Defensive Carry banner

Tang Soo Do

9K views 60 replies 40 participants last post by  3D 
#1 ·
I am taking Tang Soo Do classes, it's pretty good stuff. A Korean art that borrows from Shotokan karate, taekkyeon, Subak, and Chinese kung fu.

What Martial Arts you y'all use, for fitness and for self defense?

^ Thought this was pretty funny.

See less See more
#33 ·
Traditional chinese kenpo...street fighting at its best. Took Krav Maga back in the 80's, way before it became ''the thing'' here. It is a copy of Chinese Kenpo, which was watered down by Ed Parker and called American Kenpo for commercial purposes.

#34 ·
Krav Maga consisted of combat effective techniques drawn from karate, kickboxing, combatives/streetfighting, and jujitsu. And it is continuing to evolve over the years as the techniques continue to get refined. It may look similar to Chinese Kenpo but it is way much different. Unlike other traditional arts, no katas or any ritualistic bowing, just sparring sessions/practice drills/conditioning training and scenarios. Again, the training curriculum all depends on the school and the instructor. Some Krav Maga is hard core and some is just watered down.

#40 ·
Tang Soo Do Mi Guk Kwan - I think i was in it for 6 or 8 years. Long time ago, but after getting my black belt (midnight blue) I have never had a practical use for it. I learned some good self defense while i was in though.

#41 ·
Then it is street effective. Nothing wrong learning any style, traditional or eclectic, as long as you are keeping realistic for the street. Another thing, do you use fancy techniques? I like it to be simple, pragmatic, practical, and offensive-based.
We learn both the elaborate and the simple. I love headbutts, knees to the groin or rips and hits to the neck :p

#42 ·
Growing old has advantages. It occurred to me after years and large sums of money on hand combat war arts, that it would all be for nothing if hit with one 25cent bullet fired from a cheap gun of an unskilled thug. So now I practice glock-Fu .

#43 ·
It occurred to me after years and large sums of money on hand combat war arts, that it would all be for nothing if
Mistaken reasoning. The practice of martial arts - hard style, soft style, internal style, classical or street combat - is only partially about self-defense. Train hard, train long, and train right and you'll have an advantage over those without training. You won't necessarily win, but if not it won't be because you didn't prepare.

Other components of training can include health, strength, balance, flexibility and mental acuity. Training can provide reflexes to ensure action instead of choking. It can build situational awareness. It can add skill with various weapons. Including firearms.

#45 ·
I started with the World Tang Soo Do Federation in 1983 when I was still in high school. I stayed with it and earned my Cho Dan (1st degree black (midnight blue) belt) in 1987. I got distracted for several years (college, beer, chicks, jobs... the usual :wink:) but got back into martial arts in 1994 with what was then the US Tang Soo Do Moo Duk Kwan Federation, now known as the US Soo Bahk Do Moo Duk Kwan Federation.

When I made the change, I also opted to start over from white belt, mainly due to the length of time that I was out of practice and the difference in technique as taught in the different federations. I worked my way back up to dan level again and advanced to E dan (2nd degree black belt). I have enjoyed my training and it has saved my bacon a time or 3. However, the best benefit by far has been the oppurtunity to meet people who have been life long friends and the added confidence that it has given me on all levels, work, relationships, you name it. I would happily do it all over again.:hand10:

#47 ·
4 years TKD - chang moo quwan style
1.5 years wing sung kung fu

It is amazing what I still know and what happens when I have been approached without knowing someone was there.

I was getting / sitting in my car just after work and my friend comes and shouts "HEY" right in my ear, I did a left handed back fist and as my head was turning to see the target (his nose) I stopped about an inch away.

His face instantly turned white and said he felt the wind on my fist. He then said he is never going to sneak up on me again. That was a few years ago and I have been out of class for at least 15+ years.

Ray
Texas

#48 ·
I took some judo as I child, and Tae Kwan Do in my 20's. Unfortunately, I kept getting injured, so I said to hell with it before advancing very far. Now, in my late 50's, with severe arthritis and spinal stenosis, if I were to try to use any technique such as a round kick, you would time me using a calendar, not a stopwatch. I could win a fight, but only if the BG got bored while waiting for me to complete a move! So, now I only practice Glock fu, with a little XD Jitsu and Beretta su do thrown in.

#49 ·
It's all fine and dandy but what are you gonna do if you are venturing in a place that does not allow concealed carry? Or what if your backup gun fails? Or what if the assailant goes for your gun? Or what if there are lots of people around in an incident and firing a gun would be too risky or impractical? You gotta have a backup plan to fall back on since the gun is not the only salvation to rely on.

#52 ·
It is all good to say guns are superior, but you can't carry everywhere, or your gun may fail or innocents may be too close, etc. So you have to have some sort of hand to hand training to fall back on, or you are no better off in that situation than those who refuse to carry guns. Adrenaline and aggressiveness are good in a HTH situation, but if you don't connect and inflict pain & damage, you are going to be in trouble. If you can't throw punches and kicks, then you need to learn joint locks, etc.

That's not to say all martial arts and MA schools are good for practical self defense. I was a Tae Kwon Do school recently and some of the things they were practicing were worse than useless - no punching to the head in sparring and a handgun disarmament technique that would almost always lead to the gun going while pointed at you.

#54 ·
I'm a black belt in Kenpo Karate. I've been training since 1987. I became an instructor in 1990. Now I teach defensive tactics to the officers in my dept. I also teach firearms. I don't preach one over the other, they compliment each other nicely.

#56 ·
I've got my green belt in TKD Moo Duk Qwon(Blue belt test in Sept. ) we use Kempo for some of our self-defense and my instructor works for DOC at the Oregon State Pen. At 6'2' and 250 lbs it help balance out my power lifting, which my sparring partners wish I would quit... I don't throw hard, just heavy. :D

#58 ·
I took some judo as I child, and Tae Kwan Do in my 20's. Unfortunately, I kept getting injured, so I said to hell with it before advancing very far. Now, in my late 50's, with severe arthritis and spinal stenosis, if I were to try to use any technique such as a round kick, you would time me using a calendar, not a stopwatch.
Some people disagree on this, and that's perfectly OK, but my thinking is that one should start with a hard style to learn striking. As you get older, begin to transition to soft style. Internal arts take longer, but they are no less effective once gained. Correct practice will not cause injury and, in fact, offer health benefits and ensure physical well-being into old age.

The real danger you face isn't from some random psycho attacking you, it's the deterioration of your own body. You want to avoid heart attack, stroke, diabetes. Staying fit and flexible and active will protect your joints and muscles. You can stay well-protected against slips and falls. And regular training will help you survive accidents that would kill or maim the sedentary. Add an art like Chi Na to your repertoire to equalize force.

#60 · (Edited)
I studied TKD, Shotokan, Judo, Jujisti, and I boxed. Sensei got me into full contact Karate, which wasn't a big leap from boxing. Intend on getting into Krav Maga - everything I've seen of it, it's a good extension of full contact Karate. I do 240 reps, heavy weights, squats, shoulder/bench presses, squats, and deal lifts weekly, and 28 miles/260 minutes weekly running. I find my ability to compete in action pistol is enhanced by having better muscle function, and a lot more wind than opponents my age, and younger ones too. Hopefully, that transfers into better physical ability to defend my family and myself. I'll tell you though, at 52, I don't have what I had 15 years ago. Hopefully ruthlessness will supplant my shortcomings.

#61 ·
Wasn't going to respond . . felt like a bragging thing . . . but made me think about all the 'stuff ' I think i've learned along the way, and the many great friends i've 'knocked around' with.

Started 48 yrs ago after 7 member gang jumped best buddy and me - kicked our butts.

Still practice something from one of the arts most days (Aikido, Wing Chung, BaGua, Hshing Yi, T'ai Chi) only now I use a cane instead of a sword.

Two best lessons:
[1] "Don't be there!"
[2] I need to carry a gun. :hand5:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.