Is it worth sending your Benchmade off to be sharpened?

This is a discussion on Is it worth sending your Benchmade off to be sharpened? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by mynameisFred Invest in a Spyderco Sharpmaker. It's foolproof. And you will find out the meaning of "Scary Sharp" after using it a ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is it worth sending your Benchmade off to be sharpened?

Quote Originally Posted by mynameisFred View Post
    Invest in a Spyderco Sharpmaker. It's foolproof. And you will find out the meaning of "Scary Sharp" after using it a few times.
    Had it, tried it,...PITA!!!

I know many worship that Spyderco set up, but I had a heck of time trying to get the shoulder of the blade honed down! Finally gave up, sold the darn thing to Brownie and took 20 minutes to re-learn how to use a stone on an old pocket knife. Now I keep my Kershaw and my Benchmade nice and sharp!

Should have did that to begin with and saved myself the aggravation of that "foolproof" sharpener.
    You never see a motorcycle parked ouside a psychiatrist's office!

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Prophezine View Post
    Everyday I sharpen all my knives. While I am watching the latest from Nutnfancy gun reviews or some of the other You Tube vids, I sharen knives. Keeping a knife razor sharp is not hard. It does take time to get it to that point in the begining, but once you have it there, a quick daily sharpening is all it takes to shave the hair off your arm sharp. I use the Smith's 2 Step Knife Sharpener. You can get these at Wal-Mart for about $2.50 some places charge up to $5.00 - $7.00. The link I have given charges $3.97. This is one of the best sharpeners out there. I carry a 5.11 folder and I sharpen it every day, even if I used it or not.

Sharpening my knives have become kind of a zen thing for me. I enjoy doing it as I catch up on my You Tube vids. Give it a try. The average You Tube vid is about 10 minutes long, this is perfect time to sharpen a knife.

Ray
    Texas
    Not meaning to flame but isn't that a lot of sharpening for no reason?
    My Ex-Father in law liked to sharpen his kictchen knives. He had several pary (spelling) knives that had 1/4 of the blade ground away.
    He was old school and used a long rat tail file made for sharpening knives, so it's not like he took them out to the bench grinder in the garage.

I would think that a quality knife made to last 20 years would just have it's life shortened by sharpening everyday whether it saw use or not.

I bought a Benchmade automatic. They would not send it back to me since I'm not military or LEO, but they would send it to a dealer. The one I bought the knife from has gone outta business. There is only one dealer in Arkansas that I have found. It's two hours away. I used to be able to sharpen my knives when they had carbon steel blades. I have recently bought a Lansky basic sharpener. My Benchmade needs a diamond sharpener, but I did pickup a Benchmade pull through type sharpener. It works fair. The dearler that sold me the sharpener told me that it would sound really rough at first but to keep using it and it would smooth out as it sharpens the blade better.
    Considering the knife was around $130.00, I kinda take all care of it that I can.
    Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

I sent two back to Benchmade for sharpening, and it was great. They sent them back in about 10 days, packaged in new boxes, cleaned and they looked factory new. The only way I knew they were the same ones was one or two deep nicks in the grip panels that were there previously.

I would highly encourage anyone to send their Benchmade back to the factory. Cheap cost, fast return service, and a cleaning thrown in.

Quote Originally Posted by Fastball View Post
    Had it, tried it,...PITA!!!

I know many worship that Spyderco set up, but I had a heck of time trying to get the shoulder of the blade honed down! Finally gave up, sold the darn thing to Brownie and took 20 minutes to re-learn how to use a stone on an old pocket knife. Now I keep my Kershaw and my Benchmade nice and sharp!

Should have did that to begin with and saved myself the aggravation of that "foolproof" sharpener.
    The Sharpmaker is great for keeping a blade sharp. However, it sounds like you were trying to reprofile the edge. The Sharpmaker is not so good at that unless you get the diamond rods for it, and even then it takes quite a while. I reprofiled my mini-Grip on it, and it took a lot of work (and that was just 154CM steel), but once the angle is set with a sharpmaker, it is very easy to touch up the blade every now and then. It takes me about 20 passes on the medium and then fine rods to get my mini-Grip hair-popping sharp.

Just don't let it get so dull that major sharpening is needed, and the Sharpmaker does an admirable job. That being said, I'm trying to learn convex sharpening and eventually won't need the Sharpmaker. It is really slow going, however.

Quote Originally Posted by halesb View Post
    I sent two back to Benchmade for sharpening, and it was great. They sent them back in about 10 days, packaged in new boxes, cleaned and they looked factory new. The only way I knew they were the same ones was one or two deep nicks in the grip panels that were there previously.
    Benchmade customer service is top notch! I currently have three knives there for LifeSharp service, which will get a good factory edge on them and refurbish any worn washers, screws, etc. One of the knives is an original 710sbt with the ATS-34 blade (11 years old). I also have a mini-AFCK-left hander for a blade swap (last one they have in stock), and hopefully a couple other changes. I have always been happy with their service.

Lansky for me. I have six stones I use. Three for the work and three for the hone. Diamond stones Heavy, Medium and Fine. Blue Sapphire stone, Arkansas stone and a special one specifically for serrated edges such as my spyderco's and other combo edges.
    If you can read this thank a teacher. If it is written in English thank a Marine.

i sent one of my autos in to benchmade to have then resharpen it! six months later i finally got them back and they would not even shave my arm! not long after that i bought my new sharpener and havent looked back!! i dotn like being without my knives that long and for no better of an edge then that i will keep them at home!! later
    The only way to beat Violence, is with Violence!

Thirteen years ago I was given a Benchmade 9050SBK auto as a gift. As a farmer I carried the auto every day and put it though a lot. Everything from using it as an impromptu screw driver to cutting wires and twine on bales of hay. I have really put that knife through its paces and, quite frankly, it is beat to heck. Just for the heck of it I sent it into Benchmade under a program they call Lifesharp in which they will sharpen the blade. About ten days later they sent the knife back in a new box and, when opened, it had been cleaned up and "repaired". The service ticket in the box indicated that Benchmade had REPLACED ALL SPRINGS, PUT IN A NEW THUMB LUG, A NEW BUTTON, A NEW PIVOT, PUT IN ALL NEW SCREWS, CLEANED, ADJUSTED, OILED, SHARPENED, AND SENT A CLIP SET. All for no charge. Pretty doggone good customer service I think!
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

Anyone that owns a knife should know how to sharpen it.

When I was a kid, the first thing I learned to do with a knife is how to sharpen it. Takes a little practice but it becomes second nature. Get decent quality hones. For your really razor sharp blades add a good leather strop. JRE Industries offers leather strops and a strop bat that allows you to have three different compounds for a really polished edges. For the my convex blades I use their Sharpening Block. Take it slow and easy. I can consistently get a hair shaving edge on just about any blade. A good tutorial can be found at Sharpening FAQ
    I have also owned various sharpening systems Lanskey & Gatco. They are OK for re-profiling a blade and quick sharp edges. The very best is the Edge Pro sharpening system. No professional knife sharpeners can produce a sharper more polished edge than what you can do with an Edge Pro. In fact an Edge Pro is what many of the very best professionals use. You can sharpen surgical scalpels with an EdgePro. My kitchen knives slice over ripe tomatoes in mid air, My EDC defensive knives split and feather human hairs. They are job specific and are used for nothing else. My Chive for small precision slicing tasks also has a scalpel sharp edge but my EDC Kershaw Outlaw has a 22 degree polished edge on it as do my bush-craft knives which seems to provide a good compromise between sharpness durability and edge retention.
    An Edge Pro is kind of spendy but if you really like your knives and invest in quality there is not better way to get the most out of your investment.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

I sent my Benchmade mini-Griptillian in for the sharpening service. It cost me about $5 to mail it to them and of course another $5 to have it shipped back. The knife cost close to $100 new for the combo edge (half serrated half straight). The service was great. Not only did the restore the edge to their factory standards, but they also replaced my belt clip (which was originally black but had been scratched and worn) as well as cleaned and oiled the whole knife. As the OP mentioned, they do not sharpen the serrated edge.

But in my opinion, if you want your knife to be restored to near-new condition, send it to the guys that created it. You may know how to sharpen your knife, but you can't get replacement parts for free (screws, belt clip, etc.) on your own. So if you have to send it in to get the new parts, you might as well have it sharpened by the pros too, IMHO.
    SigPro 2340
    Bersa Thunder Plus .380

Distinguished Member Array PAcanis's Avatar
    To the OP; Is it worth it sending it back? Probably compared to sending it to a tinkerer (knife sharpener). Those guys charge big bucks, but will give you back a blade they typically refer to as "scary sharp". As mentioned above, they use several stones, strops, pastes and sharpening a knife is kind of a religious experience to them. That said, yes, you should be able to sharpen your own knife, I do, but it might be nice to send it in for a tuneup every now and then if it gets any real kind of use.

Quote Originally Posted by PAcanis View Post
    T As mentioned above, they use several stones, strops, pastes and sharpening a knife is kind of a religious experience to them.

I resemble that remark. I have a 4 stone DMT diamond set. I threw away the guides and use it free hand. You gotta listen to the blade. When it sings you have the angle right. You can hear it and feel it when it's right. Then there is the rough leather strop with white jewlers rouge, then the smooth leather strop. After all that the hairs on your arm will pop right off with it. You might be a knife freak if you keep a bald spot on your arm from checking blades. I've been accused of carrying a scalpel. I hate stainless blades though. They are a nightmare to sharpen for me. A good blade needs some carbon steel in it.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links