Need flashlight recommendation - Page 4

Need flashlight recommendation

This is a discussion on Need flashlight recommendation within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Streamlight PT 1L Just got one and I've been carrying it for a couple weeks. Very impressed with it. Around $50....

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Streamlight PT 1L

Just got one and I've been carrying it for a couple weeks. Very impressed with it. Around $50.

SGT
    Bark'n, this is actually my light of choice as well. Fits almost all situations, battery life is excellent, reasonable price point along with all of the features that you mention above. I've been please with the watertight seals holding up well also. The interface with the flashlight is very intuitive and consistent across the line. The LD20 is the unit I carry with me most of the time, but I also carry the smaller LD2 on occasions where weight is of more importance, or during the day when I need more of a utility light rather than a light that can also be used as a backup SD tool.

~SGT

Love the Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    I'm also a SureFire fan 'just because' so I simply decided on size and went from there. Currently, I have the 'Back-Up' and I like it although it's a bit slippery. I would love to try the T1A although it's a tad higher than I can currently justify.
    I have a Nitecore Defender Infinity, I believe it's called. 120 Lumens, Striker bezel and a strobe. I think I paid $90, great light. The bezel was chewing holes through all my pants so I have recently upgraded to the Surefire Titan T1A. Very nice light for EDC! The infinite variability of the lighting is awesome for daily use, but for tactical and SD purposes, the nitecore was far better (tailcap switch). I would recommend either, but there is no way I would have paid the retail $$ for the Titan, I think they are like $250!!

photo.JPG
    Smith & Wesson M&P 9c
    Ruger LCP with CT laser grip
    Emerson Combat Karambit
    Ol' .22LR

SUREFIRE BACK UP cant miss easy to carry with 100Lumens or 5Lumens never leave home with out it!!

Rayman, sick video, I'm sold this will be my next torch for sure, will be a great addition to my Mossi 930SPX love that weapon, a bit small for the .416 lol, but really that video was nasty cool!! Can I get a hook up on that sticker Everything Evil Comes from China? hit me up thanks.....

I have three Fenix PD20 that I don't use much. They only have high or low lumen and strobe. One is slightly used another new in the box unused and the last went belly up after two months with only the hi lumen function still working. The Fenix PD20 battery consumption is huge as an EDC light. Amazing how often you use a flashlight if you have one on you 24/7. I went through about two 123 batteries a month. I am not fond of the need to twist the tail cap to go from low to high lumen with the tail cap controlling only the off on and strobe. So they do not function very well as a weapon light and do not work in my MAKO T-Grips due to the need to twist the tail cap. My older NovaTacs remain my EDC and weapon lights. Battery life is nearly four times as long, all functions are controlled by the tail cap so it works in the T-Grip and simple to operate. Just tap the tail cap for off/on high. medium, low or strobe. From now on I'm sticking with NovaTac. My next ones will be programmable model so I can set the sequence depending on what I am using that particular light for. IMHO dollar for dollar there is no better light than NovaTacs
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

I carry a surefire 6-P LED. The lithum batterries last much longer, and the LED is very tough. As another writer advised their E-2 defender is a great white light and a outstanding impact weapon.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayman View Post
    Streamlight PT 1L

Just got one and I've been carrying it for a couple weeks. Very impressed with it. Around $50.
    I like the PT 2L - same thing but with two batteries, instead of one; 2L: 10/180 lumens, vs 1L: 12/110. Also, the longer body fits my large hand better; YMMV.

Both have lo/high/strobe, and both are around $50.

That said, my EDC is the Streamlight Twin-task 2L. 25 lumen from 3 leds or ~70 from the xenon bulb. Great multi-task light, but I'd prefer the PT2L for defensive situations, so it's my bedstand light.
    Last edited by Xader; November 24th, 2010 at 02:15 PM.

kpw
    Although I have been carrying an Inforce 6V for a while. I still use my old G2 & P6 around the house. My grandson got ahold of the G2 and disassembled it. I never did find the rubber button cover. I called Surefire about buying a replacement. The lady told me they would send me a new tailcap under warranty! A week later, the tailcap came in the mail. Surefire may be a bit pricey compared to some but that kind of service will keep me loyal. The fact that their lights are pretty darn good doesn't hurt either.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by epenergy View Post
    Rayman, sick video, I'm sold this will be my next torch for sure, will be a great addition to my Mossi 930SPX love that weapon, a bit small for the .416 lol, but really that video was nasty cool!! Can I get a hook up on that sticker Everything Evil Comes from China? hit me up thanks.....
    Sorry for the confusion, not my video. Jacked it off youtube. Guess I should've added a disclaimer.

I just got the FenixPD30 and really like the size, power or light and strobe

I have been carrying a Quark 123 Tactical with the S2 head and have been very happy with it!

It has a tail cap button that you can use as a momentary on or click it on till you click it off.

The light has 8 different light modes. You "pre-program" two of these modes. One with the head tight and one with the head loose. Right now I carry the light with the strobe preset for the tightened position and vary the loose head position. Programing is extremely simple and can be done in less than 10 seconds.

This light is very versatile and easy to carry. The lumen rating is through ANSI and is 0.9 - 200. You can use the 0.9 to check pupils
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

Quote Originally Posted by plplayer View Post
    I'm really happy with the O-Light M20s. http://www.tacticalleds.com/LED-Flas...-p8841344.html
    +100 on the Olight M20. easy to use, got all the features you asked for, 320 lumens, strobe, etc. you can get it thru Amazon too. read the reviews on Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by psychophipps View Post
    I see the point, but giving some chap the good news with an 80-lumen light cannon straight to the peepers will also toss their night vision to the curb regardless of whether it's strobing or not. I also tend to flicker my light on anyway by default to make my exact position harder to see in the dark. I will flick the light on to get a quick glimpse of what's around me or coming up and then I turn it off until I see something I want to get a quick look at again like an intersection or the far corner of a room.
    Okay, but...

But have you tried it out on drunk people like I have? (Chief of Security)

OH MAN IS THAT FUN!!!!!!

They completely lose all cognitive thought and one guy had to sit down. He looked like a frog about to get gigged! Extremely effective on intoxicated persons. Very confusing and a sort of "Reset button" emotionally for those who have gotten a little "fired up". You can redirect a conversation that's going bad quite easily after flashing the strobe at an escalating situation to get their attention. It really just sort of "shocks" them into a "Moment of Clarity".

I love my Mag-Lite LED XL100's strobe feature.
    Last edited by EvilMonk; December 17th, 2010 at 02:50 AM.
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Donít mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

I ordered a new Surefire tactical flashlight (Model G2X Tactical in the Polymer body) last night due to finding it on sale for 15% off and free shipping (free shipping can be found on the internet, but this light is only 60 to 90 days old/released and no one sells it below the MSRP price of $55.00... or the MSRP for the 4 new models they have released.

I have another Surefire light that I love and at 80 lumens and the "lifetime guarentee" that Surefire offers... this new light with 200 lumens for less money is a real deal!!! Most on-line retailers are out of stock... but not this one!!!

They come as either metal or Nitrolon/polymer and either as a single output (200 lumen) or dual output (200/15 lumen as a high or low output).

Here is the Surefire link for all the information you could want (they make most of the tactical lights used my the military and most police departments.

Surefire's website and technical specifications:
    http://www.surefire.com/

Here is where I bought my light:
    http://www.lapolicegear.com/

Link to all new Surefire lights:
    http://lapolicegear.ecomm-search.com...og=policestuff

Link to the light I purchased:
    http://www.lapolicegear.com/sug2xtaflnew.html

This is my first order from this company, but I know that a lot of people on some of the forums I frequent like them and their pricing seems to be very good (free shipping on many or all items over $50.00 and no tax of course).

My new light will be here next week, but if you want to take advantage of their 15% discount on all items (use promo code "notime", you have to do so by 12 noonPST on 12/27/10)!!!! The promo is shown on their home page at the top!!!!

For $55.00 less 15% (net price of $46.75 / save $8.25), I am thrilled to have a 200 lumen flashlight made by Surefire!!! I guess LED technology is getting better... as the "runtime" is still at 2+ hours!!!!

They carry other brands as well and maybe sell something else your interested in.... but I just wanted to post that the 15% discount is a BIG DEAL on Surefire branded lights since most places due not "deal" on them... or they inflate the MSRP and show it as "list price"... their list price... and then sell it for what MSRP really is anyways to make it look like it is on sale!!!

Now that is a quality tactical light, by a quality company, at a great price!!!
    Springfield XDM 40cal
    Safariland Double Magazine Duty Pouch
    High Noon "Slide Guard" Holster - Leather (OWB)
    BladeTech "Eclipse" Holster - Kydex (OWB)
    Aker Reinforced Gun Belt (Leather & Polymer)
    Wilderness Tactical/Operator Belt (Kydex Reinforced)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links