What is the best butterfly knife? - Page 2

What is the best butterfly knife?

This is a discussion on What is the best butterfly knife? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ahh.. balisongs, a subject near and dear to my heart. My favorite knives, in fact. If you want the absolute best, you're looking at a ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Ahh.. balisongs, a subject near and dear to my heart. My favorite knives, in fact.

If you want the absolute best, you're looking at a custom, but you're going to pay for it, big time.

Ikoma, Korth, Terry Guinn, Jens Anso, Brian Fellholter, Warren Thomas, are all top notch custom makers.

If you want the best production, you're looking at a benchmade 4X series (41-49), or a Microtech Tachyon. None of these are in production anymore (BM recently discontinued the 42).

As for whats currently in production, for full size it'd be a BM 51, for smaller a 32.

I know the Spyderco Smallfly is still in production, I'm not too sure on the Szabofly.

Good brand of Balisong (Butterfly) would be a benchmade, just harder to find. I have seen them go at gun shows for about 300. Spyder has some beautiful ones not sure on the price. I know some of the guys from Kershaw (Bradley Badging) are making some good knives for around 100, the Kimura knives. (Leaf blade and now a tanto) If you want inexspensive to start off with go with the Mtech twist (I picked one up for 11 dollars) and you can go with Bear and son, they have a beautiful damascus blade one for around 40 (I think).
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    I just heard from a source that Benchmade just put out a new shipment of 42s to go through some spare parts stock. They retail for about $280 and this sounds like the last we'll see of them.

This one :D

I picked up a few Benchmades. There were a couple I had found locally. I see what you mean regarding the feel of the Balisong versus less well made knives. As a teen, I had handled low end die cast knives and poorly designed brass ones. It is amazing that I ever learned how to manipulate them with everything working against me.

The Benchmades are what I had always wanted as a "kid". I enjoy flipping them and doing the things I used to with them. The 32 and 42 are fun, and I should be getting my 51 and second 42 this week.

I will still only carry my SOG as my EDC.
    NRA, Lifetime Member

I had some descent and some knock balisongs when I was younger. I got pretty good with them after much practice. The purpose for these knives was not for quick deployment, but to distract your opponent as you flip the handles around and then attack. I just carry a Spyderco Delica now. They are much faster to deploy. I also got away from using automatics. The large thumb hole in a Spyderco blade is easy to open. It is not as much of a fine motor skill as finding a lock and small button on an auto. JMO.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links