good stick snipe to the back of the hand breaking some finger.- George

1. Q: you are guaranteed to get the blade out on your first attempt...? A: No

2. Q: is there any chance of slicing yourself while drawing? A: Yes

There are a lot of other things that can go wrong too. But more to the point, having "the fastest possible draw" is not in any way relevant to defensive folding knife techniques.
    A traffic ticket is formal recognition of a lapse in situational awareness.

Sponsored Links