What is the best butterfly knife?

This is a discussion on What is the best butterfly knife? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What is the best Butterfly knife? This is in regards to the construction, workmanship, feel, action, and durability. Where do you recommend buying one?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the best butterfly knife?

What is the best Butterfly knife? This is in regards to the construction, workmanship, feel, action, and durability.

Where do you recommend buying one?
    NRA, Lifetime Member

benchmade

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    I second the Benchmade vote. There are some custom guys who can do better but certainly not with the same bang-to-buck ratio. From what I can see on the BM website, only the 32 and 51 models are still available as BM have recently announced their withdrawal from the balisong game due to the ever-increasing legal issues for their customers.

I would not recommend getting a balisong/butterfly knife because they're illegal, or everyone thinks that they're illegal including local LEOs, just about everywhere. Look up "flip knife" or "gravity knife" in your local laws and you'll probably see them there. Also, they don't deploy any faster (and probably slower for most people) than a modern folder and have a much higher chance of porkchopping the presentation with all of the wrist and hand movement that it entails comp[ared to just flicking your thumb while firmly grasping the knife handle.

They were great for a quick deployment when it was the only option, but now they've largely been rendered obsolete unless it's specifically for FMA training.
    Last edited by psychophipps; July 1st, 2010 at 09:06 PM. Reason: added some stuff

Q: WHY? Are you into learning knife tricks? I've seen better skills at a local Benihana.

(might want to invest in Band-Aids)

Just my 2 cents...
    "Someday someone may kill you with your own gun but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty."

"Leave the gun, take the cannoli."

Benchmade - extremely high quality, well balanced, for a price you can swallow.
    Billy
    Fusion Tact-5 in a Pure Kustom Black-Ops Pro
    Glock 23 in a Barber Leatherworks IWB

I had thought that Balisong was a brand in the 80s. It seems like Benchmade has taken over the market. I would love to have a titanium handle knife. I saw Spyderco and other brands by custom makers but it is hard to trust who makes the best.

I can open a SOG faster than any butterfly knife. I may just stick to SOGs for the durability, balance and design.
    NRA, Lifetime Member

Senior Member Array LoveLeather's Avatar
    http://www.globalgear.com.au/prod668.htm

You are better off getting one of these...everytime you open it right, you can have a beer.

Locked out on a balcony of the Dark Tower...
    I use the Spyderco Spyderfly (balisong) butterfly
    Attached Images
    All Day I Dream About Sigs

Quote Originally Posted by Broken View Post
    I use the Spyderco Spyderfly (balisong) butterfly
    I have a Spyderfly as well, but they no longer make it. A bit big but otherwise a great butterfly.
    Billy
    Fusion Tact-5 in a Pure Kustom Black-Ops Pro
    Glock 23 in a Barber Leatherworks IWB

Back before they were popular - before most people had ever heard of them - you could find lots of quality balisongs for under $50. These are not switchblades - a balisong is very low-tech. It's two handles and a blade. Authentic Philippine versions tend to be quite poorly made and usually require several hundred hours of use to smooth out. There are a few exceptions.

But the Benchmade and Spyderco versions were just ridiculous. The only reason to spend that kind of money on a balisong would be if you knew nothing about them, but thought the name brand meant something. No insult to those who spent over $100 on one of those. They aren't bad and have decent steel.

Probably the best price/quality version you can find easily now is a Jaguar. The Jaguar Classic is a bit heavy, but very solid and can be used to learn the basic handling moves. Shop around and you should be able to find one under $50 no problem. Custom balisongs in the $400-$1000 range are for collectors.

The best way to find a good one is to start hanging out on balisong boards and start learning the makes and prices and jump on a deal when you find one. The $10 Chinese versions are useless. It's a whole world unto itself and takes some study.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Benchmade...hands down.
    "God hears all prayers, even when the answer is No."

Yep, Benchmade is the brand to get.

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    I would say Benchmade, and I prefer the Weehawk-bladed model 42, but the darn things aren't being made anymore, and they've jumped in price nearly to the point where you might as well just order a custom.

The BM51 and its smaller progenitor the BM32 look nice, and they flip very fast, but I prefer having heavier brass or steel handles for the balance.

If you don't mind asymmetrical balisongs, look into the Bradley Mayhem. Benchmade actually makes those knives for that company.

Finding Benchmade balisongs these days takes a little work, and you will pay at least $150, and if you want a full-size (4-5" blade) one, you will pay probably $200-$300.
    Hakkaa päälle!

I've had great luck with Bear... Found them to be smooth... Not well known to most, but I thought it was great quality... and I've owned lots of "crap" knives...!

and the price is right...!

Bear and Son Cutlery
    ::: NRA Law Enforcement Firearms Instructor, Military Veteran, Public Safety Professional :::

Hell if you really want a good one go to the Philippines where it originated and get one there. A single strike will go through a penny without a problem and the tip bending or losing it's edge. . 002 cents.

Hey you asked right? hehehe
    PROGUN

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links