Lefty - Page 2

Lefty

This is a discussion on Lefty within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am left handed as well, and I have carried a knife for year as I am sure many of use have. I have always ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lefty

I am left handed as well, and I have carried a knife for year as I am sure many of use have. I have always carried a "right" handed knife, simply meaning the clip is on the right handside. I clip my knife to my left-hand pocket, with the blade opening to the back. I have never had a problem drawing or opening my knife.

I'm a lefty and my EDCs are mostly Spyderco, Microtech, Kershaw, Benchmade, and Cold Steel. They are lefty friendly in about that order. (new) Spydercos are the best, Cold Steel the worst as most don't have a moveable clip.

In any case it's no big deal to move the clip to where you want it. You can buy replacement clips and drill bits and taps at knifekits dot com or just drill and tap new holes for the original one. I've done that with older model Spydercos or Benchmades and a few Cold Steels.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    My first blade defense instructor, Bram Frank, is a lefty, and last I knew, still carried his knife for right-hand deployment. In his art, Modern Arnis, the non-weapon hand is very important in a fight, and he actually wants his dominant hand to be free of a weapon, all else being equal. Of course, he also teaches ambidextrous use of the blade.

My primary EDC blade is a Tarani Masters Model Karambit, which is fully ambidextrous, carried for left-hand deployment and use. I typically carry a knife of more conventional design that is reach-able by my right hand, but it is often a plain utility knife, not intended as a weapon at all.

FWIW, I am not fully ambidextrous with blades at all. I favor reverse grip with my left hand, and a more conventional forward grip with my right hand. Overall, I can do various knife-related things better with my left than right hand, except that really large knives, in a sabre-type grip, work better in my right hand. Yep, probably dain bramaged at birth...

I'm a lefty and have been carrying a benchmade mini-grip on my strong side for several years - moving the clip takes about 5 minutes.
    The AXIS lock is very easy to use once you get used to it. It's easy to flick open the knive if you need /want to.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexster View Post
    My first blade defense instructor, Bram Frank, is a lefty, and last I knew, still carried his knife for right-hand deployment. In his art, Modern Arnis, the non-weapon hand is very important in a fight, and he actually wants his dominant hand to be free of a weapon, all else being equal. Of course, he also teaches ambidextrous use of the blade.

My primary EDC blade is a Tarani Masters Model Karambit, which is fully ambidextrous, carried for left-hand deployment and use. I typically carry a knife of more conventional design that is reach-able by my right hand, but it is often a plain utility knife, not intended as a weapon at all.

FWIW, I am not fully ambidextrous with blades at all. I favor reverse grip with my left hand, and a more conventional forward grip with my right hand. Overall, I can do various knife-related things better with my left than right hand, except that really large knives, in a sabre-type grip, work better in my right hand. Yep, probably dain bramaged at birth...
    As I was reading this thread I was thinking the parts in bold.

Lo' and behold, Mr. Rexster beat me to it and anything I might have said would pale in comparision to his writing. I will take credit for putting in bold the parts that I thought were especially salient.

I myself carry a Gerber Sting or a Ka-Bar TDK for a reverse draw with my left hand. I've found it works well for me in weapon retention tactics. Your mileage may vary.

Biker

CRKT!!!

I carry a crkt knife. The clip is fully adjustable, able to be attached to either side, tip end or hinge end. I have mine in my left pocket, easily deployed with my left index finger for various tasks. I carry mine tip up, so that when it comes out it is tip down ready to go.
    XDM 9mm
    Crossbreed Supertuck
    SmartCarry

Psalm 144:1 "Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle"

well anyone following this thread might be interested in this. i bought the SOG aegis and just recieved it today. to say the least, im VERY pleased. the clip can be switched around from side to side, but your stuck with tip up, which i prefer. it fits great in my hand and come sharp as a razor. the best part of the entire knife though is the clip. the way it comes up a little higher than the butt of the knife and allows it to be fully concealed in your pocket. im very happy with this choice. i may buy another one for my weak side as well or just EDC.
    "I got a shotgun, a rifle, and a 4 wheel drive, a country boy can survive" - Hank Williams Jr.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links