Ka-Bar. Too Big For EDC?

This is a discussion on Ka-Bar. Too Big For EDC? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was just wondering what everyone thought about a Ka-Bar with a 5-1/4" fixed blade for EDC? Would it be to big? https://www.kabar.com/product/produc...urpose/Utility...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ka-Bar. Too Big For EDC?

Ka-Bar. Too Big For EDC?

I was just wondering what everyone thought about a Ka-Bar with a 5-1/4" fixed blade for EDC? Would it be to big?

https://www.kabar.com/product/produc...urpose/Utility
    Last edited by caubry89; August 5th, 2010 at 11:25 PM. Reason: Add link

2. Remove Ads

People on this forum are knowledgeable, but when it comes to legal matters, I would contact an official from your state.

Pretty bulky for an EDC knife.OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

If you can carry it legally, and comfortably, then no.

Quote Originally Posted by caubry89 View Post
    I was just wondering what everyone thought about a Ka-Bar with a 5-1/4" fixed blade for EDC? Would it be to big?

https://www.kabar.com/product/produc...urpose/Utility
    Probably too big...but not if you're a serial killer.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    If it's legal and suits your needs, then carry it. You decide what your EDC requirements and limitations are, not some random(s) on the interwebz.

I have one of the all black short KaBars I got it I though it would be ok to carry. But I find its abit bulky. I do take it with me when ever I know Ill be in the woods alot or fishing. Then I found out about Esee RC-3 thats what I carry now.
    RAT RC-3 Don't leave home with out one!

I'm not sure what's legal in Ohio, but carrying a large fixed-blade would be an attention-getter here in NoVA except in the field hunting or camping. In the field, I carry a Gerber LMF II in black. However, for EDC, I carry a Spyderco Endura 4 Black Blade with a combination edge in VA or a Delica 4 w/a combination edge if I'm crossing the river to DC or MD. They are high quality folders that aren't that expensive, and they cut like crazy.
    "To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them"
    - George Mason, American Statesman (1725-92)

It can work. So says the guy who has carried a full-sized Fairbairn-Sykes. It's all about how much discomfort/misery/wardrobe changes you're willing to put up with.

The knife you mentioned in your post is really small as compared to the one in this video. haha......he said just kids having fun!! Enjoy!

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Illegal for civilian concealed carry in my state except on my own property, for use in hunting on authorized land, or for military field training on base. In VA, it is also considered a hunting/bowie knife, making it illegal to carry in public. Blade length also makes it illegal for public carry too, which is way over the 4.5 " blade length minimum for the state. If no such laws exist, I'd have no problem carrying it since it's a fine combat knife proven on the battlefields over the years by the USMC and some other units from other branches of the military.

VIP Member
    A serial killer....or gecko45.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

For me personally, a 5.25 inch fixed blade is just too cumbersome an item for me to carry on a daily basis. I barely carry something that large when hunting. My EDC gear is usually 2 guns, a folding knife, spare reloads, a flashlight long enough to work as an impact tool and often times a pocket OC spray. No need or place for a 5 plus inch fixed blade in my daily ensemble. So for me, it would be too big.

For other people, including yourself, you may find something like that works out okay. However, a lot of jurisdictions make carrying concealed fixed blades illegal, so you should check your state knife laws.

I have considered a Ka Bar mini TDI knife, as an additional tool but so far I have not seen a real benefit with everything else I lug around.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

You could do it...barring any legal issues.

I just got a Cold Steel Peace Keeper II. 5.5 blade / 9.75 overall / 5.6oz (7.6oz with sheath).

I will conceal carry on my belt horizontally at the small of my back or strapped to my boot.

I purposely chose that knife because of it low weight. At 7.6oz with sheath, it's a walk in the park to carry.

I carried one in the Marine Corp for years but for EDC I would have to say NO.
    NRA Member
    Certified Firearms Instructor
    Semper Fi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links