I broke my EDC! :/ Need a new one...

This is a discussion on I broke my EDC! :/ Need a new one... within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys, today is a sad day. Well, not that sad, but disappointing. I broke the pocket clip on my SOG Trident folder and have ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: I broke my EDC! :/ Need a new one...

Hey guys, today is a sad day. Well, not that sad, but disappointing. I broke the pocket clip on my SOG Trident folder and have decided to just replace the knife. I was walking past the front of my Jeep and the pocket clip snagged on the jack I have mounted on the bumper, broke it into three pieces. I've spent part of the morning looking at SOG, Spyderco and CRKT but I'm having trouble deciding. These are a couple I've looked at:

http://www.crkt.com/McGinnis-Notorio...OutBurst-Knife
    http://sogknives.com/store/FF-11.html
    http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=181
    http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=266

Color isn't a big deal to me, I'm not necessarily looking for something to blend in and cool-looking knives are a plus. The Crossbill is an unusual one, you don't see those every day. I'm looking to spend no more than $60 because I'm pretty hard on knives, and I also would prefer a blade at least 3" long. If anyone has any experience with these or has any other suggestions I'm all ears.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

why not just contact sog and get another pocket clip........

The Trident did have a couple things that bugged me so it's an excuse to get a new knife. Originally the little safety latch seemed like a good idea, but it can turn annoying real fast. Like I said, I've beat it all to heck for a couple years, I'm just up for a replacement now.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

I am a benchmade axis lock guy, I will accept no substitute for my EDC

VIP Member
    Do you prefer folders or fixed blades? Is there a particular blade length you're partial to?
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

A folder is probably best. My company's clients are exclusively banks (IT and networking, not security) and they might not like seeing a fixed blade on my belt. I usually clip in the pocket. My SOG is about a 4 1/4" blade and that's just a bit excessive, I'm looking at 3-3 1/2".

Man, I'm not a fan of Benchmade's website. Over half the knives I looked at under their product search are discontinued once you get to the product page. That's kind of annoying.

Anyone have experience ordering from www.bladehq.com? They seem to have pretty low prices.
    Last edited by paaiyan; August 10th, 2010 at 01:53 PM.
    My blog

Look at the Byrd Cara Cara if you want a little longer blade. I have one I use for EDC and these knives are the best $20 youll ever spend. Ive never had a knife as sharp as this one. It deploys very fast. I also carry a Spyderco Native. The Native is probaly my most favorite, but I dont carry it because I like it so much, dont want to lose it. When you get ready to buy look on E-bay, some great prices on Byrd knives.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Cold Steel came out with the recon series folding knives. Looks like they're bullet proof. Click the link and see the video. You be the judge!

Al Mar SERE 2000 hands down. Favorite EDC knife ever.

Benchmade Griptilian 551..very light weight, great grip, alot of blad, good lock.. could be shipped for under 80$

spyderco delica 4 or endura 4 can be had for 50 to 60 bucks online
    also the benchmade griptilian and mini grip can be had for around
    60 to 70 bucks online. all four knives are great. and have loyal following's

Quote Originally Posted by cervantes View Post
    spyderco delica 4 or endura 4 can be had for 50 to 60 bucks online
    also the benchmade griptilian and mini grip can be had for around
    60 to 70 bucks online. all four knives are great. and have loyal following's
    +1 for endura or delica! I LOVE my endura. However if your using it in a professional work environment the smaller delica is probably the way to go.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    Both Benchmade and Spyderco have excellent mid-range options (about $100 MSRP). I would suggest finding a local dealer and trying them out before you buy as the handles of each type are suited to different people's wants and requirements. I am a Griptilian fan (especially the 550HG) along with a large group on this board and George (mercop) likes the Endura along with another large chunk of folks on this board. Same goes with the Mini-Griptilians and the Delica (I actually prefer the Delica in this comparison).

You won't be disappointed with either until you handle the one you didn't buy...
    chazz likes this.

I really havn't found another knife that will compare to the Benchmade auto stryker, I carried it for a year overseas and then back here for a couple years before some slimeball stole it. well worth the money and dont hurt that I live 20 minutes from Benchmade. I have tried, but Alas, I am going to have to spend the money for another one!
    KAHR CW45, RIA 1911 Officer, S&W Sigma 9MM, Savage 1907 .32cal(BUG)

I have a Spyderco Native - got it at Wal mart of all places, was less than $40 if I recall. I like that the clip is reversible, you can carry it any way you want. VERY sharp.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links