Dagger for BUK

This is a discussion on Dagger for BUK within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I would like to obtain information on what the best recommended dagger the folks here can tell me about. It is now legal in GA ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dagger for BUK

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar

Dagger for BUK

I would like to obtain information on what the best recommended dagger the folks here can tell me about.

It is now legal in GA to carry a knife fixed blade or not for self defense. I would like to carry a dagger, double edged straight blade fixed full tang in S30V or 60V steel. My configuration would sometimes be horizontally tethered to my belt behind the small of my back from left to right. Very low key, very hidden, highly and quickly accessible.

Where should I look and what is some recommendations.

Thanks in advance!
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

2. Remove Ads

Gerber has one called the Guardian I believe it is, its rather versatile. Also, I'm a fan of punch daggers, especially as a weak handed option, the Cold Steel safe maker is a decent one of them.

What kind of blade and overall length are you looking for? Price range?

EDIT: some links for ya: http://www.gerbergear.com/index.php/product/id/168
    http://www.coldsteel.com/samase.html
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Im good with 3-6" balde from top of handle to edge of tip. We usually used whatever was issued by navspecwar and I never really paid attention to the quality of the blade plus they don't really train us knife technology anywhere near weapon system technologies and application. Now that Im back to civi life I realize just how much more civilians know about weapons technologies than most in the military.

I would prefer a hardened exotic metal equivalent to S30V or 154C or whatever it is called. Im new to knife metallurgy haha. But these are metals from my limited research that appear to get rave reviews. A knife that can hold its edge and have the ability to punch through many layers of potentially challenging material with ease.

My price range would be 2-300$ish.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Well, that price range puts it out of the stuff us grunts usually see. Although Emerson is know for making amazing knives: Emerson Knives

And I have a friend that had oen of these in Afghanistan:
    Zero Tolerance Fixed blade military boot knife 0150
    It held up to all sorts of crazy abuse rather well, I want one.

Are these alongg the lines of what you are looking for, some kind of "boot knife"?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Personally, I like a little more length. During times of ah, unrest, I carried a MKII.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    Well, that price range puts it out of the stuff us grunts usually see. Although Emerson is know for making amazing knives: Emerson Knives

And I have a friend that had oen of these in Afghanistan:
    Zero Tolerance Fixed blade military boot knife 0150
    It held up to all sorts of crazy abuse rather well, I want one.

Are these alongg the lines of what you are looking for, some kind of "boot knife"?
    Exactly. The emerson is really nice. I would actually end up wrapping the handle in 550 cord for a better grip.

I also like the fact that only USN members can buy it haha! Perfect for me and my service!

There is no information on the build materials in the emerson knives unless im missing something,.

Quote Originally Posted by tangoseal View Post
    There is no information on the build materials in the emerson knives unless im missing something,.
    Titanium is not a usual material for a knife blade. It is not hard like knife steel and will not hold an edge. However, Titanium does possess some outstanding properties that steel does not. Titanium is virtually unbreakable. It is extremely lightweight with a superior strength to weight ratio, that is better than steel. Titanium is inert and virtually impervious to any corrosive medium. It will never rust, ever. It is non-magnetic and will not cause a static spark. Titanium is extremely tough, durable and hard to work with.

In order to turn Titanium into a suitable knife material, Emerson Knives uses a unique and proprietary process. We grind the blades to finish shape and configuration (they must be ground by hand, one at a time). We then bond a layer of tantalum carbide micro- crystals onto the backside of the cutting edge. These crystals are ultra hard and sharp, acting as thousands of tiny saw teeth along the edge. These knives will not shave the hair off of your arm, but they will out cut and out last the steel edge of any knife that exists.
    Apparently Emerson goes with titanium, I learn something new everyday. I think the USN thing is something related to Emerson knives (not necessarily the US Navy), see the box on the right hand side that says USN, if you click it, it takes you so you cn log into something known as "the usual suspects network." FWIW, they have another one listed on the site as "not available" which is called the skull dagger, same design it looks like, might be available elsewhere
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

An interesting one fitting your specs from Benchmade: 220 Details | Benchmade

Not double edged, but I love my Nimravus, one of the best knives I've ever owned. 140 Details | Benchmade

Benchmade's push dagger:
    175 Details | Benchmade

Hope all this gave ya something to consider. If you can deal with a solid single edged knife, look at the Nimravus. It has done everything I asked it too, and kept ticking.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    An interesting one fitting your specs from Benchmade: 220 Details | Benchmade

Not double edged, but I love my Nimravus, one of the best knives I've ever owned. 140 Details | Benchmade

Benchmade's push dagger:
    175 Details | Benchmade

Hope all this gave ya something to consider. If you can deal with a solid single edged knife, look at the Nimravus. It has done everything I asked it too, and kept ticking.
    I was just looking at the 141. What do you think about the steel BM chooses? That USN is a little short now that I think about it and I would never use solid titanium as a knife blade. Unless I want it to break off easily. Tita is so brittle.

I was just looking at the 141. What do you think about the steel BM chooses? That USN is a little short now that I think about it and I would never use solid titanium as a knife blade. Unless I want it to break off easily. Tita is so brittle.
    I have a combo edged 140, that was my constant companion last deployment, it was a good solid blade. It got used for everything. I used it when I cooked food for my squad, it didn't have any problems skinning, cutting meat, or chopping through bone. It got used for all that mundane stuff knives get used for in third world countries, and held up fine. Once ever couple of weeks I would re-sharpen it, but it was getting used everyday for stuff, and I like to keep it really sharp.

The finish did start to wear off some after a couple of month, especially on the side facing away from my body (I had it behind my right hip hanging from a belt). But I just spray painted it coyote, which worked for me over there.

I don't think I would use it to chow through cinder blocks like a ginsu knife, but for SD I trust mine completely.

I'm sure someone who knows more about metallurgy can come tell ya more specific stuff about the blade steel though.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

The Gerber Guardian is very nice. Extremely light with the best sheath I've ever run across - easily adjustable for more/less retention with no tools, and no screws to come out and get lost. When I'm in an area where it's legal/at home, I clip it to a belt loop and carry it horizontally. Works great. Again, awesome sheath.

One thing no one has mentioned yet, is the legality of carrying a double-edge knife - dagger, dirk or whatever else it may be called.

Many states and individual localities specifically ban such knives. One should always check the appropriate statutes before carrying a double-edge knife.

I have had a Gerber Guardian for about 25 years and carried it as a boot knife, but can't since moving to Connecticut because CT bans it both on the double edge and the blade length.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

I also like the fact that only USN members can buy it haha! Perfect for me and my service!
    That's Usual Suspect Network, not United States Navy.

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Exactly. The emerson is really nice. I would actually end up wrapping the handle in 550 cord for a better grip.

USN in that case actually refers to the Usual Suspect Network, a forum that caters heavily towards knives, watches, etc. Good bunch of folks. Ernie Emerson is a big contributor over there, and the forumites there are big Emerson fans.

I suggest the Zero Tolerance 150. It meets all your specs, and it's quite inexpensive. About $100 gets you a pretty decent sheath, S30V blade, and well-machined, grippy G10 handle scales. 3.5" blade.

Hakkaa päälle!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links