Ultimate Ghetto "Tactical Pen" - Modded Zebra F701

This is a discussion on Ultimate Ghetto "Tactical Pen" - Modded Zebra F701 within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was cruising through Wally World yesterday and I saw this great pen for $5.43 on one of the wire racks. I got home, opened ...

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar

I was cruising through Wally World yesterday and I saw this great pen for $5.43 on one of the wire racks. I got home, opened it up and found that the entire shaft is about 1mm thick stainless steel with a decent knurled area for your hands when you write. Just before hopping on here and posting this I scrounged around in the interwebz and saw a link talking about swapping the stock front end cap for the front end cap of a Zebra F402 (about $4-6 from most stores from what I've seen online) for an all-metal pen with a decent barrel diameter for grip, a steel pocket clip, a click-pen design so there is no cap to mess with, and a head and barrel that can take about anything you can dish out. So we're looking at about $12-13 bucks once you toss in tax so far.

One thing that the high-end tactical pens have over these more mundane offerings is the quality of the writing implement inside, right? By most estimations, the Fisher Space Pen seems to make most other tactical pen inserts look like punks. It writes upside down, in the cold, in the heat, on a sweaty thigh...err, you get the point. What if I were to tell you that for the low cost of about $6 you could plug a Fisher Space Pen cartridge right into you new jury-rigged Zebra 701 tactical pen and it works just dandy with a slightly rougher clicking action?

So there you have it. It's rough, it's tough, it writes anywhere, it doesn't have a cap to lose, and it's not even going to raise an eyebrow at the airport...and all for under $20. Operators are standing by!

Locked out on a balcony of the Dark Tower...
    wait...whut?
    All Day I Dream About Sigs

Ink smears in rain
    graphite don't

Quote Originally Posted by psychophipps View Post
    So there you have it. It's rough, it's tough, it writes anywhere, it doesn't have a cap to lose, and it's not even going to raise an eyebrow at the airport...and all for under $20. Operators are standing by!
    So...what's wrong with buying a Fisher pen? Is there somethin I'm missin here?
    Mine's all metal and has most of the qualities that you pointed out. I got my first one for $7, but eventually lost it somewhere (a danger when you use it for pizza delivery)
    I'm hooked now though, I feel lost without it.
    Paid $10 for my current one and didn't have to go ordering parts from all different places.

Quote Originally Posted by Tala View Post
    So...what's wrong with buying a Fisher pen? Is there somethin I'm missin here?
    Mine's all metal and has most of the qualities that you pointed out. I got my first one for $7, but eventually lost it somewhere (a danger when you use it for pizza delivery)
    I'm hooked now though, I feel lost without it.
    Paid $10 for my current one and didn't have to go ordering parts from all different places.
    The cheapest Fisher Space Pen I have ever seen was for $16 and change at a PX in Port Angeles, WA. It was one of the "bullet" models and it came with a Mini-MagLite. It's a great pen, but it's way too small for effective use as a Kubotan, has a cap to worry about, and the pocket clip can just slide right off the end of it which has cost me a couple of them so far.

In fact, I have yet to see a single full-size Fisher Space Pen at any retail location that I have been to now that I think about it...

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    Ink smears in rain
    graphite don't
    Funny, but neither does a Fisher Space Pen. I just soaked a 3x5 card in water and wrote on it without any issues. The ink did smear a bit, but it was a light grey ghosting of a smear similar to rubbing extra graphite around on a page after writing with a pencil.

I was cruising through Wally World yesterday and I saw this great pen for $5.43 on one of the wire racks. I got home, opened it up and found that the entire shaft is about 1mm thick stainless steel with a decent knurled area for your hands when you write. Just before hopping on here and posting this I scrounged around in the interwebz and saw a link talking about swapping the stock front end cap for the front end cap of a Zebra F402 (about $4-6 from most stores from what I've seen online) for an all-metal pen...
    I think I missed something. The 702 is already an "all-metal pen." It doesn't have a cap, metal or otherwise. If you are referring to the tip of the pen that must be removed to replace the refill, that part is metal.

who'd a thunk it?

A thread about a modified tactical pen...
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    who'd a thunk it?

A thread about a modified tactical pen...
    But it's not. It's just a pen. Unmodified, sold at Office Depot. Five bucks and change.

The cheapest Fisher Space Pen I have ever seen was for $16 and change at a PX in Port Angeles, WA. It was one of the "bullet" models and it came with a Mini-MagLite. It's a great pen, but it's way too small for effective use as a Kubotan, has a cap to worry about, and the pocket clip can just slide right off the end of it which has cost me a couple of them so far.

In fact, I have yet to see a single full-size Fisher Space Pen at any retail location that I have been to now that I think about it...
    I've never seen them in retail either, always mail order mine. I originally found them in a Duluth Trading Co catalog coz that's where my hubby gets his jeans.

Here's the one I have. I'll give you that it's a little on the small side though.
    SM4B - Non-Reflective Military Matte Black Cap-O-Matic Space Pen

Seems that the price has gone up - Again. Good thing I bought two last time...all I have to do is not lose them and I can buy refills. bleh

Links