Cold Steel Nightshade knives

This is a discussion on Cold Steel Nightshade knives within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Recently added a Cold Steel Nightshade Bootblade to my collection of neck/boot knives. I didn’t notice any mention of metal content from the manufacturer and ...

Recently added a Cold Steel Nightshade Bootblade to my collection of neck/boot knives. I didn’t notice any mention of metal content from the manufacturer and on some websites it’s even mentioned as being “undetectable”. If this weapon would not activate a metal detector, it opens up a whole new scenario to defensive weapons in prohibited areas. I did a quick search for this brand of knife but didn’t see any discussion on the topic. What’s everyone’s opinion on ankle-sheathing this baby through areas where you wouldn’t otherwise be able to carry, in particular aircraft cabins? It doesn't have a cutting edge but as a striking weapon to soft tissue areas, it is pretty effective.
    I will never forget that I am an American, responsible for my actions, and dedicated to the principles which made my country free. I will trust in my God and in the United States of America.

I think you basically just purchased a training weapon. It offers more realistic training capacity than a rubber knife, but is safer than a live blade. As a weapon, it is of very doubtful utility except for stabbing to an exposed area.

On the other hand, if you tried to enter a secure area of, say, a courthouse or airport and got frisked and caught with it, you'd be prosecuted just as if you had a real knife. Not worth carrying for any reason. A good tool for practice.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

True enough about being prosecuted for carrying a dangerous weapon, they would exagerate its capabilities just so they could throw in a couple of extra charges. I never put much stock in it as an effective cutting weapon, however Cold Steel produces videos showing striking/penetration power through cardboard sheets. Obviously if you had the freedom to choose between a Mossberg, Remington, Glock or a plastic knife, you ain't taking the knife. However, where there are no other choices and you have some knife training, a single strike could effectively incapacitate an individual.
    I will never forget that I am an American, responsible for my actions, and dedicated to the principles which made my country free. I will trust in my God and in the United States of America.

I was given one of the POS from a dealer for use in my edged weapons for LE class. It was in a plastic bag, the point broke off when I used it to cut through it's own bag. CRAP like most of there stuff.- George

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Did you just suggest taking a plastic knife through airport security?

I would think that would be extremely foolish for no detectable gain.

That kind of knife is clearly meant as a covert weapon, and has little use otherwise. And it has little use as a covert weapon, given the utter lack of an effective edge, and the fragility of the blade.

Plus, if caught, what innocent excuse are you going to have for having one taped to your bicep?

I will take any of a wide variety of easily improvised and more effective weapons that are entirely legal to carry on an airplane (cane, umbrella, carabiner, steel or aluminum water bottle (empty), etc.) before I would take a plastic knife like that.
    Hakkaa päälle!

Links