Is it worth sending your Benchmade off to be sharpened?

This is a discussion on Is it worth sending your Benchmade off to be sharpened? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been looking at Benchmade models lately. I'm thinking about getting the Griptillian and using it for an EDC. I noticed that I'm sure you ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it worth sending your Benchmade off to be sharpened?

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar

Is it worth sending your Benchmade off to be sharpened?

I've been looking at Benchmade models lately. I'm thinking about getting the Griptillian and using it for an EDC. I noticed that I'm sure you all know about - the program where they will sharpen your knife for life - you send your knife to them insured along with a check for $5 to have it shipped back and boom - you're done. I'm not putting the program down by any means but I was wondering that even if you never acquired proficiency in sharpening your own knives, wouldn't it just be as easy to find a professional to sharpen your knife by the time you pay to send your knife off with insurance in addition to the $5 you sent along with it for return shipping purposes? I mean how expensive could it cost for a professional to sharpen a tactical knife? Also, I'm wondering if you have a blade that has serrations, if they sharpen that part of the blade as well? I'm thinking I read on their site that they DO NOT sharpen the serrated portion.

Has anyone here had experience with the sharpen for life program from Benchmade? If so, what has been your experience?

Thank you in advance for your comments and for sharing your experiences,

2. Remove Ads

Administrator

I would never send a knife off to be factory resharpened.
    If a person owns and carries a knife then that person absolutely needs to know how to sharpen it.
    Just my personal opinion on that and not meaning to sidetrack your thread.
    These days & even if a body is a total klutz, a knife can be sharpened professionally at home.

I like the Lansky Diamond system but, there are numerous fantastic and foolproof knife sharpening systems available these days.

Even if a person is "all thumbs" and cannot sharpen a blade on a traditional bench or hone stone then the BenchMade Carbide sharpener is excellent alternative.
    It will put a nice working edge on a blade that will shave hair without any fuss and without making your blade look like it has been through the meat grinder.
    You just need to hold the knife straight up and down & pull it through the carbide cutters.

It's a great quick, easy, and very effective field sharpener that will perfectly remake a factory edge.
    They are great. Buy one.
    I keep one in my BUG out bag and always have one with me when I'm in the PA deep woods.
    They are usually all over Ebay with some under different Co. names.

I use something similar to QKShooter....and my blades come out razor-sharp. IMO, if you're going to buy/use a tool, you should know the basics in maintaining it.

Now, if I got knicks in the blade, I would probably utilize the services of a professional knifesmith (is that a word?)....
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Everyday I sharpen all my knives. While I am watching the latest from Nutnfancy gun reviews or some of the other You Tube vids, I sharen knives. Keeping a knife razor sharp is not hard. It does take time to get it to that point in the begining, but once you have it there, a quick daily sharpening is all it takes to shave the hair off your arm sharp. I use the Smith's 2 Step Knife Sharpener. You can get these at Wal-Mart for about $2.50 some places charge up to $5.00 - $7.00. The link I have given charges $3.97. This is one of the best sharpeners out there. I carry a 5.11 folder and I sharpen it every day, even if I used it or not.

Sharpening my knives have become kind of a zen thing for me. I enjoy doing it as I catch up on my You Tube vids. Give it a try. The average You Tube vid is about 10 minutes long, this is perfect time to sharpen a knife.

Ray
    Texas
    Check out my websites....

http://www.prophezine.com

http://survival4christians.blogspot.com/

Μολὼν λαβέ

For those using pull through carbide sharpeners, here's what they do to your edge:

Vs a lansky-type setup

This is one of the sharpeners I use for my EDC blades and keep one in my emergency go bag. It has a carbide sharpener for truing up the edge if it's been chewed up, abused or really dull, and a ceramic sharpener for giving it a razor sharp fine edge. I use the tapered diamond coated rod for touching up the serrated portion of the blade if needed.

Now I'm not a sharpening "guru" or anything like that. All I know is my little Smith sharpener makes my Benchmade Griptillian and other knives razor sharp. They will shave the hair from my arm, slice my fingers open nicely if I slip... ("ouch" had that happen once after using it.) And it'll slice a tomato paper thin.

I usually don't need to use the carbide bit. I just use the ceramic portion to "touch up the blades" as needed.

-Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

The one Bark'n put up is the one I use....and use the ceramic side for the same reason.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Keep in mind that if your knife is worn or could use a "tune up" the will usually replace bushings, screws,or any other boken parts free of charge. Great customer service

Administrator
    I'll need to see how much of a micro photo I can get with my camera and check that for myself.
    Or I do have a microscope that I can blow the dust off of.
    I use both the Lansky & the Carbide pull through and I am not getting any sort of damaged or ragged edge with Carbide.

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    It's worth it if you managed to really mangle the blade, or if you don't have the skills or equipment to sharpen yourself.

Most responders so far seem to be focused on the fact that everyone should know how to sharpen their knives and have a good sharpener. Those things may be true, but the fact is for about $6-8, you can have a good factory edge put on your knife again with a relatively minimal wait.

So yes, it certainly is worth it for some people.
    Hakkaa päälle!

I sent them a Phil Bogusweski(?!?!) Spike automatic with a badly worn and poorly sharpened blade and they replaced the blade for free. That knife was out of production for 10 years and long out of warranty and they still came up with a free new blade for me.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

I would never use one of those pull through type sharpeners. Maybe they're ok for a cheap $5 knife, but for an expensive one no way.

Invest in a Spyderco Sharpmaker. It's foolproof. And you will find out the meaning of "Scary Sharp" after using it a few times.

As far as the O.P. asking about sending your knife off to Benchmade.... they not only sharpen your knife, but give it a complete work-over. Is it worth it? IMO, no. Unless your knife is really beat up and needs a tune up, sharpen it yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    I sent them a Phil Bogusweski(?!?!) Spike automatic with a badly worn and poorly sharpened blade and they replaced the blade for free. That knife was out of production for 10 years and long out of warranty and they still came up with a free new blade for me.
    What an awesome testimony.

Thank you for sharing.

Everyone has made good points. I do agree that everyone should be able to sharpen their own knives. I still may sent it in to Benchmade from time to time for a sharpening and tune up, etc. My dad use to sharpen his knives with a stone and they would shave the hair off of your arm. I think I might get a sharpener and use a stone for practice on my cheap knives until I get good at it.

With a little time and effort, it is not that hard to learn to sharpen your own to any degree of sharpness you like. I touch most of mine up every week, kitchen, carry, etc. I went to a seminar a few years ago and one of the presentations was for a setable angle sharpener. I had my CQC7 and my Buck 426 (Buck lite folding hunter). One of the reps came around taking peoples knives and sharpening them. Reluctantly I handed him mine. He checked them and told me, he could not get them any sharper and handed them back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links