Need flashlight recommendation

This is a discussion on Need flashlight recommendation within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I travel all over the US and out. Since I can't take a gun or a knife some places I'm thinking that I should get ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Need flashlight recommendation

I travel all over the US and out. Since I can't take a gun or a knife some places I'm thinking that I should get a flashlight which, as far as I can tell, I can take everywhere.

I'd like to get something that:
    - Easy to strobe
    - Not crazy expensive
    - Works for the wife (I'll get two)
    - Easy to carry on belt, etc.
    - Edges that will do some damage if required
    - (Nice to have but not necessary) Ability to mount on rifle

My current short list is:
    - Surefire ($$)
    - EagleTac
    - Fenix

If Surefire is really that much better, I'll fork out the cash.

Any recommendations?
    We're all in favor of reducing violent crime. It's just that pro-gunners have a method that is proven effective. Anti-gunners don't.
    ---
    John Moses Browning day is January 24th, 2011

Novatac Classic and it runs on AAs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2dNCix44ts

I'm really happy with the O-Light M20s. http://www.tacticalleds.com/LED-Flas...-p8841344.html

Fenix PD-30 with striker bezel.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    Just a quick question for the more knowledgeable folks out there. What is so bees knees about a strobe function for a tactical light? My experiences with them in night clubs just points to them being more of a pain as you get the bright flash lighting them up and then a blank period where they can change direction and you won't see it starting and end up way behind the curve reacting to it. Had my share of collisions on the dance floor because of this.

Mind educating me here?

Quote Originally Posted by psychophipps View Post
    Just a quick question for the more knowledgeable folks out there. What is so bees knees about a strobe function for a tactical light? My experiences with them in night clubs just points to them being more of a pain as you get the bright flash lighting them up and then a blank period where they can change direction and you won't see it starting and end up way behind the curve reacting to it. Had my share of collisions on the dance floor because of this.

Mind educating me here?
    It's all about ruining the night vision. Try flashing your eyes with a bright burst in a semi-dark room and see how long it is before you can see again.

Under the right circumstances it is very effective.
    We're all in favor of reducing violent crime. It's just that pro-gunners have a method that is proven effective. Anti-gunners don't.
    ---
    John Moses Browning day is January 24th, 2011

LMC
    +1 for the PD-30

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Coder View Post
    It's all about ruining the night vision. Try flashing your eyes with a bright burst in a semi-dark room and see how long it is before you can see again.

Under the right circumstances it is very effective.
    I see the point, but giving some chap the good news with an 80-lumen light cannon straight to the peepers will also toss their night vision to the curb regardless of whether it's strobing or not. I also tend to flicker my light on anyway by default to make my exact position harder to see in the dark. I will flick the light on to get a quick glimpse of what's around me or coming up and then I turn it off until I see something I want to get a quick look at again like an intersection or the far corner of a room.

My usual SureFire companion is the L4 LumaMax (120 lumens). I don't go to dances, so the strobe light is a 'no go' for me. I want to keep it simple, and the tail-cap button is all I depend upon.
    Using a strobe in a 'situation' may have an effect on ME.OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I used a strobing light in a minor SD situation and it took the agressor totally out of the fight and kept it from turning into a major SD incident. I'm a big fan now. I use a Solarforce LED that I bought on thefiringline dot com. Super easy to use the strobe under stress. I keep several non strobe Surefires around, most with incandesant bulbs with some obscenely high lumen ratings. My all the time light is a Surefire L1. I keep those everywhere. Car, bedroom, kids diaper bag, etc. My absolute favorite utility light.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

The problem is that without training just a like a pistol or OC Spray people will stand still strobing with the light, instead of taking advantage of the second to move. Tools without training are worthless. Just because I have a roofing hammer does not mean I am a roofer. Also stay away from Strike Bezel's, the best way to turn a legitimate tool into and obvious weapon.- George

For EDC, this AAA keychain light is 115 lumens and the best and brightest I've seen.

Titanium Innovations IlluminaTi CA1 LED Flashlight with Cree XP-G R5 LED

http://www.batteryjunction.com/ti-illuminati-ca1.html

For a larger flashlight with strobe, I'm very happy with the Olight M20 which maxes out at 320 lumens. I got the Special Ops version because of the bezel.

Olight M20S Special Ops S Warrior Tactical LED Flashlight

http://www.batteryjunction.com/oligh...ps-m20-r5.html

BatteryJunction has always had good customer service for me. You can use code summer5 for a 5% discount.

I have been a flashlight and generally a gadget junkie for many years. Flashlights are a vital instrument in EMS work as well and I have had and still have many different ones.

My most recent one, and I am really liking it the more I use it is the Fenix LD20. For years I used flashlights which required the CR123 lithium 3 volt batteries. For this purchase I wanted to go with a flashlight which takes regular AA batteries. So I went with the LD20 and have been very happy with my choice. I go for the Energizer Ultra Lithium batteries which have a 15 year shelf life so I'm not saving much over the CR123's but that's because I want the highest possible performance the light has to offer for use in my professional capacity however the flashlight readily accepts any standard AA battery.

It has 4 brightness levels and 3 modes of operation. First there is low (9 lumens) - med (50 lumens) - hi (105 lumens) and then an SOS mode all by cycling through the clicky switch. Finally if you rotate the bezel of the flashlight clockwise 1/4 turn you activate the turbo mode at (205 lumens). From there a quick click of the button and you get the strobe mode.

When you are in any of the standard illuminations either low - med - hi or the SOS mode, a quick 1/4 twist of the bezel takes you instantly to the 205 lumen turbo mode for instant access to max light output. While at work and on duty, I keep the bezel turned so that whenever I turn the light on, it's always at max output in the turbo mode. Then it's a quick click to strobe if needed.

Off duty while at home I usually keep the light in the regular mode so when I turn it on it starts off in lo (9 lumen) mode and I can click up to a higher output if needed.

The more I use it, the more intuitive it becomes and the more I am liking it. The bezel isn't exactly a strike bezel, but it is scalloped somewhat. It would make a good impact tool and with the length of having two AA batteries, it's long enough to be used as a Kubotan.

One thing I will say, when using regular AA batteries, the lumen output in the different levels, low-med-hi are definitely noticeable. However, if you choose to use the Energizer Ultra Lithium batteries, it seems to be putting out close to max output regardless of which output level it is set on. It's not until you've had several hours of use with them that you start to notice a real difference in lumen output as you scroll through the modes. To me that's not a big issue and I've noticed the same effect when using the Energizer Ultra Lithium's on other flashlights I have with adjustable lumen outputs, so I think its just a matter of the high quality of Energizers new ultra lithium battery.

Btw.. It also comes with a lanyard, a pocket clip, spare "O" rings and a spare rubber on/off switch booty. Very cool. Just put them away so you don't lose them. There are also other accessories like a red or white wand which acts as a diffuser and also signaling or directing traffic at an accident scene.

You can get it here at Fenix Tactical. Or shop around like ebay and maybe find it cheaper.

Nutnfancy's Video Review Below

-Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Cool

I suppose as the name implies I am Old School in regards to the strobe light. That said I carry a Surefire E2D Executive Defender. Light , compact, sturdy pocket clip and very aggressive light bezel and end cap. Just my .02
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

I am a big fan of the quality of the Surefire product and do think they are worth the money. That being said...I bought my brother a Fenix LD20 for a gift for being in my wedding. I was very impressed and wanted to keep it for myself. It meets all of your criteria and was about 32 bucks on Amazon.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links