SOG Knives - Opinions

This is a discussion on SOG Knives - Opinions within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm a gun guy that's just getting interested in folders for backup. What's everones opinion on the SOG folders. gunfighter 48 A 45 may not ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SOG Knives - Opinions

Question SOG Knives - Opinions

I'm a gun guy that's just getting interested in folders for backup. What's everones opinion on the SOG folders.

gunfighter 48
    A 45 may not expand but it will never be smaller than .45!!!

2. Remove Ads

I've never heard anything bad about them. My buddy has one and loves it.

I don't have a folding knife from SOG but I do have a seal pup. I don't carry it but I using as my camping knife. I love it. Very sharp and durable. Check out ebay for one. I got mine for about half price of the retail sale.
    Benjamin Franklin once said, "he that would supplant a little liberty for a little safety deserves neither".

SOG are excellent knives for the money and do not get the press they deserve.

Administrator

I have one & I love it.
    Mine is the SOG Pentagon Elite II ~ It is the best, slickest & quickest folder that I ever owned. I took the clip off of mine & tossed it away shortly after my folder arrived & so I could not return it.
    I had another back ordered though & I canceled that order.

WHY would I want to return one & cancel the other...IF it's So Doggone Fantastic??? ~ You Ask ?

Because....SOG recently had an unofficial POX placed on them because they proved to the world that they do not support our troops.

That's why.

Pox??

QK -- I've heard that, too, but have never heard the "whole story" - got a link or want to type for a bit and let me know?
    By the way, I have the same knife you do. Incredible. I'd buy more knives from them but have not due to the pox you mentioned.
    Thanks!

I too have a Pentagon Elite II and just love it. Here it is with my XD 45 - just love it!

As to the "pox" put on SOG for its alleged actions. I came across this several months ago and have never been able to validate the net story. If someone has the real "poop" on what happened I sure haven't been able to find it. Until real, solid, reliable, accurate, and truthful data is available I'm not sure any kind of negative action is warranted. The net is a great place to start rumors.
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

Administrator

Here Is The Story From GOVEXEC.com

Click Here To Read It at the source

or "save a click" & read it here on CombatCarry by scrolling down to: CUTTING A DEAL

LEGAL BRIEFS
    November 11, 2005
    Speaking Out
    By Daniel Pulliam
    dpulliam@govexec.com

The American Civil Liberties Union of Southern California is attempting to block a Homeland Security Department policy that limits federal air marshals' ability to speak publicly about their jobs.

The ACLU maintains that the policy excessively restricts the marshals' rights to free speech and keeps whistleblowers from reporting mismanagement or wrongdoing, putting public safety at risk.

The civil liberties group has filed a motion for a temporary restraining order in the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California Eastern Division as part of a case involving air marshal Frank Terreri. The motion comes in anticipation of a House Judiciary Committee report on management of the Federal Air Marshal Service, which Terreri wants to discuss publicly in his capacity as president of the Federal Law Enforcement Officers Association.

"The policy is unconstitutional and leaves air marshals in the untenable position of not knowing whether they have First Amendment rights to participate in public discussion that could improve the safety of the airline industry," said Peter Eliasberg, a First Amendment rights attorney for the ACLU of Southern California.

Terreri has worked at the Air Marshal Service since January 2002 and was removed from active flight duty and placed on administrative duty after he e-mailed a co-worker with concerns about a profile of an air marshal in People magazine.

Dave Adams, an agency spokesman, said he could not comment on pending litigation or on the policy.

"I don't want to talk about the policy because it's part of the litigation process," Adams said. "We'll let it flow through the courts and see what happens."

According to the ACLU, Federal Air Marshal Service Director Thomas Quinn initiated four investigations of Terreri, including two after he filed a lawsuit against Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff and other officials in April. Terreri returned to active flight duty after filing the lawsuit.

Portions of the ACLU's request for a temporary restraining order were sealed from public view because the release of information about an investigation could result in discipline or criminal action against Terreri, the civil liberties group said.

Cutting a Deal

The Justice Department has reached a settlement with a Lynnwood, Wash.-based knife and tool company accused of breaking a law intended to protect reservists' employment rights.

The complaint alleged that S.O.G. Specialty Knives Inc. violated the 1994 Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act by improperly discharging a Coast Guard reservist when he was called to active duty in January 2003. The complaint also claimed that S.O.G. failed to properly re-employ the reservist in a position of similar status and duties once he returned.

USERRA guards the reemployment rights of military service members or veterans when they return from active duty.

After completing an investigation, the Labor Department's Veterans' Employment and Training Service referred the Coast Guard reservist's complaint to the Justice Department.

The knife company, in a consent decree that must be approved by the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Washington, agreed to compensate the plaintiff an unpublished sum.

"We have a duty to our men and women in the military to enforce vigorously their legal right to be free of employment discrimination on the basis of their military service," said Bradley Schlozman, acting assistant attorney general for the Justice Department's civil rights division. "We are very pleased to see a positive resolution in this case."

Schlozman said the knife company cooperated with the investigation and offered the settlement, but denied any wrongdoing.

S.O.G. Specialty Knives did not return calls requesting comment.

According to the Justice Department, this is the eighth USERRA complaint filed since the civil rights division received enforcement authority for such cases in September 2004.

Senior Member Array Ride4TheBrand's Avatar
    Schlozman said the knife company cooperated with the investigation and offered the settlement, but denied any wrongdoing.

There ya go. Won't even fess up once caught. Worse, that they took the action to begin with shows their lack of support for our military guys n gals.

No $$ from me.
    "We must remember that one man is much
    the same as another, and that he is best
    who is trained in the severest school."
    ~Thucydides, History of the Peloponnesian War

Administrator
    That's the part that really bothers me.
    That they just couldn't say Hey...we're SORRY! & then maybe send a thousand free combat knives over to our fighting troops...That would have been a worthwhile and NICE decent gesture!

Then I would say: "OK...They screwed up...they know they screwed up but, they apologized...Done deal.
    But, instead they have "No Comment" so tahell w/ them.
    They have SOME of my $$ already but, they are not getting any more of it.

Well, I'm a gun guy AND a knife guy. I would suggest something from Kershaw, Benchmade, Spyderco or Buck. I could give you a few good recommendations if I knew more of what you are looking for.

First, do you know the knife laws in your area and what you are allowed to carry? Some areas regulate blade length and such, others do not. Is an Assisted blade legal in your area?

Second, how much do you want to spend; $25, $50, $100, $200 or more?

Third, what size are you considering? Does it need to be relatively thin for concealment or is a larger, chunky knife okay... or something in between? What about blade length? I think 3" to 4" is good for a backup knife but maybe you have other ideas.

Would you like to buy just one great knife that would make you happy or would you like to buy several less expensive knives to learn what you truly like in a knife and at the same time be able to keep one in different locations?

Nick

Hmm.. I also have the SOG Pentagon Elite II and carry it everyday as a work knife. I chip concrete, cut pvc, rope, limbs, scrape parts etc. Pretty much put it through hell everyday. (I work for the city here and cover lots of departments; Water, Sewer, Street, ACO. Off duty it's a Kershaw Leek I picked up LNIB for $15. I say LNIB because the guy selling them boo-boo'd a big order with custom engraving on them w/ a company name, which he mis-spelled the city. He had like 3 dozen that way. (Company gave them out as sales gifts.) Anyway, didn't know about the SOG thing, may have to find a replacement now. Thanks for the info!
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
    -- Ben Franklin, 1759 --

Texas XD Practical Shooters Association

Smile

I bought a SOG Flash II and really like it. It's the first knife I have with a sping assist, nice feature. I also like the lock release on the handle, keeps my finger out of the way when closing the knife.
    gunfighter 48
    A 45 may not expand but it will never be smaller than .45!!!
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    They have SOME of my $$ already but, they are not getting any more of it.

That's how I feel too now. I love my Flash II but that's the last SOG I'll ever own now.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links