Defensive Carry banner

Tang Soo Do

9K views 60 replies 40 participants last post by  3D 
#1 ·
I am taking Tang Soo Do classes, it's pretty good stuff. A Korean art that borrows from Shotokan karate, taekkyeon, Subak, and Chinese kung fu.

What Martial Arts you y'all use, for fitness and for self defense?

^ Thought this was pretty funny.

See less See more
#15 ·
I failed to mention that I also carry an autographed picture of Chuck Norris.:rofl:

#3 ·
I might be a white belt still in Tang Soo Do, but I'm pretty sure I'm a black belt in Klik Pao. :bier:

I'd love to mix a little firearms in with Martial Arts, being able to draw and shoot while grappling on the ground for example.

#23 ·
I'd love to mix a little firearms in with Martial Arts, being able to draw and shoot while grappling on the ground for example.
We do this regularly in our style. Most of our black belts are CPL holders...

3rd degree Tae Kwon Do, soon to be 4th degree. Training for more than 25 years, teach a class in the Metro Detroit area.

Our style is eclectic, "mixed" martial arts before it was cool. Primarily stand-up, but with good grappling/street defense elements, including modern weapons (for adults).

#6 ·
i have a green belt in Tang Soo do - Sa Gi do , i was in Karate when i was 19 i only stayed in it for a year and half 3 times a week, its a pretty good Martial Arts .

I prefer Japanese Martial Arts over Korea.

i like Aikido and the way of the Bushido

#13 ·
Chinese Kempo Karate (actually a Hawaiian offshoot of Shorinji Kempo from Japan, but Japan still had a bad rap amongst the practicioners when it was named), Goju-Ryu Karate, Small Circle Jujitsu, a bit of Tae Kwon Do to have a class with an ex of mine, some basic Gracie Jujitsu back when it first came out in the US, Wun Hop Kun Do, Emperado Method Kajukenbo, Kempo and Kabuto, and finally Brazilian Jujitsu currently.

A bit of everything except FMA/Silat and Kung Fu, really...

#18 ·
I have trained in martial arts and it is fun, a good work out but I learned much more from my training in dealing with a real street fight.

I once had a co-worker who had trained in Jujutsu for over 10 years tell me he would not want to get in a fight with someone such as myself because he could not predict what I would do. He could predict what a trained fighter would do.

If you are not fighting dirty. You are not winning.

#21 ·
:bier: TKD 1st degree , USAF Security/LE Self Defence course but at 55 + 3 knee surgeries and a bike wreck, black belt(I use it to hold up my pants) in, to steal a line klik pow.:bier:

#22 ·
I've got a couple of brown belts in TKD, dabbled in a bunch of others, currently trying out different schools and styles since I'm 50 and out of shape and practice.

I believe that everyone should have some basic hand to hand training in case you can't get to a gun or other weapon for whatever reason.

#26 ·
I got a black belt in tae kwon do in junior high. Now I just shoot.

#29 ·
I trained in Shorin Ji Ryu for several years (1st deg), and dabbled in Shotokan (blue belt) and Wing Chun.

I used to attend a real Krav Maga class (from an Israel-approved instructor) and that is the only "style" (aside from Shorin Ji Ryu) that I truly felt contributed to practical self-defense. Of course, I would never confuse it with an actual martial art.

I've heard interesting things about the old Russian Systema, but I have no idea if one could even find classes, and if so, whether it would top Krav Maga for practical application.

EDIT - I neglected to mention that I took Capoeira for a while, and it's a great conditioning martial art.

#31 ·
I heard they use a lot of scenarios in Krav Maga. You not only learn self-defense, you also keep yourself fit when doing Krav. I am considering enrolling it someday. Whew!!! It's been 9 yrs. since I ever had formal instruction, although I continue training on my own and with some partners as well as supplementing it with other techniques from other video programs (Sammy Franco's CFA/Hock's CQC/Kelly McCann's CQC). I think it'll be okay since I stay fit with combat conditioning/functional fitness training. And, in a formal training environment, I leave my ego out the door too and prefer to listen and learn.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.