Collapsible batons - Page 4

Collapsible batons

This is a discussion on Collapsible batons within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just a thought- What about a walking cane? I keep one in my vehicle and one hanging on my headboard. I have found that they ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Collapsible batons

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Just a thought- What about a walking cane?

I keep one in my vehicle and one hanging on my headboard. I have found that they make an excellent SD weapon.

I actually have to use my cane to help me walk from ttt. But, I can also have a fairly formidable defensive weapon should the use of my HG be unwise or not possible.

If you dont plan on carrying it (likely illegal anyway) then don't bother buying an asp. I have some because of my martial arts training but would rather use my ratton fighting sticks or a light baseball bat over the asp at home. Except I have shotgun and pistol for my home protection. An asp is pretty much useless unless u have the training to use it correctly.

If I wanted to use a baton/stick effectively the last place I would turn to would be any training intended for police and security. They are not intended to make people effective with using a baton for SD, but rather teaching you to aim for large muscle groups to limit liability. That is why we see the videos of police clubbing people like harp seals, instead of solving the problem with a good strike to the collar bone, elbow, back of hand, knees, and balls of the ankles. Edged weapons seek flesh, impact weapons seek bone. To stop someone you need to disrupt one of the following systems-

Central Nervous Systems- usually in the way of a head shot, which is deadly force which you better be able to justify
    Circulatory System- penetrating injuries, kind of hard to do with a baton
    Structural System (bone, ligaments, muscles, and tendons) Now we are talking, this is how you get someone's attention fast

Just my $.02- George

In a few words, injure or break stuff so it doesn't work.

I think learning to use one makes you a better overall fighter. I'd rather be proficient in many weapons, than just one. The more dangerous you are, the better off you are. I have 4 different ASPs, but usually prefer the 21" Airweight.
    Suarez International Staff Instructor

"I am not afraid to go unarmed...I simply detest being unarmed. It is a contemptible and undignified condition in which to find oneself."

NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    my $.02.....

there have been some discussions on batons, which kind, good idea to carry, etc...because I posted in them but I don't know which threads they were now
    next, if you're wanting a baton just for the fun of it, then go for it; If you're wanting it to have as a defensive tool inside your home...think about something: if you feel threatened and some dirtbag is IN YOUR HOUSE....its not time to use the least amount of force possible to stop the threat...its time for deadly force a la pistol or shotgun...just my opinion and something to consider
    next, someone mentioned this:
    Attack hard parts (joints, skull, areas of bone close to the skin like shins) with speed and violence.
    Right. If you're going to use a telescoping baton, those are your targets. Fingers, wrist bones, elbows, hips, knees, shins, breastbone, collarbones, anything above the neck.
    ....if you do that then you might as well be shooting them with your pistol/shotgun because hitting with a baton on the places listed in the post is considered deadly force, just something else to consider and revert back to my comment on the SHTF inside your house; we are trained to use the baton on the big meaty areas..inside/outside of thighs, forearms, back of calf....if we INTENTIONALLY strike the areas listed above it is considered deadly force--at least in Texas and a bunch of other places I've heard

as always everyone should check their state and local laws for batons/clubs, etc.....for those in Texas just know you can carry a baton in your car just the same as a gun (like folks w/o CHL do), but not out and about on your person

I have an ASP for work and a personal one that is some cheapy I carry when the wife and I go walking, etc....the ASP is definitely better
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Just for clarification, are you referring to head shots, or are you saying that strikes to the fingers, wrists, elbows, shins and knees are considered lethal force in Texas.

In the home I will forego less than lethal as it is my home I'm defending, as well as those inside of said home.

If one lives in a restrictive environment, such as Australia, where defense with guns is banned and even keeping a baseball bat beside the bed is illegal, I would opt for a Maglight. It's heavy enough to use as a club or baton, but also allows you to seek out what made that bump in the night.

On the street, such as in a vehicle, the Maglight is a common tool that can be used for defensive usage as well. It's also handy for illuminating things you need to illuminate. The primary purpose is as an illumination device, buit it can serve a secondary function as a defensive tool without appearing as threatening to the uneducated, which would include twelve people on a jury.

Biker

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    my $.02.....

....if you do that then you might as well be shooting them with your pistol/shotgun because hitting with a baton on the places listed in the post is considered deadly force, just something else to consider and revert back to my comment on the SHTF inside your house; we are trained to use the baton on the big meaty areas..inside/outside of thighs, forearms, back of calf....if we INTENTIONALLY strike the areas listed above it is considered deadly force--at least in Texas and a bunch of other places I've heard

as always everyone should check their state and local laws for batons/clubs, etc.....for those in Texas just know you can carry a baton in your car just the same as a gun (like folks w/o CHL do), but not out and about on your person

I have an ASP for work and a personal one that is some cheapy I carry when the wife and I go walking, etc....the ASP is definitely better
    Are you sure that this isn't a work policy instead of the law? I have a pretty hard time imagining Texas as being all that mamby-pamby when it comes to bonking folks trying to do you harm. We're talking about the one state in the union where it's Ok to blow holes in people over property, after all.

I prefer a rattan stick over just about everything else because of speed and control. From the stick down at my waist I can snap it (I call it sniping) and catch them under the lip, in the nose, or the side of the eye socket. Their hands will reflexively come up to the source of the pain and thus exposing the rest of their body. You can get pretty good at these snap shots but hanging a tennis ball on a piece of parachute cord. Damn hard to block.- George

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Just for clarification, are you referring to head shots, or are you saying that strikes to the fingers, wrists, elbows, shins and knees are considered lethal force in Texas.
    anything above the neck is considered deadly force, as well as breaking bones since that falls under the definition of serious bodily injury
    I'm not saying that a person shouldn't use a baton/stick/club/flashlight....just the opposite...fill your hand with whatever you got and do whatever it takes to win the fight, but just wanted folks to know what they'd be getting into by using them....make sure they're justified in doing what they're doing, just as they shouldn't use a gun unless deadly force is justified they shouldn't use a baton in the manner described unless justified

Quote Originally Posted by psychophipps
    Are you sure that this isn't a work policy instead of the law? I have a pretty hard time imagining Texas as being all that mamby-pamby when it comes to bonking folks trying to do you harm. We're talking about the one state in the union where it's Ok to blow holes in people over property, after all.
    I'm sure its not just work policy....its state law, reference my above statement since I wasn't clear enough in my first post, apologies
    no mamby-pamby stuff, they trying to do you harm you got the right to use icepick, flashlight, bat, vase, gun, baton, taser to the eyeball, whatever it takes to defend yourself, I just didn't fully explain myself the first time
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

--G.W. McClintock

VIP Member
    I'd love to get one of those sticks and begin learning/practicing that stuff, just to have some more tricks in the bag

by the way....I like your youtube stuff, way cool
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

--G.W. McClintock

I guess it depends on what you're more worried about; dropping the bad guy, or "public perception." If you're going to get all uptight about it, stay home....
    Suarez International Staff Instructor

"I am not afraid to go unarmed...I simply detest being unarmed. It is a contemptible and undignified condition in which to find oneself."

NRA Life Member

I have no problem "dropping" people with a pen, and it does not even have to be a special combat pen:)

Quote Originally Posted by SteveCollins View Post
    I guess it depends on what you're more worried about; dropping the bad guy, or "public perception." If you're going to get all uptight about it, stay home....
    I have no problem "dropping someone" as you put it, but to ignore my agency's use of force policy, or relevant laws, as well as public perception, is foolish at best.

While you may be really good at teaching the jump up and down, run around, and roll in the dirt stuff, I think I'll look elsewhere for the articulation into why I did what I did when I did it stuff. There's two sides to a fight. The first side is the fight itself. The other side is the investigation and possible trial. To not be prepared for both sets one up for a significant life altering moment. We don't just get to cap the badguy and ride into the sunset. If you think that, I know plenty of inmates looking for a cellmate.

Biker

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links