3" folding blade - recommendations

This is a discussion on 3" folding blade - recommendations within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In the county I live we are limited to carrying a knife with a 3 inch maximum blade length. What I'm looking for is a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

In the county I live we are limited to carrying a knife with a 3 inch maximum blade length. What I'm looking for is a spring assisted, self defense backup weapon/utility knife, probably with a clip or drop point blade, with a price range of under $100.00.

Recommendations please!!
    The power of the future is in its ability to inspire the present.

Lead Moderator
    SOG and kershaw seem to make decent assisted opening knives. make sure thay are legal in your area though.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I'd recommend anything from cold steel, benchmade, kershaw, sog, gerber, crkt, etc. stuff like that. There are so many options that you have to look at them for yourself. Your choices are endless. Go to ebay or gunbroker and check out what they have. You'll get to see tons of different options.

Ouch... your requirement for assisted openers with a 3" blade useful for self-defense really limits things.

Kershaw makes the best assisted openers by far... unfortunately they are all 3 3/8" blade or longer, except for the G-10 Leek (model 1660G10). I gotta say that of all the Leeks, I like the G-10 the best but the grip does not have any kind of finger choil to prevent your hand from sliding onto the blade if you were to "stab" something. If the handle shape is to your liking, you should be able to get one for around $80. It has a 3" blade.

If you did not require assisted opening, I would recommend a Kershaw Storm... very grippy and a great value (around $30 or so).

The Camillus Sizzle is a good assisted opener but the blade is only 2.5 inches. If the size is acceptable, you can buy one for around $40.

I don't know how much experience you have with knives but I will tell you that you can learn to snap open a manual knife, with a flick of your wrist, just as fast as any assisted opener. Although I grant that this may be more difficult under stress.

Nick

Assistant Administrator
    Re Kershaws - I got a Scallion - because I wanted to lighten my pocket load and only needed something around 2 1/2: blade for most times.

This has no spring assist like my Benchmade but it's light and has the small protruberance at back of blade so as to allow a very fast and easy open. Can be made quite fast with some practice. Does not hold edge quite as well as some but - for size worth a look.

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Administrator
    Just a suggestion that if you do find a knife that you really like & the blade length is say....3 & 3/8 ~ If you're good with your hands & have some basic shop equipment...you could easily shorten & re-profile the blade to bring it to legal carry length.

Have you thought about the Spyderco Delica wave? It's not spring assisted but it's much faster (it's opened when it is out of your pocket), it's 3" and under $50. I owned the Endura version (have since moved on to Emersons) and was amazed at how fast it opens out of the pocket.

I'll second the recomendation for the Spyderco Delica. I've carried waved Spydercos for a couple of years now (a Delica and 2 Enduras) and have been very pleased with them. I've owned many folders from a variety of manufacturers, including some that were assissted-opening. However, after trying the wave, I highly doubt that I'll ever go back.

question: are you allowed to carry a fixed blade or are you limited to folders only? If fixed blades are legal for you, that's definately the way to go.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

here's another vote for the delica. also, if you're not limited to folders, a really good fixed blade under 3" and under $100 is the ryan model plan b from crkt.

I want to thank everyone responding for your insight. I believe I've decided on a Kershaw Ken Onion Avalanche with speed safe. The blade length is 3-1/8" long and I'll resharpen to get the 3" lenght required if it bothers me enough. Thanks again.......Bob
    The power of the future is in its ability to inspire the present.

You'll like the Kershaw's! I have two that I won't give up.
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by koolguynet
    You'll like the Kershaw's! I have two that I won't give up.

I will give you 1,000,000.00 for both of those knives!

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Despite your limitations, I think you've got a lot of good options. Cold Steel, Spyderco, Kershaw's Ken Onions, to name a few.

I carry my Spyderco "Waved" Endura everywhere.
    Train how you Fight
    Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast!
    "Anything you do can get you killed, including nothing." Murphy's Combat Law

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Some questions -> You can legally carry a assisted opener but are limited to a 3" blade ?

Your gonna use it for a utility knife AND (AND !) a self defense backup weapon ? --------

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links