Lefty

This is a discussion on Lefty within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; im a lefty and need some advice. im looking for a defensive carry knife but its hard for me to do anything with a knife ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lefty

Lefty

im a lefty and need some advice. im looking for a defensive carry knife but its hard for me to do anything with a knife that has a clip on the right hand side. im looking for a good knife, with no more than a 3.5" blade, that i can pull quickly and conceal fairly well. obvisouly im looking for a folder, as i already have a fixed blade i carry on my hip for hunting/bushcraft type things. thanks for any help.
    "I got a shotgun, a rifle, and a 4 wheel drive, a country boy can survive" - Hank Williams Jr.

2. Remove Ads

I'm a southpaw and the first one pictured (from the top) is an auto Boker. Very good quality and fast as lightening for a left hander. The second one is a Ken Onion inspired leek by Kershaw. Customized handles by Sante Fe Stoneworks. It's an assisted opener.

You'll find the Boker to be really lefty friendly. Adapt and overcome!

Lead Moderator
    I just carry weak hand , this makes more sense to me . If my strong hand is pinned or in a gun grab wrestling match I can still use my knife .
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    I just carry weak hand , this makes more sense to me . If my strong hand is pinned or in a gun grab wrestling match I can still use my knife .
    i understand that, however i would still like to find a good lefty knife. although, i like your thinkin' with this.
    "I got a shotgun, a rifle, and a 4 wheel drive, a country boy can survive" - Hank Williams Jr.

Lead Moderator
    My point was (and I didn't come out and say it) was I found it hard to find many knives that would work for me carrying on the left side. Hope your search works better than for me.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Benchmade and Spyderco make a lot of good ambidextrous knives. You can reverse the clip on most of them. I carry an Emerson Combat Karambit for weak side carry and the Wave opening is the fastest deploying folder out there. I would also take a look at the Spyderco Delica or Endura with Wave. You can find a lot of videos on Youtube on its deployment.

If you wanna spend a few (hundred) bucks a Micro tech is a good ambidextrous knife.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911PKR View Post
    If you wanna spend a few (hundred) bucks a Micro tech is a good ambidextrous knife.
    lol, looking a little more in the $50 range..i might have to take rocky's advice and go weak hand....its not looking good..lol

Quote Originally Posted by JaCKaL84 View Post
    lol, looking a little more in the $50 range..i might have to take rocky's advice and go weak hand....its not looking good..lol
    The boker was only about $70. I had a micro tech knock off that worked great and only paid $50 bucks for it. I lost the knife some where and would buy another in a hearbeat if I could find one.

Lots of good options for us lefties and good luck in your search.

I'm a lefty, too. I carry Spyderco folders almost exclusively, but there are a good number of manufacturers that make lots of ambidextrous folders in your size, and price, ranges. Benchmade, Blade-Tech, Cold Steel, CRKT, SOG, and Spyderco, just to name a few.

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    I have a number of lefty friends and they pretty much universally find the Benchmade Axis lock to be one of the lefty-friendliest, if not the lefty-friendliest, folder locks out there. Easy ambidexterous opening while still having a decent blade detent, vault-like lock-up, and top notch materials make Benchmades a great option.

Spyderco makes a great knife but you'll be a bit more limited with them as they tend to focus on frame locks and liner locks that are often not very lefty-friendly. One thing that some of the Spyderco offerings have that Benchmade knives don't is the option of left/right and tip-up/tip-down pocket clip options. This increased versatility means that you will never have to go with "second best" with your carry preference as I found myself having to until I got used to tip-up carry with my Griptilian.

Benchmade and Spyderco make a lot of good ambidextrous knives. You can reverse the clip on most of them.
    Ambidextrous can mean something different to different folks.

For me, having a clip hold the knife on the side of my choosing is what I term 'ambidextrous.' Though, simply due to the shape of the grip on the knife, all of my Spyderco blades are easily usable by either hand, once brought into play. With the Spyderco Native, Delica and others, the hole used by the thumb to extract the blad from the grip is usable by either hand, though the nub on some other manufacturers' designs isn't usable by either hand from either side. So long as the hole is usable by either hand, to me that means its ambi.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I carry a Benchmade 730s Elishewitz that has a reversible clip. It's capable of being carried right or left pocket. I am lefty and carry strong side, and left my knife for weak side carry for the same reason that Rocky did. It's a defensive weapon for when the strong hand is useless or occupied.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

I'm a lefty and have been very happy with Spyderco. I have both a Delica and an Endura. You can reverse the clip to carry left handed, tip up or tip down. Highly recommended.
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

Quote Originally Posted by psychophipps View Post
    I have a number of lefty friends and they pretty much universally find the Benchmade Axis lock to be one of the lefty-friendliest, if not the lefty-friendliest, folder locks out there. Easy ambidexterous opening while still having a decent blade detent, vault-like lock-up, and top notch materials make Benchmades a great option.

Spyderco makes a great knife but you'll be a bit more limited with them as they tend to focus on frame locks and liner locks that are often not very lefty-friendly. One thing that some of the Spyderco offerings have that Benchmade knives don't is the option of left/right and tip-up/tip-down pocket clip options. This increased versatility means that you will never have to go with "second best" with your carry preference as I found myself having to until I got used to tip-up carry with my Griptilian.

Yep, another lefty here and agree 100% with above. Carry a Benchmade Griptilian and love it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links