Fixed Blade EDC - Page 2

Fixed Blade EDC

This is a discussion on Fixed Blade EDC within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm really very close to saying "screw it!" and dumping a folder from my EDC forever, honestly. Most of my travel is between jurisdictions that ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fixed Blade EDC

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    I'm really very close to saying "screw it!" and dumping a folder from my EDC forever, honestly. Most of my travel is between jurisdictions that allow fixed blade carry so it's not a legal issue for me. Like the Ka-Bar TDI video says, "The slowest fixed blade deployment we see is still about twice as fast as the fastest folder deployment we see."

Just grip it and rip it!

Yet another thumbs up for the Ka-Bar TDI 'Law Enforcement' model.
    Mine is fully serrated rather than half and it's sharp as hell.
    Yes it will plunge as well as slice, with _ease_...I'd tested it as on multiple types of meats in various cuts/grains and species.

Image source - http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...u=00628757000P

Not a general purpose intent box & tape cutting knife; For that spend .$49 on a razor knife or a $4.99 razor box cutter at Home Depot.

One item to know, the grip is made of lightly stippled plastic.
    For a test go handle some sort of raw meat such as ground beef or a fresh steak and get your hands nice and bloody...Then go try to handle and grasp as to keep hold of that grip. Difficult.
    I wrapped mine in skateboard tape. Problem solved.

I own the serrated TDI-LEO, the TDI-LEO training knife (dull/flat edge) and the large size TDI combat knife which I have attached to my hunting day pack.

Run a search here,there are very many thread on this model knife in specific.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I also recommend the KA-Bar TDI, but I carry a Smith & Wesson SWHRT9B Black HRT Boot Knife. I got in in February and it's still in great condition.

Just an update. I ordered the Tops Shadow Tracker last week and received it yesterday. Man what a knife! It is exactly what I was looking for! it is one heavy duty knife. the cutting edge is 4", LOA is 8-5/8", blade is 3/16" 154CM RC-60, the handle is golf ball dimpled G-10. Sheath is Kydex with a rotating steel spring clip so it can be carried in any way you like, vertical, horizontal, any angle. Balance in the hand is terrific. I would say anyone looking for a good fixed blade EDC cannot go wrong looking at Tops Knives.

Shadow Tracker can be seen here http://www.topsknives.com/product_in...roducts_id=124
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

I've got many knives, but my EDC fixed blade is a cheap Meyerco Wharning. I made a horizontal carry sheath for it, but it's great at opening packages and you can't beat a whancliff for slicing depth.

http://www.bladehq.com/item--Meyerco...inkerton--6416

A fixed blade knife that I have carried on an EDC basis is the Kershaw Boot Knife It comes with an interesting and very handy sheath and straps which allow it to be worn a variety of ways (I've never worn it as a boot knife). I tend to carry it on my belt horizontally which works just fine for me. Great little knife.
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

I have a Cold Steel Peacekeeper II 5.5", Camillus boot knife 4.25" and small Ka-bar TDI.

I keep them razor sharp and don't use them, so to not dull the blades. Keep strictly for self defense.

I tend to favor the Peace Keeper II. It's only 7.9 oz with sheath and tek-lok.

Not sure why I bought the TDI. I've never carried it and probably won't.

My EDC is this: click on pic to enlarge

IMAG0152.jpg

CRKT Triumph N.E.C.K

I carry it horizontal, weak sidoe, 1:00

My opinion, I dont really like fix blades, I suggest a folding knife, even better if you can get an automatic one. A small flix blade should be comfortable depending on where you have it
    “What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.” Albert Pike

Quote Originally Posted by guardmt View Post
    My opinion, I dont really like fix blades, I suggest a folding knife, even better if you can get an automatic one. A small flix blade should be comfortable depending on where you have it

Only problem I have with using a folding knife for self defense....they fold. I prefer not having to worry about my knife's locking mechanism failing during hand-to-hand and losing several fingers or worse. I'll keep my fixed blade and focus all my attention and mental engery on surviving combat.

Quote Originally Posted by guardmt View Post
    I also have 2 auto's. CQD MARK I and a Microtech Halo III.

The Halo III is only 3.6 oz with a 4" blade. I tend to carry it when I don't feel like dealing with the extra weight of a fixed blade. It also opens out the front and not the side, which is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by EB31 View Post
    Only problem I have with using a folding knife for self defense....they fold. I prefer not having to worry about my knife's locking mechanism failing during hand-to-hand and losing several fingers or worse. I'll keep my fixed blade and focus all my attention and mental engery on surviving combat.
    The other advantage is the sheer "Grip it and rip it" simplicity and speed of fixed blades vs. folders. You're about 1/10th as likely to porkchop an unobstructed fixed blade deployment under the stress of an altercation as you are a folder because you don't have to fart around with the fixed blade in your hand at all. Yes, the person reading this right now might be the Bruce Lee of folder deployment but the rest of us are not. Now add that the TDI Academy classes show time and again that a familiar folder deploys at least twice as slowly (and usually closer to three times as slow) as a fixed blade that the student has handled for around ten minutes and you can see the issues compounding yet again against the use of a folder for a dedicated SD weapon.

You see on here people talking about how great Glocks are for SD because you just have to draw it and pull the trigger. Dead simple operation. Why is it suddenly a complete 180 with knives where a more complex operation under stress is a good thing?
    Last edited by psychophipps; September 19th, 2010 at 11:36 AM. Reason: editting

Quote Originally Posted by psychophipps View Post
    The other advantage is the sheer "Grip it and rip it" simplicity and speed of fixed blades vs. folders. You're about 1/10th as likely to porkchop an unobstructed fixed blade deployment under the stress of an altercation as you are a folder because you don't have to fart around with the fixed blade in your hand at all. Yes, the person reading this right now might be the Bruce Lee of folder deployment but the rest of us are not. Now add that the TDI Academy classes show time and again that a familiar folder deploys at least twice as slowly (and usually closer to three times as slow) as a fixed blade that the student has handled for around ten minutes and you can see the issues compounding yet again against the use of a folder for a dedicated SD weapon.

You see on here people talking about how great Glocks are for SD because you just have to draw it and pull the trigger. Dead simple operation. Why is it suddenly a complete 180 with knives where a more complex operation under stress is a good thing?
    Well said sir.

IMHO what folders have going for them is that you can predeploy and palm them closed. I have done this on several occasions. This also allows you to used the closed folder as an impact weapon if for some reason you do not have the time or space to open the blade, or the threat level has changed not requiring deadly force. We actually teach this as part of drawing a folder in Inverted Edge Tactics. If you try to draw a folder and deploy the blade in one motion you may fail at one, or both. Folders are also usually able to be hidden in plain sight, beneath the belt line in the pockets making it easy to access then a fixed blade depending on location of carry.

The problem with the majority of fixed blades are the factory sheaths. The are sometimes great carry options (secure the knife) but are terrible deployment options. I would also avoid any daggers/double edge blades. They are illegal in many places, and even if that in not the case they are likely to be a civil liability. - George

Quote Originally Posted by mercop View Post
    IMHO what folders have going for them is that you can predeploy and palm them closed. I have done this on several occasions. This also allows you to used the closed folder as an impact weapon if for some reason you do not have the time or space to open the blade, or the threat level has changed not requiring deadly force. We actually teach this as part of drawing a folder in Inverted Edge Tactics. If you try to draw a folder and deploy the blade in one motion you may fail at one, or both. Folders are also usually able to be hidden in plain sight, beneath the belt line in the pockets making it easier to access then a fixed blade depending on location of carry.

The problem with the majority of fixed blades are the factory sheaths. The are sometimes great carry options (secure the knife) but are terrible deployment options. I would also avoid any daggers/double edge blades. They are illegal in many places, and even if that in not the case they are likely to be a civil liability. - George
    Some great info here, mercop. Thanks for putting this up. I agree with the caveat that you (as in the person reading this) need to understand that while bonking someone with a closed folder is certainly less lethal, you're still slapping someone around with a knife. Knives are lethal force in the US so don't be at all surprised if your justification for using your folder as a bonk stick comes up in the future. There isn't any real legal difference in any laws that I have read on using a closed vs an open folder as a weapon.

Sheath location is as issue for deployment of fixed blades but effective forethought forestalls this, just like with a firearm.

I agree completely with the sheath comment, George. I used to be happy with factory sheaths except in rare instances were they really sucked, but getting some nice sheaths and great deployment options from Invictus Kydex at your advisement completely gave that attitude a 180. Quality sheaths, just like a quality holster, will really open your eyes to the possibilities and the issues that you didn't even realize that you were working through that limited your reaction times.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links