Benchmade 741 Onslaught - Lum Design

This is a discussion on Benchmade 741 Onslaught - Lum Design within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I should be getting my Benchmade 741 SBK sometime this week. Going to be my new EDC. I couldn't find anything here on DC about ...

Thread: Benchmade 741 Onslaught - Lum Design

I should be getting my Benchmade 741 SBK sometime this week. Going to be my new EDC. I couldn't find anything here on DC about the 741, so once it comes in I will post some pics and my thoughts. Haven't handled one yet, but judging by the specs, this thing is a BEAST! Anyone had their hands on one and/or own one?
    "Eternal Vigilance is the Price of Liberty"
    -Wendell Phillips

Men trained in arms from their infancy, and animated by the love of liberty, will afford neither a cheap nor easy conquest.
    -The Declaration of the Continental Congress, July 1775

I own a plain edged one. It really is a beast. It's a scary looking knife. The handle feels really good in the hand - very secure. This knife is a really good slicer. It is also one of the smoothest, easiest opening Benchmade Axis locks I've ever used (and that's a lot).

I'm sure you'll like it.

UPDATE: Benchmade 741 Review and Pictures

Hello All,

This is by far the best folder I have owned. Seriously. It's impression tends to convey the same message as when a shell is racked into a 12 gauge pump. The knife is pretty large, but the ergonomics give me a sense that I am handling something nimble and responsive (largely due to the well sculpted G10 handle IMHO). The weight of it is a non-issue. Pocket carry is easily done without any inkling of that "am I still carrying my 28oz Estwing with me" feeling. The blade is thin, but honestly I think that factor adds to the self defense slicer category. I am also impressed with the precision regarding the blade coating and serrations. Everything about this knife shows great craftsmanship and attention to detail. The blade action is very smooth. Out of the box it could do with a bit of oil on the mechanisms, but nonetheless it is very easy to engage and disengage with one hand. The AXIS locking system is also a plus - the placement of the lock is perfect. Once you begin to develop a muscle memory for the clip/handle/thumb hole/AXIS lock, speed will tend to follow. I highly recommend this knife to anyone looking for a mid to large sized folder that will bring maximum slicing capabilities with a HUGE intimidation factor, after all self defense begins in the psychological realm and (if need be) progresses to the physical realm - the Benchmade 741 Onslaught will deliver in both.
    Attached Images
    "Eternal Vigilance is the Price of Liberty"
    -Wendell Phillips

Men trained in arms from their infancy, and animated by the love of liberty, will afford neither a cheap nor easy conquest.
    -The Declaration of the Continental Congress, July 1775

I had one, and sold it a week later. Way too big
    and I like big folders. It was also very thin. I may pick one up again if I run into a deal.

VIP Member
    Benchmade makes good knives. I haven't been without my AFCK for over 10 years and I'm hard on them.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Great looking knife. It looks like it will be a great EDC. Congratulations on your new purchase.

That looks like a big knife. Nice blade shape but large. We're expecting a report on it when you get it!

Currently I am carrying a Benchmade 950 Rift at work, and it's about the largest I am comfortable carrying. (It has more bulk to it than it looks) I sometimes carry it off duty as an EDC but mostly I still carry my Benchmade Griptillian. I love the Griptillian with the modified sheep foot blade but the damn blade chipped in one place.

My favorite Benchmade, was the old version Stryker without the Nitrous Assist but I lost it. As a matter of fact, I'm getting tired of losing $100 + Benchmade knives (3) but I keep going back to them because they are some of the best production knives on the market. (Finally started using a belt sheath at work instead of clipped in my pocket and haven't lost one since. All the ones I lost were lost at work on duty) Off duty I use the clip in my pocket and have no problems.

Benchmade model 950SBK Rift
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Sponsored Links