SOG Aegis or Spyderco Endura 4

This is a discussion on SOG Aegis or Spyderco Endura 4 within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Looking for a new EDC. Of these two, which would you choose and why? I can get the SOG brand new for $46 delivered and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Looking for a new EDC. Of these two, which would you choose and why? I can get the SOG brand new for $46 delivered and the Spyderco for $60 delivered. Which holds a better edge for normal cutting tasks?

I'm not familiar with the aegis but I currently carry a endura 4 and freaking LOVE it. It's big enough for heavy duty work but small enough for EDC work. Razor sharp. wicked fast to deploy. Plenty light, great lock up etc etc etc. Hands down the best knife i've owned.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    I would go for the Endura because it has a trainer if you decide to get some training down the line. The Endura has been a Spyderco flagship model for 20 years now and that's not because it sucks.

Go Spyderco Endura.

Another vote for Spyderco Endura 4. It's my EDC (FRN Black Blade Combo Edge) and I love it. It holds a great edge yet is easy to sharpen. The AUS-8 steel in the Aegis is a good steel, but is a bit softer than the VG-10 in the Endura, the latter holding its edge better. I also like the one-handed opening of the Spyderco w/o the need for springs w/the SOG. Personal preference thing.
    "To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them"
    - George Mason, American Statesman (1725-92)

Go Spyderco. I have both and the Spydee is the better knife. It holds an edge longer. And just seems to be made better. My SOGs edge seems to chip real easy. And is harder to sharpen. Im a Spydee man from here on out.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

I own an Aegis and a couple of Spyderco's. First, let me say this, Spyderco quality is unsurpassed by any other given the price per value you get.

I really like the Aegis, I like the styling of the blade, its sharp. Though its a softer steel, so it needs sharpening more than the Spyderco's. Assisted opening is quick, not the fastest out there though. It opens smoothly and locks up tight. The gymping (spelling check?) on the blade really locks your thumb down. Over all a nice knife for the price.

My Spyderco's are my favorite though, I just really like the quality of build and quality of steel used on most of their models. Currently own a Centofante III and a Tenacious.
    Kimber Pro-Carry II .45 w/ 230gr Remington Golden Sabers
    Ruger SP101 DAO .357 w/ 125gr Speer Gold Dots

"Try and fail is the manner of losers; try and learn is the way of the strong."

Spyderco hands down.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

My comment will probabaly confuse you more than help but it may not. Carry and get them both. Not sure about that SOG Aegis model but if it has a alternate pocket clip side unlike the Endura you can have one for both your left and right side pocket. I'm a cop and I regularly carry my SOG Flash II on my left side and my Endura or a Cold Steel Extra Large Voyager on my right side.
    The serrated spyder edge of the Spyderco models are unreal nasty sharp but a ***** to sharpen on those rare occasions that you need to sharpen them unlike the either straight edge or combo edges of most SOG Knives, plus my Flash II gets a real sharp edge real quick though the quality on my Flash isn't as good as Japanese steel made in Seki City.
    Last edited by patrol; August 11th, 2010 at 12:08 AM. Reason: added more info
    If you can read this thank a teacher. If it is written in English thank a Marine.

Sounds like the spyderco is they way to go. Unfortunately I can't afford both or I would. So between the endura or centofante which would you choose? Both are the same price.

Quote Originally Posted by cdknox View Post
    sounds like the spyderco is they way to go. Unfortunately i can't afford both or i would. So between the endura or centofante which would you choose? Both are the same price.
    endura.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by Cdknox View Post
    Sounds like the spyderco is they way to go. Unfortunately I can't afford both or I would. So between the endura or centofante which would you choose? Both are the same price.
    Either one. They are both great. If your low on cash also look at the Byrd line from Spyderco. I have a Cara Cara and holy crap that is one sharp knife. It is very similar to the Endura in size and shape. It weighs nothing and carrys great. I love my Spyderco Native and Endura, but for $20 you cant beat the Byrds.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Quote Originally Posted by Cdknox View Post
    Endura without a second thought.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Endura....Like American Express, I NEVER leave home without my Spyderco Endura...JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

I would go with the SOG as a pure personal choice because I just don't like the shape of the Endura blade. It's purely an aesthetic thing with that particular knife. The Endura is no doubt a top of the line excellent blade but I just can't bring myself to buy one because I just don't like the looks of it. Yeah, I know... pretty lame reason, but I would go with the SOG because I don't think you're getting any less of a great knife.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links