Collapsible batons

This is a discussion on Collapsible batons within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just did a a search and was surprised to see that there has never been a discussion about batons here. I'm looking to get ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Collapsible batons

Collapsible batons

I just did a a search and was surprised to see that there has never been a discussion about batons here.

I'm looking to get a good baton, not for edc but just for in the house. Under the bed type stuff. Any brands that stand out in particular? I couldnt find any mention of them as a "dangerous weapon" in the WA RCW but I didnt do a very thorough search. It doesnt look like there are any state restrictions.

Really i'm just wondering about any 2 cents people might have to throw in the pot.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by KralBlbec View Post
    I just did a a search and was surprised to see that there has never been a discussion about batons here.
    Carrying one around isn't legal in most states. That's most likely why you don't see a lot of threads here on them. IMO, a good defensive knife (and training) is going to serve you a lot better than a baton.

Quote Originally Posted by KralBlbec View Post
    I'm looking to get a good baton, not for edc but just for in the house. Under the bed type stuff. Any brands that stand out in particular? I couldnt find any mention of them as a "dangerous weapon" in the WA RCW but I didnt do a very thorough search. It doesnt look like there are any state restrictions.
    I've played around with ASP batons and they seem to be well made. But I can think of much better weapons for around home defense... like a shotgun. Even a sword is going to be more dangerous than a baton.

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    Carrying one around isn't legal in most states. That's most likely why you don't see a lot of threads here on them.
    Hummmm..... interesting, been carrying one in my work van for years. Sure thought it was legal in Missouri. Mines pretty cheap but, it looks like a good woop ass tool if I had to resort to it. Problem for most people, including myself, if your not trained to use one, it'll end up getting used on you (and that's goin' to leave a mark).

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    Telescoping batons are illegal in most places but you can get rattan sticks and other club-like weapons from various sources. Cold Steel makes a pretty nice rattan replacement Escrima stick. The main thing about sticks, and this applies to any and all melee weapons and unarmed combatives, is that you really need to be willing to hurt the other person as badly as it takes to make them stop. If you're just going to dance around a bit and flail around hoping that they give up then you'll do Ok against some drunk idiot but end up way behind the curve (perhaps lethally so) against a truly determined attacker. You need to get in and take care of business from the outset or don't bother.

Personally I would prefer a sap to a telescoping baton, but I have years with a sap and zlich with a telescoping.
    "Tire checkers" are legal in most places, an escrima stick might be considered a MA weapon.

I suppose my question would be why you would need a baton for defense in your home. If the situation has deteriorated in my home to where I need to defend myself I may want more than a piece of steel or wood. Just my .02.
    A Louisville Slugger in aluminum may fit your needs. Cold Steel makes a short version of one.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    I suppose my question would be why you would need a baton for defense in your home. If the situation has deteriorated in my home to where I need to defend myself I may want more than a piece of steel or wood. Just my .02.
    A Louisville Slugger in aluminum may fit your needs. Cold Steel makes a short version of one.
    For the kids of course!

jk, i live alone. In seriousness I dont really need one. Just looking to diversify and its one more tool to have on hand. Even having one in the car glove box or something. Cant do that with a baseball bat. With defensive gear, it can hurt to have it rather than not, but as a paranoid security freak like most of us, id like to hug that line as close as i legally can.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I've been looking into collapsible batons for a trip I am taking overseas. I can buy them here in AZ but taking them somewhere else is another issue entirely. I train with sticks regularly as part of my martial arts training, and a baton is a stick for that purpose. I will give a hearty +1 to the idea that using a stick or baton needs to be a "go big or go home (in a body bag)" mentality. We say that the attitude of a stick is offensive; in other words, it is not a defensive tool but an offensive tool to make bad guys hurt. Attack hard parts (joints, skull, areas of bone close to the skin like shins) with speed and violence.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

I have just under 10 years of training with escrima, and I have an ASP baton (with formal training that is more or less required here) and a cheap off-brand one. No joke on sticks/batons being an offensive weapon. You have to know where to hit (and where it is legal to do so here) and how to focus your energy to hit them HARD like you mean it. I love training and watching people not use sticks properly until they get angry. If you start throwing flim flam blows all it will do is make the BG more angry, and get more adrenaline pumping with which he can take it from you and beat YOUR ***. Train with it, make sure you can deal with some really up-close-and-personal beatings, because it gets really ugly, really fast.

That being said, I sometimes carry my ASP where I can't carry my firearms, as well as a couple hideaway knives that stay on my person at all times except when in a gov't building. I do not really trust neck knives, but I have a titanium dive knife that I put around my neck while in the shower.

If I were required to choose, I'd take a good knife over a baton any day.
    Semper Paratus

‎"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Distinguished Member Array shockwave's Avatar
    Attack hard parts (joints, skull, areas of bone close to the skin like shins) with speed and violence.
    Right. If you're going to use a telescoping baton, those are your targets. Fingers, wrist bones, elbows, hips, knees, shins, breastbone, collarbones, anything above the neck.

Fighting style is a bit unusual. You don't "swing for the fences" unless it's a finishing blow. The baton is more of a whip. It's heavy at the tip and light in the handle, facilitating the action of leaning in and whacking your target, letting speed do the job. Although I know how to use this weapon, I don't own one. Like a baseball bat, these batons are not balanced weapons, and they aren't reliable for stabbing and thrusting.

For this kind of power, reach, etc., consider a manriki chain.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

ASP or Monadnock...IMO in that order too.

It is a formidable weapon if used properly, but it is also very easy to strip and get your butt beat with. Invest in some training with it. i would have never carried one without proper training by my agency.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I don't think it necessarily has a place in self defense. They're carried as intermediate weapons in LE...in other words when someone is aggressive but can be controlled without the use of deadly force. They fall into the same category as OC spray. As far as SD goes, you never want to engage with someone if you can avoid it, the whole idea is to get away if possible; this is very different from the LE mission, which sometimes requires closing with the suspect.

I think carrying OC spray is a good idea. I can't think of a situation a regular person would need an ASP that would be a good idea. Go take Judo if you want to be prepared to go hand to hand with someone.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911PKR View Post
    Hummmm..... interesting, been carrying one in my work van for years. Sure thought it was legal in Missouri. Mines pretty cheap but, it looks like a good woop a** tool if I had to resort to it. Problem for most people, including myself, if your not trained to use one, it'll end up getting used on you (and that's goin' to leave a mark).
    In Missouri, a collapsible baton is considered to be a "martial arts" implement under the law and is legal statewide. However, there may be local ordinances which may prohibit them, so refer to your local statutes.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    Right. If you're going to use a telescoping baton, those are your targets. Fingers, wrist bones, elbows, hips, knees, shins, breastbone, collarbones, anything above the neck. Fighting style is a bit unusual. You don't "swing for the fences" unless it's a finishing blow. The baton is more of a whip. It's heavy at the tip and light in the handle, facilitating the action of leaning in and whacking your target, letting speed do the job. Although I know how to use this weapon, I don't own one. Like a baseball bat, these batons are not balanced weapons, and they aren't reliable for stabbing and thrusting.

For this kind of power, reach, etc., consider a manriki chain.
    Yeah, especially if you want a lot of legal problems. We were instructed in our collapsable certification class that those are spots not to go for. Anything above the neck? Be sure to stock up on soap on a rope.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

Administrator

Just FYI

Most places are not going to sell or ship you a collapsible baton unless it is either ordered on verifiable LEO Letterhead or you provide documentation of "up to date" baton certification.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links