SOG Knives - Opinions - Page 2

SOG Knives - Opinions

This is a discussion on SOG Knives - Opinions within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by QKShooter They have SOME of my $$ already but, they are not getting any more of it. I mailed back all my ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    They have SOME of my $$ already but, they are not getting any more of it.

I mailed back all my knives and what really blew me away was that though I sent my collection to the company hq's they never responded to a career soldier and fed. Talk about attitude. They use to be the prefered choice of soldiers, and yes they send a few knives overseas, but when it counted they told us where they stood. A tax write off by sending a few extra knives overseas or standing by a loyal employee who was called up. Not ever will my $ grace their products.

As for carry, I will stick with Emerson, MOD or Spyderco. The new Spyderco Delica or Endura with the wave are awsome. I was given one of the "origional limited run" Endura's with the wave feature and carry it daily. Sad to say it replaced my Emerson (which was an origional from long ago) that did not have the wave feature.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

I personally am a fixed blade man. If you have to use a knife why take the risk of the locking mech failing. I have k-bar and sog seal pup. I also have a great buck that is small, strong and very sharp. Good luck!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gunfighter48
    I'm a gun guy that's just getting interested in folders for backup. What's everones opinion on the SOG folders?
    I've got a few folders and my 2 SOG's are excellent knives. I also like the Cold Steel Recon 1 a lot too!

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    It kills me. A company has openly stomped on a service member and some are still considering their praises much less contemplating purchasing their products? Well I guess there we're folks who spit on our vets during the Vietnam era and it feels just the same. I dont care how great their products are anyone who "says" they support the troops should be embarassed to posess the products from a company like that. I guess I'll go wipe the spit off my uniform and keep my values to myself.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fed_wif_a_sig
    It kills me. A company has openly stomped on a service member and some are still considering their praises much less contemplating purchasing their products? Well I guess there we're folks who spit on our vets during the Vietnam era and it feels just the same. I dont care how great their products are anyone who "says" they support the troops should be embarassed to posess the products from a company like that. I guess I'll go wipe the spit off my uniform and keep my values to myself.
    I for one responded to the original post and didn't read everyone elseís responses first. I didnít think this would turn in to a patriotic diatribe!

I AM a USMC Viet Nam Veteran, (68-71), and I personally think your comparison is insulting!

This is the first time I've heard this about SOG. Yeah, I agree it stinks!

And yes, there are plenty of other very good knives out their besides thereís!

I am a Vietnam era vet and SOG isn't the first or last company to screwup on hiring a vet back after they got out of the service. What it tells me is they had a dipsh_t for a personel manager and that ahole should have been fired. I'd hate to tell you how many times I have been mistreated as a Vietnam era vet. It pisses me off too but get over it and get on with your life.

Does that mean that I should never buy one of their knives? I don't think so. If we boycott every company that we precieve has done a seviceman a wrong we won't be purchasing anything. Life goes on and bad things happen to good people. If they persisted in mistreating returning sevicemen in reemployment then yes I would stop purchasing their product.

I don't know all the facts in the case quoted and I've learned a long time ago not to believe everything anyone says on a newsgroup.
    gunfighter 48
    A 45 may not expand but it will never be smaller than .45!!!
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    +1 gunfighter48

Administrator

Question

I agree that it would be interesting to find out if the personnel manager was fired and how SOG really felt about the incident that happened.

Unfortunately instead of holding a news conference or issuing an official written statement about what future SOG Company policy will be...or if there has been a corporate attitudinal shift.

They elected to answer questions with: "NO COMMENT"

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    I agree that it would be interesting to find out if the personnel manager was fired and how SOG really felt about the incident that happened.

Unfortunately instead of holding a news conference or issuing an official written statement about what future SOG Company policy will be...or if there has been a corporate attitudinal shift.

They elected to answer questions with: "NO COMMENT"
    "NO COMMENT" is lawyer speak for shut up before we get sued out of business. Many times the company would like to comment but is told by their legal staff to say "NO COMMENT". This is sometimes a part of a settlement or deal made with the court. Nothing more and nothing less. If we shot 3/4s of the lawyers our country would be much better off!!!
    gunfighter 48
    A 45 may not expand but it will never be smaller than .45!!!
    NRA Life Member

I had a SOG Seal Pup and a Mini Pentagon. I was dissapointed by both of them. The finish wore easily, the serations chipped, both tips bent, and the mini pentagons sheath sucked. I bought them from a major retail so they are not knock offs. And the excessive wear was from normal usage.

I'll stick with my Spydercos from now one. No Spyderco has ever let me down.

I like SOG knives and I have a good relationship with the company. I have spoken with them about this issue and, while I have yet to secure an official statement for public release, I can tell you that the original quoted story does NOT tell the facts as I understand them. This was most certainly not some bizarre case of vet-bashing.

Administrator

Phil

Can you give us the real SOG story as a hypothetical...or a fairy tale or with some creative work~arounds.

A lot of people are NOT buying and refuse to buy SOG due to this incident.

I am one of them.

I sure would not mind buying another Pentagon Elite ll - provided there is something else going on that is different than the official government report of the incident.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I cannot speak for the company and I cannot reveal anything that was said to me privately (as I said, I am trying to get them to create an official statement that I can post), but as I understand it, there were employment issues relevant to the individual in question that had nothing to do with his military service.

I will keep after my SOG rep to see if I can get something more firm. I hate to see a company smeared on the basis of hearsay. I think I posted earlier, in this thread or elsewhere, that the press release or whatever it was that was being quoted as proof of SOG's misbehavior is itself contradictory, which is why I got suspicious and got in touch with the company in the first place.

I love my SOG SealPUP Elite. SOG makes the knife that SEALs use, and that's good enough for me.

There is no way to confirm the story about the soldier who allegedly did not get hired back so why should I place any weight on it?

SOG knives are great, period! You're making a mountain out of a mole hill with the Reservist thing. Somebody in the company made a mistake and now it's solved. I have a Trident II fixed blade hunting knife, and in my opinion, it's as good as a Randall at a fraction of the cost. I also own a Twitch XL. It's a beautifully made assisted-opening folder. Take a close look at any SOG knife and the quality is very apparent.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links