Defensive Carry banner

I broke my EDC! :/ Need a new one...

14K views 34 replies 30 participants last post by  kaboomkaboom 
#1 ·
Hey guys, today is a sad day. Well, not that sad, but disappointing. I broke the pocket clip on my SOG Trident folder and have decided to just replace the knife. I was walking past the front of my Jeep and the pocket clip snagged on the jack I have mounted on the bumper, broke it into three pieces. I've spent part of the morning looking at SOG, Spyderco and CRKT but I'm having trouble deciding. These are a couple I've looked at:

http://www.crkt.com/McGinnis-Notorious-Satin-Blade-Gray-G10-Scales-Razor-Edge-OutBurst-Knife
http://sogknives.com/store/FF-11.html
http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=181
http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=266

Color isn't a big deal to me, I'm not necessarily looking for something to blend in and cool-looking knives are a plus. The Crossbill is an unusual one, you don't see those every day. I'm looking to spend no more than $60 because I'm pretty hard on knives, and I also would prefer a blade at least 3" long. If anyone has any experience with these or has any other suggestions I'm all ears.

#3 ·
The Trident did have a couple things that bugged me so it's an excuse to get a new knife. Originally the little safety latch seemed like a good idea, but it can turn annoying real fast. Like I said, I've beat it all to heck for a couple years, I'm just up for a replacement now.

#6 · (Edited)
A folder is probably best. My company's clients are exclusively banks (IT and networking, not security) and they might not like seeing a fixed blade on my belt. I usually clip in the pocket. My SOG is about a 4 1/4" blade and that's just a bit excessive, I'm looking at 3-3 1/2".

Man, I'm not a fan of Benchmade's website. Over half the knives I looked at under their product search are discontinued once you get to the product page. That's kind of annoying.

Anyone have experience ordering from www.bladehq.com? They seem to have pretty low prices.

#7 ·
Look at the Byrd Cara Cara if you want a little longer blade. I have one I use for EDC and these knives are the best $20 youll ever spend. Ive never had a knife as sharp as this one. It deploys very fast. I also carry a Spyderco Native. The Native is probaly my most favorite, but I dont carry it because I like it so much, dont want to lose it. When you get ready to buy look on E-bay, some great prices on Byrd knives.

#20 ·
HUGE +1 for Cold Steel.

I have carried Cold Steel exclusively for about a decade now. I use it all the time (some might say abuse) and they have NEVER failed. I've carried a RECON 1 Tanto point since they came out and couldn't recommend it highly enough. I liked my Spyderco when I had one but I was always sharpening it. My Cold Steel knives hold an edge over any other knife I've used. The toughest thing I've had to cut was a 3/8 in. steel cable and while it did scape off some of the black on the blade, the edge was none the worse for wear. YMMV

Benchmade and Emerson are good blades, I've just never owned one.

#12 ·
+1 for endura or delica! I LOVE my endura. However if your using it in a professional work environment the smaller delica is probably the way to go.

#13 ·
Both Benchmade and Spyderco have excellent mid-range options (about $100 MSRP). I would suggest finding a local dealer and trying them out before you buy as the handles of each type are suited to different people's wants and requirements. I am a Griptilian fan (especially the 550HG) along with a large group on this board and George (mercop) likes the Endura along with another large chunk of folks on this board. Same goes with the Mini-Griptilians and the Delica (I actually prefer the Delica in this comparison).

You won't be disappointed with either until you handle the one you didn't buy... :wink:

#14 ·
I really havn't found another knife that will compare to the Benchmade auto stryker, I carried it for a year overseas and then back here for a couple years before some slimeball stole it. well worth the money and dont hurt that I live 20 minutes from Benchmade. I have tried, but Alas, I am going to have to spend the money for another one!

#15 ·
I have a Spyderco Native - got it at Wal mart of all places, was less than $40 if I recall. I like that the clip is reversible, you can carry it any way you want. VERY sharp.

#16 ·
At that price point, I recommend my former EDC, a Spyderco Endura 4 black blade with a combo edge. Amazon is selling it for about $60: http://www.amazon.com/Spyderco-Endura-Lightweight-Combination-Knife/dp/B001BC96Q0. VG-10 is great steel and the Endura is a great knife.

I'd personally steer clear of the Chinese SOG. I have a CRKT that someone gave me, and the blade didn't hold up for long. Neither are worth the money to me.

#17 ·
I generally prefer a 3 inch, or slightly shorter blade for EDC... I also very much prefer thumbholes over studs now as well.

I started out with cheapy EDCs like Boker Hyper, Buck Vantage and a few others. Decent enough, but definitely "consumable" in their quality and design, so expect to replace them regularly...I pretty much DEMAND what I buy be American made now as well, which limits some of my choices...

So after much searching and buying I finally settled on a Strider PT that has served me wonderfully. I absolutely love everything about it, it is my ideal EDC that I have been looking for most of my life. Awesome blade shape. They are much smaller and lighter than others likely imagine, but when opened they perform like a much larger knife! If you can afford one I really suggest you take a look at them. I much prefer them to the larger/heavier small Sebenza.

Previous to it I was using an Emerson Mini CQC-7, which was a nice, although heavy EDC knife. It feels like it weighs double the Strider though, and is considerably larger too given similar blade lengths. I didn't really like the thumb disk that much either. Very rugged though, likely a "lifetime" EDC which is what I was/am looking for.

The Benchmade 707 Sequel is another former EDC that I really liked, small, light and an decent blade shape, but it's aluminum handle scratches very easily, and one of the omega springs failed in mine - which was disappointing. Thumb studs also.

If you can legally carry a larger knife, I'd suggest you check out the Strider CC SNG, Emerson CQC-10, or Spyderco Military, all high on my favorites list and options that I carry when I need more of a defensive sized knife.

If your looking for a cheaper recommendation than any of the above, then I'd say Buck Vantage!! Great cheap choice!

I also still have a soft spot for the Benchmade Dejavoo series, even though they have a few issues. Not sure I can recommend them for others though, but if you don't mind tinkering a bit to fix the issues then I give them a thumbs us as well!

#19 ·
When i was looking at for a new edc knife I had my heart set on another endura and after handling a few diffrent knives i picked up a Benchmade 551 grip .try to handel as many diffrent knives as you can and see what fits you the best . I dident realy understand the big hype on benchmade knives untill I bought 1 IMO they r great knives well worth the price

#23 ·
I will say Spyderco too, but Strider is an excellent recommendation if you want to spend the money. I have a SMF that has seen half a decade of hard use and is still very usable. Emerson makes excellent knives also. My main carry knife is a Spyderco Superleaf and it holds up like a champ.

#24 ·
I vote for any Spyderco. I own several and I just love them. My EDC is a Spyderco Military in digital camo and with a plain edge blade. It is UNBELIEVABLY sharp!!!

#26 ·
I also recommend the Spyderco Tenacious which is a great EDC for cheap ($25.00) if you wanna beat the crap out of it. Another more expensive and high quality option is the Spyderco Paramilitary 2.

Spyderco Paramilitary 2

• Length Overall: 8 9/32" (210 mm)
  • Blade Length: 3 7/16" (87mm)
  • Blade Steel: CPM-S30V
  • Handle Material: G10
  • Length Closed: 4 13/16" (122mm)
  • Blade Thickness: 9/64" (3.5mm)
  • Cutting Edge: 3 5/64" (78 mm)
  • Weight: 3.75 oz. (106g)

#27 ·
I LOVE my Kershaw Blurr tactical black tanto. I have been carrying one for a few years and can't say enough good about it. I went ahead and got another when I thought I lost my first. Now I have a back up when I actually do. It is slim, super fast, sharp, and the clip is reversible so I can carry it with the point up (a must for me as it is much faster to deploy).

#28 ·
Hey guys, today is a sad day. Well, not that sad, but disappointing. I broke the pocket clip on my SOG Trident folder and have decided to just replace the knife. I was walking past the front of my Jeep and the pocket clip snagged on the jack I have mounted on the bumper, broke it into three pieces. I've spent part of the morning looking at SOG, Spyderco and CRKT but I'm having trouble deciding. These are a couple I've looked at:

Assisted Opening Knives - Notorious - CRKT
SOG Salute Knife In Black Oxide Finish From SOG Specialty Knives & Tools
:: Spyderco Product Details ::
:: Spyderco Product Details ::

Color isn't a big deal to me, I'm not necessarily looking for something to blend in and cool-looking knives are a plus. The Crossbill is an unusual one, you don't see those every day. I'm looking to spend no more than $60 because I'm pretty hard on knives, and I also would prefer a blade at least 3" long. If anyone has any experience with these or has any other suggestions I'm all ears.
spend an extra 50 you can get a gerber 06 automatic, mine as been through hell and back, bigger then most edc knives but you cant go wrong with it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.