Rajah III vs ak47 for EDC

This is a discussion on Rajah III vs ak47 for EDC within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; they both are cold steel , and they cost about the same witch one do you think would be the best for EDC?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rajah III vs ak47 for EDC

Rajah III vs ak47 for EDC

they both are cold steel , and they cost about the same witch one do you think would be the best for EDC?
    Attached Images

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    How do both of them open for you? How do they carry in the pocket? Do the handles support your preferred grips for both utility and defensive purposes? Do you like the lock set-ups on these knives? Is the steel what you're looking for in relation to the probable duties these knives will be performing? Do they balance well and feel "alive" in your hand? How do they feel in the hand when held closed in a hammer grip and used as an impact weapon?

Answer these things before you even think of dropping that kind of scratch on a knife, my friend. You'll be happy you did 30 days from now when you aren't tossing one of these on the shelf and asking us the same question before you have another go...

Quote Originally Posted by psychophipps View Post
    How do both of them open for you? How do they carry in the pocket? Do the handles support your preferred grips for both utility and defensive purposes? Do you like the lock set-ups on these knives? Is the steel what you're looking for in relation to the probable duties these knives will be performing? Do they balance well and feel "alive" in your hand? How do they feel in the hand when held closed in a hammer grip and used as an impact weapon?

Answer these things before you even think of dropping that kind of scratch on a knife, my friend. You'll be happy you did 30 days from now when you aren't tossing one of these on the shelf and asking us the same question before you have another go...
    I cant tell you because I dont own the knives . I just looking for some feedback. do you own one of this knives ?

No, I don't. You definitely want to get your hands on them before you buy. If that's impossible, go to your local gun shop and/or local hardware/outdoors store and see what they have that you can check out for yourself. If you buy a knife online that's "cool" there is a very good chance that you passed up a chance at getting a knife that is both "cool" and "great in my hands".

I cant believe nobody got this knives

They're probably more "show" than "go" for most folks then. If you had put in "Benchmade Griptilian" or "Spyderco Delica/Endura" then they would all but falling over themselves trying to tell you how great those knives are. You put those two knives in your post and it's nothing but crickets.

Indicative perhaps?

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Sounds like psychophipps listed everything that you should consider when looking at your EDC. I completely agree with picking one up in your hands first b4 u buy. I really had reservations about the mini-griptillian until I looked at one in the store last week. It's not as small as I had envisioned & would definitely consider packing one whereas I wouldn't before I actually looked at one.

Quote Originally Posted by psychophipps View Post
    They're probably more "show" than "go" for most folks then. If you had put in "Benchmade Griptilian" or "Spyderco Delica/Endura" then they would all but falling over themselves trying to tell you how great those knives are. You put those two knives in your post and it's nothing but crickets.

Indicative perhaps?
    cold steel make quality knifes just like Spyderco or benchmade . I dont like Spyderco that much anyways

Just because the people here aren't fans of the two Cold Steel products you mentioned doesn't mean that any of us think that CS makes a lousy knife. I've seen CS knives take a licking and keep on ticking over the years.

I have several Benchmades as well as Cold Steel. I believe that the steel on my Benchmades (ATS-34) is a touch harder than my Cold Steel but the construction is very close to the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Back 40 View Post
    I have several Benchmades as well as Cold Steel. I believe that the steel on my Benchmades (ATS-34) is a touch harder than my Cold Steel but the construction is very close to the same.
    where you can find that info at?

alot of the Benchmades will have it listed on the blade. My Benchmade Stryker is listed just below the thumb stud

Cold Steel

you can't go wrong with either one both are pocket openers which are excellent except when you have to pull them out when you are in line at some store or something hahahaha. I have the AK in black G10 and love it. But i carry two knives on duty for both hands and id have to say the AK is always in my left pocket or weak hand side. if someone is tryin to take my gun i can take it out and its already to go and thats an awesome feature that emerson came up with that everyone copies now.
    If you can read this thank a teacher. If it is written in English thank a Marine.

Cold Steel has all different types of metals they use so you can't really compare a manufacturer like Benchmade with Cold steel. Cold Steel has the better bargains and an awesome line and those high dollar over 200 dollar knives made with that San Mai III stuff out of Japan is about the best there is. Checik out Oso Grande knife and tools website.
    If you can read this thank a teacher. If it is written in English thank a Marine.

I own the Rajah I. IMHO it is way too large for EDC. It's a HUGE and heavy six inch curved blade with a massive handle. It's also fairly slow to deploy. I have large hands but cannot consistently deploy the blade to the lock position because the sheer size of it is further than my thumb can reach. You may be able to deploy it quickly using a Wave style deployment against a pocket but learning the motion would trash your clothing and possibly remove a digit or two in the process.

Around here carrying a knife the size of the Rajah would get you a one way trip to the lockup. I keep it under my bed for emergencies only.

For reference, I prefer a blade like the Cold Steel Recon or the Benchmade DejaVoo (both around 4 inches, but practically less than half the size of the Rajah).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links